Microsoft Anti-Piracy Hooks

There is this yutz who is making a claim of getting Win-XP Pro from
E-bay for $55. I am highly skeptical, especially when he told me
that he does not even need to activate it. Sounds phony to me but I
need a bit more to make sure.

Is it true that the Corporate version does not require activation,
maybe that is what he got?

How about any hooks that Microsoft puts on the software - The
holograph could not be duplicated, at least as far as I know unless
it is a very sophisticated operation.

What other anti-theft hooks can I inquire about, I almost have him
convinced it is a pirate copy but need to get a slam-dunk.

Ciao,
Falcon
--
Ciao,
Falcon

    You might also want to ask him if the copy he is selling is an OEM (Original
    Equipment Manufacturer) version or a FULL RETAIL version. If it is an OEM
    copy of the software then it would not need to be activated since it was only
    meant to be installed on the computer that it came with. The other thing
    that you could ask him for is the part number of the product that he is
    selling since they should all be the same for a particular release of Windows
    XP.

    Falcon wrote:
    > There is this yutz who is making a claim of getting Win-XP Pro from
    > E-bay for $55.

    He may well have done so, but it's not likely to be a legitimate
    license, at that price, unless the seller was really desperate.

    > I am highly skeptical, especially when he told me
    > that he does not even need to activate it. Sounds phony to me but I
    > need a bit more to make sure.

    Your skepticism seems to be well-founded. One should be very careful
    buying any software on eBay, as eBay makes no prior effort to ensure
    that such sales are legitimate; they react only when someone files a
    complaint. (And then all that really happens is the seller of the
    pirated software returns using a different alias, to continue selling
    illegitimate licenses.)

    > Is it true that the Corporate version does not require activation,
    > maybe that is what he got?

    Actually, there is no such thing as WinXP "Corporate Edition." That is
    a term applied exclusively to pirated (iow, stolen) copies of the Volume
    Licensed WinXP Pro by the "warez" aficionados. It's true that the Volume
    Licensed version of WinXP Pro doesn't need activation, but this product
    is available only through specifically licensed vendors, and one must
    purchase a minimum of 5 licenses. Further, the VL license is only an
    upgrade; you must already own a license for the qualifying products.

    > How about any hooks that Microsoft puts on the software - The
    > holograph could not be duplicated, at least as far as I know unless
    > it is a very sophisticated operation.
    >
    > What other anti-theft hooks can I inquire about, I almost have him
    > convinced it is a pirate copy but need to get a slam-dunk.

    Licensing: How to Tell
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Many thanks to all who responded, I just picked this post to respond
    to everyone. I am better educated now and can see if the yutz will
    pony up any real evidence or not about his E-bay "bargain."

    Ciao,
    Falcon

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:31:04 -0600, Bruce Chambers
    <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

    >Falcon wrote:
    >> There is this yutz who is making a claim of getting Win-XP Pro from
    >> E-bay for $55.
    >

    > He may well have done so, but it's not likely to be a legitimate
    >license, at that price, unless the seller was really desperate.
    >

    >> I am highly skeptical, especially when he told me
    >> that he does not even need to activate it. Sounds phony to me but I
    >> need a bit more to make sure.
    >>

    > Your skepticism seems to be well-founded. One should be very careful
    >buying any software on eBay, as eBay makes no prior effort to ensure
    >that such sales are legitimate; they react only when someone files a
    >complaint. (And then all that really happens is the seller of the
    >pirated software returns using a different alias, to continue selling
    >illegitimate licenses.)
    >

    >> Is it true that the Corporate version does not require activation,
    >> maybe that is what he got?
    >>

    > Actually, there is no such thing as WinXP "Corporate Edition." That is
    >a term applied exclusively to pirated (iow, stolen) copies of the Volume
    >Licensed WinXP Pro by the "warez" aficionados. It's true that the Volume
    >Licensed version of WinXP Pro doesn't need activation, but this product
    >is available only through specifically licensed vendors, and one must
    >purchase a minimum of 5 licenses. Further, the VL license is only an
    >upgrade; you must already own a license for the qualifying products.
    >

    >> How about any hooks that Microsoft puts on the software - The
    >> holograph could not be duplicated, at least as far as I know unless
    >> it is a very sophisticated operation.
    >>
    >> What other anti-theft hooks can I inquire about, I almost have him
    >> convinced it is a pirate copy but need to get a slam-dunk.
    >>

    >Licensing: How to Tell
    >http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

    --
    Ciao,
    Falcon

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:49:01 -0700, "Cliff"
    <Cliff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >You might also want to ask him if the copy he is selling is an OEM (Original
    >Equipment Manufacturer) version or a FULL RETAIL version. If it is an OEM
    >copy of the software then it would not need to be activated since it was only
    >meant to be installed on the computer that it came with.

    This could be fun in a "you learned a lesson" sort of way. Does this
    mean it (OEM version) will not install on another brand (another
    configuration) machine?

    --
    Ciao,
    Falcon

    Falcon wrote:
    > There is this yutz who is making a claim of getting Win-XP Pro from
    > E-bay for $55. I am highly skeptical, especially when he told me
    > that he does not even need to activate it. Sounds phony to me but I
    > need a bit more to make sure.
    >
    > Is it true that the Corporate version does not require activation,
    > maybe that is what he got?
    >
    > How about any hooks that Microsoft puts on the software - The
    > holograph could not be duplicated, at least as far as I know unless
    > it is a very sophisticated operation.
    >
    > What other anti-theft hooks can I inquire about, I almost have him
    > convinced it is a pirate copy but need to get a slam-dunk.

    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC.mspx
    Or better yet:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/default.mspx

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    There is no such thing as a "corporate" version of Windows XP.
    Likely, you'll purchase a "pirated" copy that is ineligible for updates
    and is 100% illegal. Purchase Windows XP from a reputable company.

    Example:

    Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Falcon wrote:
    > There is this yutz who is making a claim of getting Win-XP Pro from
    > E-bay for $55. I am highly skeptical, especially when he told me
    > that he does not even need to activate it. Sounds phony to me but I
    > need a bit more to make sure.
    >
    > Is it true that the Corporate version does not require activation,
    > maybe that is what he got?
    >
    > How about any hooks that Microsoft puts on the software - The
    > holograph could not be duplicated, at least as far as I know unless
    > it is a very sophisticated operation.
    >
    > What other anti-theft hooks can I inquire about, I almost have him
    > convinced it is a pirate copy but need to get a slam-dunk.
    >
    > Ciao,
    > Falcon

    MS has only published two VL Product IDs that have been pirated. If the
    ebay copy doesn't have one of the two Product IDs, then you cannot get a
    "slam-dunk."

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    Hello Bruce,

    There is actually a volume license or "enterprise" version of XP that is not
    an upgrade. It does not need to be activated, but does need a key just as
    any XP install would.

    > Falcon wrote:
    >> There is this yutz who is making a claim of getting Win-XP Pro from
    >> E-bay for $55.
    >

    > He may well have done so, but it's not likely to be a legitimate license,
    > at that price, unless the seller was really desperate.
    >

    >> I am highly skeptical, especially when he told me
    >> that he does not even need to activate it. Sounds phony to me but I
    >> need a bit more to make sure.
    >>

    > Your skepticism seems to be well-founded. One should be very careful
    > buying any software on eBay, as eBay makes no prior effort to ensure that
    > such sales are legitimate; they react only when someone files a complaint.
    > (And then all that really happens is the seller of the pirated software
    > returns using a different alias, to continue selling illegitimate
    > licenses.)
    >

    >> Is it true that the Corporate version does not require activation,
    >> maybe that is what he got?
    >>

    > Actually, there is no such thing as WinXP "Corporate Edition." That is a
    > term applied exclusively to pirated (iow, stolen) copies of the Volume
    > Licensed WinXP Pro by the "warez" aficionados. It's true that the Volume
    > Licensed version of WinXP Pro doesn't need activation, but this product is
    > available only through specifically licensed vendors, and one must
    > purchase a minimum of 5 licenses. Further, the VL license is only an
    > upgrade; you must already own a license for the qualifying products.
    >

    >> How about any hooks that Microsoft puts on the software - The
    >> holograph could not be duplicated, at least as far as I know unless
    >> it is a very sophisticated operation.
    >>
    >> What other anti-theft hooks can I inquire about, I almost have him
    >> convinced it is a pirate copy but need to get a slam-dunk.
    >>

    > Licensing: How to Tell
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Said it before, I'll say it again. There is a corporate version. A legal
    version that does not require activation.

    > There is no such thing as a "corporate" version of Windows XP.
    > Likely, you'll purchase a "pirated" copy that is ineligible for updates
    > and is 100% illegal. Purchase Windows XP from a reputable company.
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
    > http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Falcon" wrote:
    >
    > | There is this yutz who is making a claim of getting Win-XP Pro from
    > | E-bay for $55. I am highly skeptical, especially when he told me
    > | that he does not even need to activate it. Sounds phony to me but I
    > | need a bit more to make sure.
    > |
    > | Is it true that the Corporate version does not require activation,
    > | maybe that is what he got?
    > |
    > | How about any hooks that Microsoft puts on the software - The
    > | holograph could not be duplicated, at least as far as I know unless
    > | it is a very sophisticated operation.
    > |
    > | What other anti-theft hooks can I inquire about, I almost have him
    > | convinced it is a pirate copy but need to get a slam-dunk.
    > |
    > | Ciao,
    > | Falcon
    > | --
    > | Ciao,
    > | Falcon

    Would you care to visit www.microsoft.com and find a link
    to the "corporate" version of Windows XP? It does not exist!

    A "Volume License" version of Windows XP does exist, does
    not require Product Activation, can be purchased only if you
    purchase a minimum of five licenses, and is not called "corporate".

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Would you care to visit www.microsoft.com and find a link
    > to the "corporate" version of Windows XP? It does not exist!
    >
    > A "Volume License" version of Windows XP does exist, does
    > not require Product Activation, can be purchased only if you
    > purchase a minimum of five licenses, and is not called "corporate".

    VL is often called "corporate." MS just doesn't call it that, but many
    of its customers do.

    --

    > Would you care to visit www.microsoft.com and find a link
    > to the "corporate" version of Windows XP? It does not exist!

    That would only mean it isn't referenced on MS' site, not that it "does not
    exist".

    > A "Volume License" version of Windows XP does exist,

    You're changing the subject. Tombraider exists too and doesn't require
    activation.

    Alias

    In news:eJxH4b5hFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Manny Borges <manny_borges@hotmail.com> typed:

    > Said it before, I'll say it again. There is a corporate
    > version. A
    > legal version that does not require activation.

    It doesn't matter how many times you say it, it is *not* correct.

    There *is* a legal version that is sold to corporations, and
    doesn't require activation. It's called a volume licensed
    version.

    There is *no* version that is called "corporate version." The
    term "corporate version" is used almost exclusively to refer to
    pirated versions.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in
    > message
    >> There is no such thing as a "corporate" version of Windows XP.
    >> Likely, you'll purchase a "pirated" copy that is ineligible
    >> for
    >> updates and is 100% illegal. Purchase Windows XP from a
    >> reputable
    >> company. Example:
    >>
    >> Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
    >> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>
    >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
    >> Technologies:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "Falcon" wrote:
    >>
    >>> There is this yutz who is making a claim of getting Win-XP
    >>> Pro from
    >>> E-bay for $55. I am highly skeptical, especially when he
    >>> told me
    >>> that he does not even need to activate it. Sounds phony to
    >>> me but I
    >>> need a bit more to make sure.
    >>>
    >>> Is it true that the Corporate version does not require
    >>> activation,
    >>> maybe that is what he got?
    >>>
    >>> How about any hooks that Microsoft puts on the software - The
    >>> holograph could not be duplicated, at least as far as I know
    >>> unless
    >>> it is a very sophisticated operation.
    >>>
    >>> What other anti-theft hooks can I inquire about, I almost
    >>> have him
    >>> convinced it is a pirate copy but need to get a slam-dunk.
    >>>
    >>> Ciao,
    >>> Falcon
    >>> --
    >>> Ciao,
    >>> Falcon

    > VL is often called "corporate." MS just doesn't call it that, but many
    > of its customers do.

    In the case of "corporate" for "customers" read "pirates"!

    We call it "corporate", we're a "customer", we paid for it, and are not
    pirates.

    Tom

    Gordon wrote:
    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    > message news:#pdOyu7hFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> VL is often called "corporate." MS just doesn't call it that, but
    >> many of its customers do.
    >
    > In the case of "corporate" for "customers" read "pirates"!

    Yeah, if you are in the habit of judging people without any evidence to
    support your judgement.

    And as the good book says, "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    "Gordon" got on his high moral horse and wrote

    > "kurttrail" wrote
    >> VL is often called "corporate." MS just doesn't call it that, but many
    >> of its customers do.
    >
    > In the case of "corporate" for "customers" read "pirates"!

    Not to mention a great price! I was thinking the other day and, you know, XP
    retail is the most expensive thing on a computer, even if one has a TFT
    monitor. As far as I am concerned MS are highway robbers charging so much
    for a "licence" to use software that one doesn't even own.

    --
    Alias

    Ken Blake wrote:
    > In news:eJxH4b5hFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Manny Borges <manny_borges@hotmail.com> typed:
    >
    >> Said it before, I'll say it again. There is a corporate
    >> version. A
    >> legal version that does not require activation.
    >

    > It doesn't matter how many times you say it, it is *not* correct.
    >
    > There *is* a legal version that is sold to corporations, and
    > doesn't require activation. It's called a volume licensed
    > version.
    >
    > There is *no* version that is called "corporate version." The
    > term "corporate version" is used almost exclusively to refer to
    > pirated versions.

    Not true. Many people refer to VL as corporate. MS doesn't, but the
    last time I looked MS isn't a people.

    Until XP, "corporate" was used mostly to refer to VL copies of Windows.
    Since XP, those that used the term "corporate" to refer to VL, still use
    it.

    Only people that are ignorant automatically assume that "corporate"
    means "pirated."

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Thank you, Kurt.

    Tom

    Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    > Thank you, Kurt.

    You're welcome, Tom.

    Too many people around here assume piracy on no evidence whatsoever.

    Unless a person comes out and says that "I use Pirated Windows" or "I
    distribute Windows to others without the copyright owners permission,"
    people should be extremely cautious about throwing around the P-word
    willy-nilly.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Alias had this to say:

    > "Gordon" got on his high moral horse and wrote
    >
    >> "kurttrail" wrote
    >>> VL is often called "corporate." MS just doesn't call it that, but many
    >>> of its customers do.
    >>
    >> In the case of "corporate" for "customers" read "pirates"!
    >
    > Not to mention a great price! I was thinking the other day and, you know,
    > XP retail is the most expensive thing on a computer, even if one has a TFT
    > monitor. As far as I am concerned MS are highway robbers charging so much
    > for a "licence" to use software that one doesn't even own.

    And frankly doesn't even need.

    --
    Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
    Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus

    > Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    > > Thank you, Kurt.
    >
    > You're welcome, Tom.
    >
    > Too many people around here assume piracy on no evidence whatsoever.

    Ah but I'm a Linux troll.......<bg>
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Gordon wrote:
    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    > message news:OiqkkIBiFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
    >>> Thank you, Kurt.
    >>
    >> You're welcome, Tom.
    >>
    >> Too many people around here assume piracy on no evidence whatsoever.
    >
    > Ah but I'm a Linux troll.......<bg>

    Cool! Go type some arcane syntax into a command line. ;-)

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > Gordon wrote:
    > > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    > > message news:OiqkkIBiFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > >>
    > >> You're welcome, Tom.
    > >>
    > >> Too many people around here assume piracy on no evidence whatsoever.
    > >
    > > Ah but I'm a Linux troll.......<bg>
    >
    > Cool! Go type some arcane syntax into a command line. ;-)

    You mean something like:
    $ export GLOBAL_CFLAGS="-I/usr/include -L/home/guenter/xine_libs"
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
    > > Gordon wrote:
    > > > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    > > > message news:OiqkkIBiFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

    > > > Ah but I'm a Linux troll.......<bg>
    > >
    > > Cool! Go type some arcane syntax into a command line. ;-)
    > >

    > You mean something like:
    > $ export GLOBAL_CFLAGS="-I/usr/include -L/home/guenter/xine_libs"

    ack !! That looks just like something I would put in a make file in my unix
    world ...
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message

    > > > Cool! Go type some arcane syntax into a command line. ;-)
    > > >

    > > You mean something like:
    > > $ export GLOBAL_CFLAGS="-I/usr/include -L/home/guenter/xine_libs"
    > >

    > ack !! That looks just like something I would put in a make file in my
    unix
    > world ...

    Well Linux IS a derivative of Unix, after all......
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, kurttrail had this to say:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    >> message news:OiqkkIBiFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >>>
    >>> You're welcome, Tom.
    >>>
    >>> Too many people around here assume piracy on no evidence whatsoever.
    >>
    >> Ah but I'm a Linux troll.......<bg>
    >
    > Cool! Go type some arcane syntax into a command line. ;-)

    Do you mean like this?

    ntbackup backup \\iggy-multi\c$ /m normal /j "My Job 1" /p "Backup" /n
    "Command Line Backup 1" /d "Command Line
    Functionality" /v:yes /r:no /l:s /rs:no /hc:on

    Oops, I guess not, that's a XP commandline, that doesn't contain any "arcane
    syntax".

    --
    Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
    Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus
    definitions. And NEVER connect to the Internet!
    http://w-3productions.com/more.jpg

Piracy Microsoft Windows XP