Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows Installer no longer can access domain shares (all ..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:50:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Our domain is having problems all of a sudden. Windows Installer for MS
Office 2000 is trying to install something but the installer has gets access
denied at the share where originally installed from. No changes to the
system have been made except leaving on auto-updates on our XP machines.
Users can freely access the share, yet Windows Installer gets access denied.
What gives? Has there been a recent update to Windows Installer that is
causing grief on Server 2003 + XP domains. Have not installed 2003 Server
SP1 patch yet even.

Thanks in advance.

regards,
grol
July 13, 2005 6:50:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Wrong group but good luck!

Info in the meantime:

"Every time I launch my application, Windows Installer performs an
installation. How can I determine the cause of the on-demand installation?"
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/...

Windows Installer Issues (Line 348) Right hand side
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" Error Message When You
Add or Remove Program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315346

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"grolschie" <grolschie@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
news:lk%Ae.187$PL5.53223@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Our domain is having problems all of a sudden. Windows Installer for MS
> Office 2000 is trying to install something but the installer has gets
> access denied at the share where originally installed from. No changes to
> the system have been made except leaving on auto-updates on our XP
> machines. Users can freely access the share, yet Windows Installer gets
> access denied. What gives? Has there been a recent update to Windows
> Installer that is causing grief on Server 2003 + XP domains. Have not
> installed 2003 Server SP1 patch yet even.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> regards,
> grol
>
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:37:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:e7VijI2hFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Wrong group but good luck!

Thanks for the links. I am pretty sure its an XP update that caused the
issue though.
grol
Related resources
July 13, 2005 8:37:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You are most welcome. However, that wouldn't surprise me. :o ) Keep us
posted, am interested.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"grolschie" <grolschie@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
news:6U0Be.214$PL5.54728@news.xtra.co.nz...
>
> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:e7VijI2hFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Wrong group but good luck!
>
> Thanks for the links. I am pretty sure its an XP update that caused the
> issue though.
> grol
>
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:33:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:eisKKj2hFHA.328@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> You are most welcome. However, that wouldn't surprise me. :o ) Keep us
> posted, am interested.

:-)

Is there a way to specify with rights a program can use as? Force it to run
as a domain user account?

My only short term solution is to disable Windows Installer on our XP
machines via Group Policy in the meantime. Not a great solution.
grol
!