Windows Installer no longer can access domain shares (all ..

Our domain is having problems all of a sudden. Windows Installer for MS
Office 2000 is trying to install something but the installer has gets access
denied at the share where originally installed from. No changes to the
system have been made except leaving on auto-updates on our XP machines.
Users can freely access the share, yet Windows Installer gets access denied.
What gives? Has there been a recent update to Windows Installer that is
causing grief on Server 2003 + XP domains. Have not installed 2003 Server
SP1 patch yet even.

Thanks in advance.

regards,
grol
4 answers Last reply
More about windows installer longer access domain shares

    Wrong group but good luck!

    Info in the meantime:

    "Every time I launch my application, Windows Installer performs an
    installation. How can I determine the cause of the on-demand installation?"
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.mspx

    Windows Installer Issues (Line 348) Right hand side

    The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" Error Message When You
    Add or Remove Program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315346

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    > Wrong group but good luck!

    Thanks for the links. I am pretty sure its an XP update that caused the
    issue though.
    grol

    You are most welcome. However, that wouldn't surprise me. :o) Keep us
    posted, am interested.

    --

    > You are most welcome. However, that wouldn't surprise me. :o) Keep us
    > posted, am interested.

    :-)

    Is there a way to specify with rights a program can use as? Force it to run
    as a domain user account?

    My only short term solution is to disable Windows Installer on our XP
    machines via Group Policy in the meantime. Not a great solution.
    grol

Windows Installer Domain Windows XP