Selecting drives for RAID

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • NAS / RAID
  • Security
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 9, 2004 7:44:41 PM

I'm building a PC and want to use RAID 0 for the speed it offers but I would prefer to use 0+1 for the security as well. The question becomes what speed of HD am I going to use. The 10K speed hard drives cost about 2x the 7200s so I'm either going to buy two 10K drives and use RAID 0 or I'll buy four 7200s and use raid 0+1.

Any suggestions?

More about : selecting drives raid

December 9, 2004 8:12:23 PM

I cant help to consider data security as high on my list, so I would go with 0+1 or get a go with RAID 5 or something like a http://www.netcell.com/" target="_blank"> Netcell [/url} controller

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
December 9, 2004 8:43:58 PM

Does RAID 5 give anywhere near the performance increase that you get from Raid 0? Raid 5 would be better than 0+1 because then I only need to buy 3 drives instead of 4.

Thanks.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 9, 2004 9:00:56 PM

RAID % is better than 1, but less than 0

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
December 10, 2004 1:01:32 AM

The performance of RAID5 depends on the number of drives you use and the power of the controller. 3 drives would probably make RAID5 a little slower than RAID 0, but 4 drives might give it a small advantage. As you increase the number of drives you can go to exotic arrays such as RAID50, which gives you RAID5 and RAID0.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>