Problematic external HD

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 9, 2004 11:06:55 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know why there is no drive letter appear in "my computer" tab when I plugged an external HDD into my desktop??

I just bought this HD with its external case. I partitioned the drive in my laptop in NTFS(or something like that :)  format

I don't understand why the drive letter won't appear in my desktop. I checked the device manager and they're not there. But the usb port gives me a message that something is plugged in.

Please help me. I'm a newbie and have no idea what to do.
Thanks b4 :) 

More about : problematic external

December 10, 2004 12:05:59 AM

Can it be seen in Disk Management console (type <b>diskmgmt.msc</b> at <b>Run</b> command)? If it does, you can assign a drive letter from there.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
December 10, 2004 12:38:48 AM

You can find "disk management" if you right click on "my computer" and scroll down to "manage".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 11, 2004 8:54:14 AM

yes, i tried disk management before. The strange thing is that they don't read any exsistence of other drive except my old drives (c: and e:) , but the usb read an external hd's been connected.
I don't understand with all of this. Now I'm thinking is this because I partitioned my master (C:)  drive into two partitions (C: and E:) ?? But I'm sure it shouldn't be like that...:( 
!