jancukon

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004
Hi,

Does anyone know why there is no drive letter appear in "my computer" tab when I plugged an external HDD into my desktop??

I just bought this HD with its external case. I partitioned the drive in my laptop in NTFS(or something like that :) format

I don't understand why the drive letter won't appear in my desktop. I checked the device manager and they're not there. But the usb port gives me a message that something is plugged in.

Please help me. I'm a newbie and have no idea what to do.
Thanks b4 :)

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Can it be seen in Disk Management console (type <b>diskmgmt.msc</b> at <b>Run</b> command)? If it does, you can assign a drive letter from there.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can find "disk management" if you right click on "my computer" and scroll down to "manage".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jancukon

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004
yes, i tried disk management before. The strange thing is that they don't read any exsistence of other drive except my old drives (c: and e:), but the usb read an external hd's been connected.
I don't understand with all of this. Now I'm thinking is this because I partitioned my master (C:) drive into two partitions (C: and E:)?? But I'm sure it shouldn't be like that...:(

TRENDING THREADS