Error 1406 Installing Software

July 13, 2005 12:44:48 AM

Hi.

I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2. As a recently rebuilt this computer,
it's a pretty clean installation. I'm running Trend Micro Internet
Security and Microsoft antispyware.

There have been several application that I've tried to install -
nothing crazy - a few imaging programs and some little utilities.
Nonetheless, I get dialog boxes saying "Error 1406: Could not write
value to key \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\System....and
various keys. Why is this doing this? I haven't edited the registry.
I don't run anything weird. I've never done anything strange with
users or groups. This is a single-user machine, and I'm an
administrator. Now, for some reason, I can't install software because
Windows thinks I don't have access to write to the registry.
Interesting. yes, I've disabled both Trend and MS Antispyware to no
avail.

This is getting very very very annoying. If I have to rebuild this
machine AGAIN I'm going to lose it. I've been using some form of MS
Windows since 1990, and I've never been so frustrated with the product
than now.
July 13, 2005 3:11:23 AM

Start with disabling your AV software and/or checking your settings within.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP