Workgroup / Domain Issue

I've got a WinXP Pro desktop with an established
workgroup connected to a wireless router. I also have a
work laptop that is already a member of a domain at work.

How can I safely make this a member of my workgroup at
home without messing up the domain config?

(I do have Admin rights on the laptop.)

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about workgroup domain issue

    Only if you don't want to be able to join the domain back at work
    without a network admin fixing the computer.

    The network administrators tend to frown on people who take there
    computers off the domain because it causes more work for them that they
    shouldn't have to do.

    Tony wrote:

    > I've got a WinXP Pro desktop with an established
    > workgroup connected to a wireless router. I also have a
    > work laptop that is already a member of a domain at work.
    >
    > How can I safely make this a member of my workgroup at
    > home without messing up the domain config?
    >
    > (I do have Admin rights on the laptop.)
    >
    > Thanks.

    Oh I forgot to mention in my last post this would be a Windows issue.

    This Newsgroup is for the Microsoft networking hardware only.

    Tony wrote:

    > I've got a WinXP Pro desktop with an established
    > workgroup connected to a wireless router. I also have a
    > work laptop that is already a member of a domain at work.
    >
    > How can I safely make this a member of my workgroup at
    > home without messing up the domain config?
    >
    > (I do have Admin rights on the laptop.)
    >
    > Thanks.

    Make the XP Pro a "backup" domain server similar to the one
    at work. That way, the laptop will believe you are
    connecting to the same domain and you have to make no
    changes to it.

  4. I had the same problem here at my work as well, in my case:

    My boss aquired a computer from a friend of his and it was set up for a Domain. I needed to change it to communicate with the network here at work which uses a workgroup. I went to change the computer name as well, thinking everything would be fine, however now, after I already changed the settings, none of the login credentials are valid. There are users which were not there before, and not even the administrator or guest logins work. So now its pretty much bricked at the winxp pro login screen.

    I have a thread in the Windows XP / Security forum about this topic that I posted today, and noticed this sounds similar to the problem I had. So I won't be able to trick the computer into thinking its communicating across a domain, it needs to be set to a workgroup, however I can't even get to the settings now because I'm stuck at the login screen.

    Any information on this topic will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Matt T
    kahoonaturek@yahoo.com

Routers Laptops Wireless Router Domain Microsoft Networking