How to delete a 3 dot extension and why?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs (More info?)

I did not post this in 3 places to be rude or waste time; I posted to get
the best answer to a puzzling problem from the sources I ID as the best
groups; and if someone is perhaps not happy then in a friendly pleasant way
please "bring it" 'cause I can take cyberheat in an effort to learn.

I'm on an XPSP2 box but it's not my problem but it got bandied about on one
of the MSFT chat formats and without a good answer. I suspect many of the
knowledgable Word regulars or people like David Candy on the XP groups
will be able to knock this out of the park.

The question is how to delete a folder whose extension has three dots. When
the individual tried to delete it, he got the file is in use box. I
suggested the following and the person did not try any of them fully but
finally got it deleted using: Purge IE
http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm

I suspect Purge IE could use methods in common with something below but I'm
not sure. It was the only one I know that was tried.

I suggested:
1) Reboot
2) Boot into Safe Mode and Delete it from Windows Explorer which rightly or
wrongly I believed would enhance chances of a Safe Mode Delete, Does Windows
Explorer enhance deletions? It's worked for me on occassion.
3) I suggested Doug Knox's Delete an Undeletable File and the individual
wouldn't try it because he said it would not work on a "Win 32 System." I
took this term to mean a 32 bit Windows and did not understand the
objection. Someone correct me if I misconstrued the term please.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm
4) I suggested this MSKB:
You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=320081#XSLTH3195121122120121120120
5) Finally could Doug's method and the Purge IE method and the KB be any of
the same methods?

Also I found the reading a little tough and wondered about Part 6 in the KB.

TIA,

Chad Harris
10 answers Last reply
More about delete extension
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs (More info?)

    Hi Chad - From my Blog, addy in Sig, below. (I suspect you'd want to use
    Delete Invalid File for this particular situation):

    "Sometimes the tools below will find files which they are unable to delete
    because they are in use.

    A program called Copylock, here, http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc can
    aid in the process of "replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many
    files which are currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or
    virus/trojan files.)"

    Another is Killbox, here: http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip

    A third which is a bit different but often very useful is Delete Invalid
    File, here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles invalid/UNC
    file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use problem.

    A fourth useful program is Unlocker, here:
    ..http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ " Simply right click the folder or file
    and select Unlocker. If the folder or file is locked, a window listing of
    lockers will appear. Simply select the lockers and click Unlock and you are
    done!" Works as advertised and is particularly helpful in identifying
    malware components which are 'protecting' each other."

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I did not post this in 3 places to be rude or waste time; I posted to
    > get the best answer to a puzzling problem from the sources I ID as
    > the best groups; and if someone is perhaps not happy then in a
    > friendly pleasant way please "bring it" 'cause I can take cyberheat
    > in an effort to learn.
    >
    > I'm on an XPSP2 box but it's not my problem but it got bandied about
    > on one of the MSFT chat formats and without a good answer. I suspect
    > many of the knowledgable Word regulars or people like David Candy
    > on the XP groups will be able to knock this out of the park.
    >
    > The question is how to delete a folder whose extension has three
    > dots. When the individual tried to delete it, he got the file is in
    > use box. I suggested the following and the person did not try any
    > of them fully but finally got it deleted using: Purge IE
    > http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm
    >
    > I suspect Purge IE could use methods in common with something below
    > but I'm not sure. It was the only one I know that was tried.
    >
    > I suggested:
    > 1) Reboot
    > 2) Boot into Safe Mode and Delete it from Windows Explorer which
    > rightly or wrongly I believed would enhance chances of a Safe Mode
    > Delete, Does Windows Explorer enhance deletions? It's worked for me
    > on occassion. 3) I suggested Doug Knox's Delete an Undeletable File
    > and the individual wouldn't try it because he said it would not work
    > on a "Win 32 System." I took this term to mean a 32 bit Windows and
    > did not understand the objection. Someone correct me if I
    > misconstrued the term please.
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm 4) I
    > suggested this MSKB:
    > You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume

    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=320081#XSLTH3195121122120121120120
    > 5) Finally could Doug's method and the Purge IE method and the KB be
    > any of the same methods?
    >
    > Also I found the reading a little tough and wondered about Part 6 in
    > the KB.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Chad Harris
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs (More info?)

    Jim--

    I feel fortunate to get such a complete post in such rapid fire time and I
    will explore and save every link of course and look forward to using your
    site and its resources. But Jim, invalid file or not, do you know how to ID
    where the folder with the ... extension comes from. I don't know much
    about ASCI II and quite honestly I read a lot of science jargon and have for
    years but I found the KB terminology pretty tough going. I think you can
    understand how that might have been and I read a lot of MSKBs in helping
    some on groups and chats.

    Jim do you know what the 3 dotter was or if there are thousands of
    permutations and combinations of invalid files, set me straight. Maybe it
    has no name.

    Also I might add of course I suggested system restore but the guy shot back
    he didn't like it. I find in my travels the most common system restore
    delusion is that it impacts documents or that it will throw away a gamut of
    things it doesn't. I collect articles on it including those from the MSFT
    SR teams and in my experience it does not lose even the shortcuts and
    hotfixes since the last restore point that it advertises. Of course in rare
    cases, I'm sure system restore could lose everything, and I am reminded
    with a smile of this new halarious long treastise from Mr. Ballmer's legal
    team now appearing in some KBs at the bottom like this one:

    RAM, Virtual Memory, Pagefile and all that stuff
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555223

    LOL this reminds me of all the direct advertisingTV commercial formats for
    prescription meds where the poor perspective patient hears a small sound
    bite about drug x only to be quickly deluged with an unending list of all
    the PDR's side effects in a big multicenter study. The commercials border
    somewhere in my mind between surreal and totally absurd.

    If you can fill me in on the 3 dot or Part 6 of this MSKB applying, please
    let me know.

    The KB I meant for Part 6 was:

    You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=320081#XSLTH3195121122120121120120

    Thanks again very much for the excellent links JIm I would not have found
    on my own.

    Best,

    Chad Harris

    "Jim Byrd" <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> rightly or wrongly I believed would enhance chances of a Safe Mode
    >> Delete, Does Windows Explorer enhance deletions? It's worked for me
    >> on occassion. 3) I suggested Doug Knox's Delete an Undeletable File
    >> and the individual wouldn't try it because he said it would not work
    >> on a "Win 32 System." I took this term to mean a 32 bit Windows and
    >> did not understand the objection. Someone correct me if I
    >> misconstrued the term please.
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm 4) I
    >> suggested this MSKB:
    >> You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
    >>
    > http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=320081#XSLTH3195121122120121120120
    >> 5) Finally could Doug's method and the Purge IE method and the KB be
    >> any of the same methods?
    >>
    >> Also I found the reading a little tough and wondered about Part 6 in

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs (More info?)

    FWIW, I suspect most of your answers will come from
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, since this doesn't seem to be a problem
    related to Word at all, much less formatting long documents, regardless of
    whether or not you are a new Word user.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I did not post this in 3 places to be rude or waste time; I posted to get
    > the best answer to a puzzling problem from the sources I ID as the best
    > groups; and if someone is perhaps not happy then in a friendly pleasant
    way
    > please "bring it" 'cause I can take cyberheat in an effort to learn.
    >
    > I'm on an XPSP2 box but it's not my problem but it got bandied about on
    one
    > of the MSFT chat formats and without a good answer. I suspect many of the
    > knowledgable Word regulars or people like David Candy on the XP groups
    > will be able to knock this out of the park.
    >
    > The question is how to delete a folder whose extension has three dots.
    When
    > the individual tried to delete it, he got the file is in use box. I
    > suggested the following and the person did not try any of them fully but
    > finally got it deleted using: Purge IE
    > http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm
    >
    > I suspect Purge IE could use methods in common with something below but
    I'm
    > not sure. It was the only one I know that was tried.
    >
    > I suggested:
    > 1) Reboot
    > 2) Boot into Safe Mode and Delete it from Windows Explorer which rightly
    or
    > wrongly I believed would enhance chances of a Safe Mode Delete, Does
    Windows
    > Explorer enhance deletions? It's worked for me on occassion.
    > 3) I suggested Doug Knox's Delete an Undeletable File and the individual
    > wouldn't try it because he said it would not work on a "Win 32 System." I
    > took this term to mean a 32 bit Windows and did not understand the
    > objection. Someone correct me if I misconstrued the term please.
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm
    > 4) I suggested this MSKB:
    > You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume

    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=320081#XSLTH3195121122120121120120
    > 5) Finally could Doug's method and the Purge IE method and the KB be any
    of
    > the same methods?
    >
    > Also I found the reading a little tough and wondered about Part 6 in the
    KB.

    > TIA,
    >
    > Chad Harris

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs (More info?)

    Suzanne--sorry--I had no idea what produced the 3 dot extension for this
    individual, and the long docs choice must seem puzzling to say the least,
    and the more I read I wonder if spyware or even something on the order or
    virus, womr, blended threat could cause this, and it may mean that if it was
    not a valid file there could be a large number of causes. Part of the key
    must be in why one program could remove it and others couldn't but without
    some testing,you couldn't be sure.

    Best,

    Chad Harris.

    "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> [...]
    > Windows
    >> Explorer enhance deletions? It's worked for me on occassion.
    >> 3) I suggested Doug Knox's Delete an Undeletable File and the individual
    >> wouldn't try it because he said it would not work on a "Win 32 System."
    >> took this term to mean a 32 bit Windows and did not understand the
    >> objection. Someone correct me if I misconstrued the term please.
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm
    >> 4) I suggested this MSKB:
    >> You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
    >>
    > http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=320081#XSLTH3195121122120121120120
    >> 5) Finally could Doug's method and the Purge IE method and the KB be any
    > of
    >> the same methods?
    >>
    >> Also I found the reading a little tough and wondered about Part 6 in the

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs (More info?)

    Hi Chad - Sorry, I've no idea right off hand as to the source of your errant
    object (I'm not even sure from your description that this is a legitimate
    folder, BTW - I suspect you may have meant file.), and AFAIK, there can be
    no such legal extension. It would appear to be an illegal name, since,
    while .'s are permissible characters (even more than one are legal in an
    extension - see http://www.file-ext.com/character.html), it isn't legal to
    terminate with one or more of them. From KB 320081 section 6 that you
    referred to:

    "You may not be able to delete a file if the file name includes an invalid
    name (for example, the file name has a trailing space or a trailing period
    or the file name is made up of a space only)."

    And yes, there are thousands of permutations of illegal names. :)

    --

> [...]
    >>> rightly or wrongly I believed would enhance chances of a Safe Mode
    >>> Delete, Does Windows Explorer enhance deletions? It's worked for me
    >>> on occassion. 3) I suggested Doug Knox's Delete an Undeletable File
    >>> and the individual wouldn't try it because he said it would not work
    >>> on a "Win 32 System." I took this term to mean a 32 bit Windows and
    >>> did not understand the objection. Someone correct me if I
    >>> misconstrued the term please.
    >>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm 4) I
    >>> suggested this MSKB:
    >>> You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume

    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=320081#XSLTH3195121122120121120120
    >>> 5) Finally could Doug's method and the Purge IE method and the KB be
    >>> any of the same methods?
    >>>
    >>> Also I found the reading a little tough and wondered about Part 6 in

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs (More info?)

    In news:%23Y8vyG2hFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Chad Harris <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> typed:

    > The question is how to delete a folder whose extension has
    > three
    > dots. When the individual tried to delete it, he got the file
    > is in
    > use box.

    Almost certainly, the extension is *not* three dots. You're just
    seeing part of the name, and the three dots is an ellipsis,
    telling you there is more. Using My Computer or Windows Explorer,
    navigate to the folder containing the file. Then move your mouse
    to the line above the list of files, the line that contains the
    headings like "Name," "File Type," and "Date Created."

    Put your mouse cursor on the divider line that separates the
    "Name" heading from the heading to its right and drag that bar to
    the right. That will expand the size of the name field and permit
    you to see the full name.

    If he was unable to delete it, it was probably simply that the
    file was in use.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs (More info?)

    Ken thanks much. This clears it up and I appreciate it and the respnoses and
    the links. Sorry Suzanne--will get you a word question the next time for
    sure. Jim Byrd your links will come in handy for a lot of people and I
    enjoy your site.

    Best Chad

    > In news:%23Y8vyG2hFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Chad Harris <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> typed:
    >
    >> The question is how to delete a folder whose extension has three
    >> dots. When the individual tried to delete it, he got the file is in
    >> use box.
    >

    > Almost certainly, the extension is *not* three dots. You're just seeing
    > part of the name, and the three dots is an ellipsis, telling you there is
    > more. Using My Computer or Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder
    > containing the file. Then move your mouse to the line above the list of
    > files, the line that contains the headings like "Name," "File Type," and
    > "Date Created."
    >
    > Put your mouse cursor on the divider line that separates the "Name"
    > heading from the heading to its right and drag that bar to the right. That
    > will expand the size of the name field and permit you to see the full
    > name.
    >
    > If he was unable to delete it, it was probably simply that the file was in
    > use.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs (More info?)

    In news:ei$o4kBiFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Chad Harris <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> typed:

    > Ken thanks much. This clears it up and I appreciate it and the

    You're welcome, Chad. Glad to help.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > respnoses and the links. Sorry Suzanne--will get you a word
    > question the next time for sure. Jim Byrd your links will
    > come in
    > handy for a lot of people and I enjoy your site.
    >
    > Best Chad

    >> In news:%23Y8vyG2hFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> Chad Harris <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> The question is how to delete a folder whose extension has
    >>> three
    >>> dots. When the individual tried to delete it, he got the
    >>> file is in
    >>> use box.
    >>

    >> Almost certainly, the extension is *not* three dots. You're
    >> just
    >> seeing part of the name, and the three dots is an ellipsis,
    >> telling
    >> you there is more. Using My Computer or Windows Explorer,
    >> navigate
    >> to the folder containing the file. Then move your mouse to the
    >> line
    >> above the list of files, the line that contains the headings
    >> like
    >> "Name," "File Type," and "Date Created."
    >>
    >> Put your mouse cursor on the divider line that separates the
    >> "Name"
    >> heading from the heading to its right and drag that bar to the
    >> right. That will expand the size of the name field and permit
    >> you to
    >> see the full name.
    >>
    >> If he was unable to delete it, it was probably simply that the
    >> file
    >> was in use.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs (More info?)

    Hi Chad - Glad you found it useful.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Ken thanks much. This clears it up and I appreciate it and the
    > respnoses and the links. Sorry Suzanne--will get you a word
    > question the next time for sure. Jim Byrd your links will come in
    > handy for a lot of people and I enjoy your site.
    >
    > Best Chad

    >> In news:%23Y8vyG2hFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> Chad Harris <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> The question is how to delete a folder whose extension has three
    >>> dots. When the individual tried to delete it, he got the file is in
    >>> use box.
    >>

    >> Almost certainly, the extension is *not* three dots. You're just
    >> seeing part of the name, and the three dots is an ellipsis, telling
    >> you there is more. Using My Computer or Windows Explorer, navigate
    >> to the folder containing the file. Then move your mouse to the line
    >> above the list of files, the line that contains the headings like
    >> "Name," "File Type," and "Date Created."
    >>
    >> Put your mouse cursor on the divider line that separates the "Name"
    >> heading from the heading to its right and drag that bar to the
    >> right. That will expand the size of the name field and permit you to
    >> see the full name.
    >>
    >> If he was unable to delete it, it was probably simply that the file
    >> was in use.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs (More info?)

    Chad Harris shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

    > Ken thanks much. This clears it up and I appreciate it and the
    > respnoses and the links. Sorry Suzanne--will get you a word
    > question the next time for sure. Jim Byrd your links will come in
    > handy for a lot of people and I enjoy your site.
    >
    > Best Chad

    Chad,

    Next time, use the Followup header. It is there for a purpose. ;-)

    NOTICE: Followup set to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    --
    Amedee Van Gasse

Microsoft Windows XP