Sign in with
Your question

IDE disks in External Enclosures - Any Risk?

Last response: in Storage
December 10, 2004 12:46:59 AM

Hi.
I am wondering if putting a regular IDE disk into an external enclosure is a risk to my HD or data.
Most of those enclosures just cut the power without notifying the HD that the power will be shut down shortly.
So when the power gets turned off, the disk has no chance to flush the buffer, put the heads back into a save position, etc.
Is this a problem, or are there mechanisms in place that prevent any damage to the data or hardware?

Is it save to just turn off the hard disk after I am done copying files to it? Or should I shut down the entire computer first?

I guess it wont be a problem for real external HDs, since those HDs and their drivers are made for exactly these situations, but how about a regular internal HD in one of those cheap enclosures?

Thanks,

MARK
December 10, 2004 7:44:11 AM

Windows has a feature for taking care of it: You have an icon on the taskbar that pops up whenever you have a USB or SATA drive of any type attached. Right click on the icon, choose "safely remove hardware", and it will tell you "it is now safe to remove the drive" when the drive has been disconnected properly from the data stream.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 10, 2004 10:44:53 AM

It is more risky, because it is more exposed and prone to accidents.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
Related resources
December 10, 2004 3:25:59 PM

I often have the situation that I try using this feature and it says "I can not do this right now" - even though I might not have used the device I am trying to disconnect for several minutes. In this case, does shutting down the machine guarantee a save shutdown of the external HD?
December 10, 2004 9:33:33 PM

I don't know.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 13, 2004 11:37:25 AM

are you using actual external caddies ???
most HDDs in caddies I have opened have turned out to be standard 3.5" drives on a PATA-usb/firewire interface others have been Notebook HDDs...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...
December 13, 2004 3:15:38 PM

Not sure what you mean by "external caddies"... I am using external enclosures for IDE devices and I put in a regular ATA IDE hard drive.
December 15, 2004 2:01:39 PM

I was just asking a friend about those hdd catties, I have a couple of old ata100 drives in a case where the psu fried most of the componets. I was hoping to pull the data off with my laptop and burn to disk before putting together my next rig. Who makes those things? Are they cheap? How do they work?
December 15, 2004 2:34:32 PM

Q: The old hdd are win98, the laptop is win2000pro. Can I still accsess the old data?

Sorry, didnt mean to take over the post:) 
December 15, 2004 2:57:39 PM

Shouldnt be a problem I think. The other way around wouldn't work, but 2000 should be able to read 98's FAT format
!