Windows Services in MMC query

Hi,

Im trying to allow a user access to stop/start a service on a
Windows 2000 server (while blocking their access to all other services
on the server).

I found that this can be done using the sdset command in SC but I am
not sure of the exact syntax used to allow two users perrmission to
resart a specific service (while blocking their access to all other
services
on the server)

The current sdset value is:

C:\>sc \\MSServer01 sdshow service12345

D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCR
RC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)

Again,any help would be greatly appreciated?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows services query

    brendan_gallagher_2001@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > Hi,
    >

    > Im trying to allow a user access to stop/start a service on a
    > Windows 2000 server (while blocking their access to all other services
    > on the server).
    >
    > I found that this can be done using the sdset command in SC but I am
    > not sure of the exact syntax used to allow two users perrmission to
    > resart a specific service (while blocking their access to all other
    > services
    > on the server)
    >
    > The current sdset value is:
    >
    > C:\>sc \\MSServer01 sdshow service12345
    >
    > D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCR
    > RC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
    >
    > Again,any help would be greatly appreciated?

    You might want to ask in a win2000 or server newsgroup. Here is a list
    off all ms public newsgroups:
    http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    brendan_gallagher_2001@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > Im trying to allow a user access to stop/start a service on a
    > Windows 2000 server (while blocking their access to all other services
    > on the server).
    >
    > I found that this can be done using the sdset command in SC but I am
    > not sure of the exact syntax used to allow two users perrmission to
    > resart a specific service (while blocking their access to all other
    > services
    > on the server)
    >
    > The current sdset value is:
    >
    > C:\>sc \\MSServer01 sdshow service12345
    >
    > D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCR
    > RC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
    >
    > Again,any help would be greatly appreciated?
    Hi,

    Some alternative ways to do this:

    HOW TO: Grant Users Rights to Manage Services in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288129

    For method 3 in the article above:

    A new, bug-fixed version of SubInACL.exe is available for download here
    (Win2k/WinXP/Win2k3):

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b

    SETACL (freeware) at http://setacl.sourceforge.net/ can also set permissions
    on local or remote Win32 services.