Windows Services in MMC query

July 13, 2005 5:27:19 AM

Hi,

Im trying to allow a user access to stop/start a service on a
Windows 2000 server (while blocking their access to all other services
on the server).

I found that this can be done using the sdset command in SC but I am
not sure of the exact syntax used to allow two users perrmission to
resart a specific service (while blocking their access to all other
services
on the server)

The current sdset value is:

C:\>sc \\MSServer01 sdshow service12345

D:( A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCR
RC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)

Again,any help would be greatly appreciated?
July 13, 2005 7:11:38 AM

brendan_gallagher_2001@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Im trying to allow a user access to stop/start a service on a
> Windows 2000 server (while blocking their access to all other services
> on the server).
>
> I found that this can be done using the sdset command in SC but I am
> not sure of the exact syntax used to allow two users perrmission to
> resart a specific service (while blocking their access to all other
> services
> on the server)
>
> The current sdset value is:
>
> C:\>sc \\MSServer01 sdshow service12345
>
> D:( A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCR
> RC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
>
> Again,any help would be greatly appreciated?

You might want to ask in a win2000 or server newsgroup. Here is a list
off all ms public newsgroups:
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

brendan_gallagher_2001@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Im trying to allow a user access to stop/start a service on a
> Windows 2000 server (while blocking their access to all other services
> on the server).
>
> I found that this can be done using the sdset command in SC but I am
> not sure of the exact syntax used to allow two users perrmission to
> resart a specific service (while blocking their access to all other
> services
> on the server)
>
> The current sdset value is:
>
> C:\>sc \\MSServer01 sdshow service12345
>
> D:( A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCR
> RC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
>
> Again,any help would be greatly appreciated?
Hi,

Some alternative ways to do this:

HOW TO: Grant Users Rights to Manage Services in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288129

For method 3 in the article above:

A new, bug-fixed version of SubInACL.exe is available for download here
(Win2k/WinXP/Win2k3):

SETACL (freeware) at http://setacl.sourceforge.net/ can also set permissions
on local or remote Win32 services.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: