I would like to take a z3 file, run TXD on it to get an Inform source file,
then convert that to basic. Has such a thing ever been done? Are there any
tools to assist in such a thing?

"Terry Olsen" <tolsen64@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to take a z3 file, run TXD on it to get an Inform source file,
>then convert that to basic. Has such a thing ever been done? Are there
>any tools to assist in such a thing?

TXD will give you assembly code, not Inform source --
there's a big diffence between the two. Your best bet
is probably Ben Rudiak-Gould's Reform:
http://www.darkweb.com/~benrg/if-decompilers/.
Even so, you'll have quite a big job on your hands.

Cheers, Roger
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
You'll find all my IF pages at http://www.firthworks.com/roger

The root problem with this is that a z-machine "program" has a nearly
infinite set of responses that are handled properly. Well, it is
finite, but humongously huge.

You could enumerate all of the possible combinations and try to build
something in BASIC I suppose, but you'd probably end up with an
enormous set of unreadable code.

What's your reason? I'm curious.

David C.

> You could enumerate all of the possible combinations and try to build
> something in BASIC I suppose, but you'd probably end up with an
> enormous set of unreadable code.

Well, I'd like to be able to play the games on my Apple II BBS system
telnet://boycot.no-ip.com:9999. The core software is basically a BASIC
interpreter whose I/O is the serial port.

I figured trying to write a z-interpreter for this would be extremely
daunting, and the result would be very slow (assuming I ever figured out the
Z-machine in the first place and got it running).

So I thought maybe it would be a tad bit easier to try to convert a z3 game
to basic. Maybe this is a hopeless cause?

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:47:06 -0600, Terry Olsen said to the parser:

> So I thought maybe it would be a tad bit easier to try to convert a z3
> game to basic. Maybe this is a hopeless cause?

Keep in mind you would not just have to produce a BASIC version of the INF
file. You would also need to port the Inform library to BASIC, and that
would be an extremely daunting task, in my opinion.

--
Michael Coyne
http://turthalion.blogspot.com

TRENDING THREADS