Maitai

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
If my graphics card has a tv-out, can i play games on an lcd tv-screen?Or only wath movies. what resolution? Do i just plug it in?

You can do both.

The DVI is plugged into the LCD monitor and the S-Video out goes to the TV.

My HTPC (Home Theater PC) has an old ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 9600XT that I use to record TV programs. The S-Video out is plugged to the back of my TV. The VGA cable is plugged into my CRT monitor.

Both can be used as a primary display, or I would have the TV act as a secondary display. Primary means that both monitors will display the same PC desktop. Therefore both TV and monitor will display the same thing. This is the set up I use since I have another PC .

Setting up the TV as a secondary display thru the ATI drivers means that the TV is now an extended desktop. That means when you move your mouse to the extreme right you will now be off the primary display and on the secondary display. You can open up some programs like a DVD play to watch a movie on your TV and surf the net or do something else on the primary display.

Maitai

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Hey, thanks.
It's not so difficult after all. I have an ati radeon 9600 pro. Does 1024x768 look just as good on the tv, or should i try to go higher? I'll be upgrading to an 8600 gt soon when i buy a new mobo.

It depends on what type of TV you are using. If you have the good ol' standard definition TV, then no.

If you have a HDTV then then yes. Doesn't sound like it though.

A standard definition TV (SDTV) only has about 480 lines. I have a regular TV (a 5 year old Panasonic Tau 27), and if I remember correctly, it has slightly better resolution than your typical SDTV. I find that 800 x 600 is the max resolution where things are at least somewhat legible. 1024 x 768 will be too blurry because that is way beyond the resolution a SDTV is capable of.

Maitai

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
uh, i have a sansui 74 cm which im trying out now. The s-video is plugged in and the tv set to s-video. How do i activate the tv as screen on the catalyst driver?

I don't know which version of Catalyst I have on my HTPC, but here's how to set up multiple monitors (make sure both monitor and TV are connected and powered on):

1. Right click the desktop and choose Properties
2. Click the Settings Table
3. Click the Advanced button
4. You should have 3 rows of tabs to choose from, click Displays

The new window should show 4 different displays. One is your monitor, another is the TV. If the TV has a button that is red, click it and it will change to a bluish green. The button for your monitor will change from grey to bluish green as well.

Note that each monitor will have two buttons to click on. By default the monitor will have the left button clicked because it is the primary display. The TV will have the right button clicked by default. This is the extended desktop or secondary display. Click the left button to make it the primary display so whatever your monitor displays, the TV will display as well.