Cant connect to other computers/printer

I have a base station running on a W2K machine and can
access the internet over it from my XP machine - when I
first set it up I could see the W2K machine and use the
printer, now I cant. The Network Devices shows the other
stuff, but when I click on them it says "device not
available". I've shared them, but must have something
else wrong...

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about cant connect computers printer

    What if you try running "\\Computer Name That Is Sharing The Printer"
    (Replace "Computer Name That Is Sharing The Printer" with the name of
    that computer and no quotation marks). Then post that information into
    a Windows newsgroup as File & Printer Sharing is a Windows issue.

    Lane wrote:

    > I have a base station running on a W2K machine and can
    > access the internet over it from my XP machine - when I
    > first set it up I could see the W2K machine and use the
    > printer, now I cant. The Network Devices shows the other
    > stuff, but when I click on them it says "device not
    > available". I've shared them, but must have something
    > else wrong...
    >
    > Thanks

    Hmmm..I'm not following you - were do I run that command?

    Where do I run that command - Start/Run?

    I'm wondering if my workgroup is set up right - I can see
    other computers, but cant access them even though they are
    shared -

    Thanks

    In the run dialog box. You know start | run.

    > Hmmm..I'm not following you - were do I run that command?

    See if Ron Pacciano's article helps:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml
    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    > Where do I run that command - Start/Run?
    >
    > I'm wondering if my workgroup is set up right - I can see
    > other computers, but cant access them even though they are
    > shared -
    >
    > Thanks

    Are you running a software firewall (Norton, Zone
    Alarm...), or Windows ICF? Turn them off.

    If Norton or ZoneAlarm is installed they show in the list
    of programs in the Start menu.

    To check for Windows ICF, open Network Connections from the
    Start menu. If it is enabled some of the icons in Network
    Connections show a security lock. Right mouse click on the
    icon, select properties, and on the Advanced tab disable
    Internet COnnection Firewall (ICF).

    To check the workgroup name, open Control Panel, then System.

Routers Printers Networking