To what end ? - to reinstall XP, just use the XP CD-ROM. In
the normal installation process a disk/partitioning option appears.
From this page you can add/remove partitions and then format
them in either FAT32 or NTFS using a Quick or Full method.
Quick omits bad block checking.

"Taz" <Taz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do i reformat my pc?
>
> lol thanks.

Ash

Taz wrote:
> How do i reformat my pc?
>
> lol thanks.
Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter :p

--
Evil criminals don't just catch themselves, ya know. Except for Dr. Van
Kruglor's Self Catching robots. Those were just confusing.

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004

"Ash" wrote:

> Taz wrote:
> > How do i reformat my pc?
> >
> > lol thanks.
> Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter :p
>
> --
> Evil criminals don't just catch themselves, ya know. Except for Dr. Van
> Kruglor's Self Catching robots. Those were just confusing.

Hm?

So will this > Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter

Really work?

Not in XP, you don't.

> "Ash" wrote:
>
> > Taz wrote:
> > > How do i reformat my pc?
> > >
> > > lol thanks.
> > Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter :p
> >
> > --
> > Evil criminals don't just catch themselves, ya know. Except for Dr. Van
> > Kruglor's Self Catching robots. Those were just confusing.
> >

> Hm?
>
> So will this > Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter
>
> Really work?

No the above instruction will not work.

If you want to reformat your drive be warned that all data on the system
will be lost so make certain you have adequate backups. When ready boot your
computer with your Windows XP CD. At the first screen select the option to
Repair using the Recovery Console - press 'r'. At the command prompt (likely
it will say C:\Windows: ) type the following depending on which format you
wish to use and then press the Enter Key.

FORMAT C: /FS:NTFS

or

FORMAT C: /FS:FAT32

Use either but not both. When finished the format remove the XP CD and type
EXIT then press Enter to reboot.

The above assumes that you only want to reformat the drive and that you have
a Windows XP CD. If you do not have an XP CD you can create bootable CD that
will let you access the Recovery Console and run Format as above. Download
this small ISO file http://home.comcast.net/~access_denied/DTU/RC.iso You
will need a CD Writer and a blank CD-R, you also need CD Writing software
that can burn an ISO image. This freeware will do that easily
http://directdownload.burn4free.com/burn4free_setup.exe

If you want to reformat AND reinstall Windows XP then follow the
instructions here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

Gordon

> Not in XP, you don't.
>
> Ash wrote:
>
> > Taz wrote:
> >
> >> How do i reformat my pc?
> >>
> >> lol thanks.
> >
> > Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter :p

There was a long thread about this some time ago AFAIR, where someone posted
that it DID work!

Not going to happen if that's where you're running the operating system
from.

Gordon wrote:

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Not in XP, you don't.
>>
>>Ash wrote:

>>>Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter :p
>>>

> There was a long thread about this some time ago AFAIR, where someone posted
> that it DID work!

Gordon

> Not going to happen if that's where you're running the operating system
> from.

That's what the long thread was about. There was a poster who swore on his
mother's life that that's what he's done in the past!

Windows 9x will allow you to shoot your foot off. Of course some posters
are fairly clueless.

Ash wrote:

> Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter :p

Don't be silly. This would be the computer equivalent of sawing off
the tree limb you're sitting on, and WinXP is "too smart" to allow this.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Taz wrote:
> How do i reformat my pc?
>
> lol thanks.

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

> That's what the long thread was about. There was a poster who swore
> on his mother's life that that's what he's done in the past!

I remember that thread back at the beginning of May. The poster who said he
did that disappeared after being challenged to prove it.

Gordon

"RA" <none> wrote in message news:OL#6VIKiFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> > That's what the long thread was about. There was a poster who swore
> > on his mother's life that that's what he's done in the past!
>
> I remember that thread back at the beginning of May. The poster who said
he
> did that disappeared after being challenged to prove it.

I think I got fed up with it eventually, and ignored the thread!

Gordon wrote:
> "RA" <none> wrote in message
>>

>>> That's what the long thread was about. There was a poster who swore
>>> on his mother's life that that's what he's done in the past!
>>
>> I remember that thread back at the beginning of May. The poster who
>> said he did that disappeared after being challenged to prove it.
>>

> I think I got fed up with it eventually, and ignored the thread!

I thought that was one of the more entertaining threads. I was disappointed
to see it end so abruptly.