How do i reformat my pc?

lol thanks.
15 answers Last reply
More about reformat

    To what end ? - to reinstall XP, just use the XP CD-ROM. In
    the normal installation process a disk/partitioning option appears.
    From this page you can add/remove partitions and then format
    them in either FAT32 or NTFS using a Quick or Full method.
    Quick omits bad block checking.

    Taz wrote:

    > How do i reformat my pc?
    >
    > lol thanks.

    Clean Install Windows XP

    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Taz wrote:
    > How do i reformat my pc?
    >
    > lol thanks.
    Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter :P

    --
    Evil criminals don't just catch themselves, ya know. Except for Dr. Van
    Kruglor's Self Catching robots. Those were just confusing.

    "Ash" wrote:

    > Taz wrote:
    > > How do i reformat my pc?
    > >
    > > lol thanks.
    > Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter :P
    >
    > --
    > Evil criminals don't just catch themselves, ya know. Except for Dr. Van
    > Kruglor's Self Catching robots. Those were just confusing.

    Hm?

    So will this > Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter

    Really work?

    Not in XP, you don't.

    > "Ash" wrote:
    >
    > > Taz wrote:
    > > > How do i reformat my pc?
    > > >
    > > > lol thanks.
    > > Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter :P
    > >
    > > --
    > > Evil criminals don't just catch themselves, ya know. Except for Dr. Van
    > > Kruglor's Self Catching robots. Those were just confusing.
    > >

    > Hm?
    >
    > So will this > Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter
    >
    > Really work?

    No the above instruction will not work.

    If you want to reformat your drive be warned that all data on the system
    will be lost so make certain you have adequate backups. When ready boot your
    computer with your Windows XP CD. At the first screen select the option to
    Repair using the Recovery Console - press 'r'. At the command prompt (likely
    it will say C:\Windows: ) type the following depending on which format you
    wish to use and then press the Enter Key.

    FORMAT C: /FS:NTFS

    or

    FORMAT C: /FS:FAT32

    Use either but not both. When finished the format remove the XP CD and type
    EXIT then press Enter to reboot.

    The above assumes that you only want to reformat the drive and that you have
    a Windows XP CD. If you do not have an XP CD you can create bootable CD that
    will let you access the Recovery Console and run Format as above. Download
    this small ISO file http://home.comcast.net/~access_denied/DTU/RC.iso You
    will need a CD Writer and a blank CD-R, you also need CD Writing software
    that can burn an ISO image. This freeware will do that easily
    http://directdownload.burn4free.com/burn4free_setup.exe

    If you want to reformat AND reinstall Windows XP then follow the
    instructions here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    > Not in XP, you don't.
    >
    > Ash wrote:
    >
    > > Taz wrote:
    > >
    > >> How do i reformat my pc?
    > >>
    > >> lol thanks.
    > >
    > > Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter :P

    There was a long thread about this some time ago AFAIR, where someone posted
    that it DID work!

    Not going to happen if that's where you're running the operating system
    from.

    > Not going to happen if that's where you're running the operating system
    > from.

    That's what the long thread was about. There was a poster who swore on his
    mother's life that that's what he's done in the past!

    Windows 9x will allow you to shoot your foot off. Of course some posters
    are fairly clueless.

    Ash wrote:

    > Start > run > type 'format C /X' and hit enter :P

    Don't be silly. This would be the computer equivalent of sawing off
    the tree limb you're sitting on, and WinXP is "too smart" to allow this.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Taz wrote:
    > How do i reformat my pc?
    >
    > lol thanks.

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > That's what the long thread was about. There was a poster who swore
    > on his mother's life that that's what he's done in the past!

    I remember that thread back at the beginning of May. The poster who said he
    did that disappeared after being challenged to prove it.

    "RA" <none> wrote in message news:OL#6VIKiFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

    > > That's what the long thread was about. There was a poster who swore
    > > on his mother's life that that's what he's done in the past!
    >
    > I remember that thread back at the beginning of May. The poster who said
    he
    > did that disappeared after being challenged to prove it.

    I think I got fed up with it eventually, and ignored the thread!

    Gordon wrote:
    > "RA" <none> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> That's what the long thread was about. There was a poster who swore
    >>> on his mother's life that that's what he's done in the past!
    >>
    >> I remember that thread back at the beginning of May. The poster who
    >> said he did that disappeared after being challenged to prove it.
    >>

    > I think I got fed up with it eventually, and ignored the thread!

    I thought that was one of the more entertaining threads. I was disappointed
    to see it end so abruptly.

Microsoft Windows XP