Computer will not find DNS automatically...

dd

Midway through a browsing session my computer suddenly stopped bringing
in pages. The connection status of my DSL connection showed as
'connected' but I kept getting an error message to advise that the URL
could not be found.
I have two computers which connect through a switch to my router, only
one computer would not work and swapping the cables between the two
computers at the switch had no effect on the problem computer.
A call to my ISP revealed that the problem computer would not find the
DNS automatically, but when the numbers were entered manually it had no
difficulty finding the pages and seemed to be working normally. I am now
working on the fixed DNS numbers that the ISP provided.
I would appreciate any suggestions as to why the automatic option
suddenly failed and if possible, how to correct the situation.

Thanks!
DD

You have several choices. Lets start with the simple. From the command
prompt type ipconfig /flushdns that will flush your dns resolver cache.
Check your hosts file for anything suspicious it is located
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Rebuild your TCP/IP stack use Winsock fix
to do this http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html. If it still does
not work then check for spyware. Download, install, update and run all of
the following.

Ad-Aware

Spybot search and destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
it can be analyzed.

HijackThis

"DD" <tobytoby50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Midway through a browsing session my computer suddenly stopped bringing in
> pages. The connection status of my DSL connection showed as 'connected'
> but I kept getting an error message to advise that the URL could not be
> found.
> I have two computers which connect through a switch to my router, only one
> computer would not work and swapping the cables between the two computers
> at the switch had no effect on the problem computer.
> A call to my ISP revealed that the problem computer would not find the DNS
> automatically, but when the numbers were entered manually it had no
> difficulty finding the pages and seemed to be working normally. I am now
> working on the fixed DNS numbers that the ISP provided.
> I would appreciate any suggestions as to why the automatic option suddenly
> failed and if possible, how to correct the situation.
>
> Thanks!
> DD

dd

Thanks for your informative reply, I have flushed the dns resolver
cache and it had no effect. I have also run Adaware and Spybot but they
didn't find anything.
I looked for the hosts file and all I could find was imhosts.sam, is
this what I am looking for? If so, how do I open it and what constitutes
something suspicious?

DD

cbutts1 wrote:
> You have several choices. Lets start with the simple. From the command
> prompt type ipconfig /flushdns that will flush your dns resolver cache.
> Check your hosts file for anything suspicious it is located
> C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Rebuild your TCP/IP stack use Winsock fix
> to do this http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html. If it still does
> not work then check for spyware. Download, install, update and run all of
> the following.
>
> Ad-Aware
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>
> Spybot search and destroy
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
>
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
>
> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run it, save
> a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
> it can be analyzed.
>
> HijackThis
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

It's called just plain "hosts" and you open it with notepad. Did you run the
Winsock fix?

> Thanks for your informative reply, I have flushed the dns resolver cache
> and it had no effect. I have also run Adaware and Spybot but they didn't
> find anything.
> I looked for the hosts file and all I could find was imhosts.sam, is this
> what I am looking for? If so, how do I open it and what constitutes
> something suspicious?
>
> DD
>
> cbutts1 wrote:
>> You have several choices. Lets start with the simple. From the command
>> prompt type ipconfig /flushdns that will flush your dns resolver
>> cache. Check your hosts file for anything suspicious it is located
>> C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Rebuild your TCP/IP stack use Winsock
>> fix to do this http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html. If it
>> still does not work then check for spyware. Download, install, update and
>> run all of the following.
>>
>> Ad-Aware
>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>>
>> Spybot search and destroy
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
>>
>> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
>>
>> If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run it,
>> save a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group
>> so that it can be analyzed.
>>
>> HijackThis
>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

dd

I don't have a "Hosts" file where you say it should be! Any suggestions?
Time has been at a premium lately, but I have downloaded the fix and
will be running it shortly when I have read the instructions and
understand what I have to do.
If you would like to e-mail me, I will be able to get your message at
the Hotmail address (in the header) that I use for newsgroups; I think
this thread is now of little interest to other readers...

DD

DD wrote:

> I don't have a "Hosts" file where you say it should be!
> Any suggestions?
> (snip)
Hi,

Click Start >> Run >>
Type the follow command in the Open box.
"notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" (w/o quotes)
Press Ok

You should only see some comments line and then this entry:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Be sure to go to the end of the file, sometimes a bad
app have added a lot of blank lines before the host entries
added to the file.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

dd

I ran "notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" (w/o quotes)and I
got a dialogue box that said "Cannot find the ---------- \hosts.txt file
Do you want to create a new file?". Is this a problem? What should I do?
Thanks for your answer I thought the thread was limited to me and pcbutts1!

DD

DD wrote:

> I ran "notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" (w/o quotes)
> and I got a dialogue box that said "Cannot find the ----------
> \hosts.txt file Do you want to create a new file?". Is this a
> problem? What should I do?
Hi,

Please start regedit.exe (from Start/Run)

Locate the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\

You should now see the registry value "DataBasePath" under that key.

What is the content of that value?

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

dd

I have not run the Winsock fix yet because I understand the fix
replaces the Hosts file with a default one and I am uncertain what
effect not having the Hosts file would have.

DD

pcbutts1 wrote:
> It's called just plain "hosts" and you open it with notepad. Did you run the
> Winsock fix?

Go ahead and run it. It uses the "netsh" command to rebuild/reset your
tcp/ip stack. Since you don't have a host file let it create one.

> I have not run the Winsock fix yet because I understand the fix replaces
> the Hosts file with a default one and I am uncertain what effect not
> having the Hosts file would have.
>
> DD
>
> pcbutts1 wrote:
>> It's called just plain "hosts" and you open it with notepad. Did you run
>> the Winsock fix?

The "Hosts" file in Windows and other operating systems is used to associate
host names with IP addresses. Host names are the www.yahoo.com addresses
that you see every day. IP addresses are numbers that mean the same thing as
the www words - the computers use the numbers to actually find the sites,
but we have words like www.yahoo.com so humans do not need to remember the
long strings of numbers when they want to visit a site.

For instance, the host name for Yahoo! is www.yahoo.com, while its IP
address is 204.71.200.67 Either address will take you to Yahoo!'s site, but
the www address will first have to be translated into the IP address. If you
type in the IP address directly, your computer will not have to look it up.

A series of steps are used when searching for IP addresses that go with
these host names. The first step is the hosts file on your local computer.
The Hosts file tells your computer what the name is in numbers so the
computer can go find it. If the IP address is found in your Hosts file, the
computer will stop looking and go to that site, but if it is not it will ask
a DNS computer (domain name server) for the information. Since the search
ends once a match is found.

>I ran "notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" (w/o quotes)and I
>got a dialogue box that said "Cannot find the ---------- \hosts.txt file Do
>you want to create a new file?". Is this a problem? What should I do?
> Thanks for your answer I thought the thread was limited to me and
> pcbutts1!
>
> DD
>
> Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
>> DD wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have a "Hosts" file where you say it should be!
>>> Any suggestions?
>>> (snip)
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Click Start >> Run >>
>> Type the follow command in the Open box.
>> "notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" (w/o quotes)
>> Press Ok
>>

>> You should only see some comments line and then this entry:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>>

>> Be sure to go to the end of the file, sometimes a bad
>> app have added a lot of blank lines before the host entries
>> added to the file.

dd

Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
> DD wrote:
>
>> I ran "notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" (w/o quotes)
>> and I got a dialogue box that said "Cannot find the ----------
>> \hosts.txt file Do you want to create a new file?". Is this a
>> problem? What should I do?
>
> Hi,
>
> Please start regedit.exe (from Start/Run)
>
> Locate the registry key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
>
> You should now see the registry value "DataBasePath" under that key.
>
> What is the content of that value?

I see [%System Root%\System32\drivers\etc] I am not familliar with the
registry, I hope this is what you want!

Thanks for your interest,

DD

dd

pcbutts1 wrote:
> The "Hosts" file in Windows and other operating systems is used to associate
> host names with IP addresses. Host names are the www.yahoo.com addresses
> that you see every day. IP addresses are numbers that mean the same thing as
> the www words - the computers use the numbers to actually find the sites,
> but we have words like www.yahoo.com so humans do not need to remember the
> long strings of numbers when they want to visit a site.
>
> For instance, the host name for Yahoo! is www.yahoo.com, while its IP
> address is 204.71.200.67 Either address will take you to Yahoo!'s site, but
> the www address will first have to be translated into the IP address. If you
> type in the IP address directly, your computer will not have to look it up.
>
> A series of steps are used when searching for IP addresses that go with
> these host names. The first step is the hosts file on your local computer.
> The Hosts file tells your computer what the name is in numbers so the
> computer can go find it. If the IP address is found in your Hosts file, the
> computer will stop looking and go to that site, but if it is not it will ask
> a DNS computer (domain name server) for the information. Since the search
> ends once a match is found.

Great explanation! Since I do not have a hosts file, does this mean my
computer is asking the DNS computer every time? I suspect that pages
take longer to load than they used to.

DD

Yes.

DD wrote:

> Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
>> DD wrote:
>>
>>> I ran "notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" (w/o quotes)
>>> and I got a dialogue box that said "Cannot find the ----------
>>> \hosts.txt file Do you want to create a new file?". Is this a
>>> problem? What should I do?
>>

>> Please start regedit.exe (from Start/Run)
>>
>> Locate the registry key
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
>>
>> You should now see the registry value "DataBasePath" under that key.
>>
>> What is the content of that value?
>>

> I see [%System Root%\System32\drivers\etc] I am not familliar
> with the registry, I hope this is what you want!
Hi,

Yes, and that is the normal value (assuming you see %SystemRoot% and
not %System Root%).

This registry value tells the system where to look for the hosts file,
and as that folder did not contain a hosts file on your system, someone
or something have deleted that file.

Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
> DD wrote:
>
>> Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

>>> Please start regedit.exe (from Start/Run)
>>>
>>> Locate the registry key
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
>>>
>>> You should now see the registry value "DataBasePath" under that key.
>>>
>>> What is the content of that value?
>>>

>> I see [%System Root%\System32\drivers\etc] I am not familliar
>> with the registry, I hope this is what you want!
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes, and that is the normal value (assuming you see %SystemRoot% and
> not %System Root%).
>
> This registry value tells the system where to look for the hosts file,
> and as that folder did not contain a hosts file on your system, someone
> or something have deleted that file.

I now have a hosts file but the computer will still not find the DNS
automatically! It works with the original manual DNS values. Can you
suggest anything else?

DD

dd

I ran winsockxpfix and it created a hosts file for me but I still
cannot get the computer to find the DNS automatically. I ran
HighjackThis and this is what I got:-

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:47:01 PM, on 18/07/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
D:\Internet Utilities\Line Speed Meter\LineSpeedMeter.exe
D:\Utilities\QuickTime\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTSvcCDA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\MY DOWNLOADS\Install 1\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://www.tpg.com.au/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} -
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} -
C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "D:\internet utilities\quick
time\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Line Speed Meter V3.0] D:\Internet Utilities\Line
Speed Meter\LineSpeedMeter.exe -minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] D:\Utilities\QuickTime\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliType] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hplampc] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hplampc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Easy-PrintToolBox] C:\Program
Files\Canon\Easy-PrintToolBox\BJPSMAIN.EXE /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acronis True Image Monitor] "D:\Internet
Utilities\Acronis\TrueImageMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acronis Scheduler2 Service] "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "D:\utilities\WCESCOMM.EXE"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATnotes.exe] D:\Utilities\ATnotes\ATnotes.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Copernic Desktop Search] "D:\Utilities\Copernic
Search\Copernic Desktop Search\CopernicDesktopSearch.exe" /tray
O4 - Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk = D:\Utilities\Erunt Back
Up\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE
O4 - Startup: WordWeb.lnk = D:\Utilities\WordWeb\wweb32.exe
O4 - Startup: Yankee Clipper III.lnk = D:\Utilities\YCIII\YankClip.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program
Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk =
D:\Applications\office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &WordWeb... -
res://C:\WINDOWS\wweb32.dll/lookup.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List -
res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print -
res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program
Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program
Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} -
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console -
{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite -
{2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - d:\utilities\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} -
d:\utilities\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... -
{2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - d:\utilities\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Pardon - {302172A1-A2B4-4402-B1D0-F5D54C3E83C6} -
D:\Applications\Pardon 2\Pardon.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Pardon -
{302172A1-A2B4-4402-B1D0-F5D54C3E83C6} - D:\Applications\Pardon 2\Pardon.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} -
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger -
{FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program
Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O17 -
HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{3689934F-561B-4BCB-A4C9-A25968C20CE7}:
NameServer = 203.12.160.35,203.12.160.36
O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis -
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner -
C:\Program Files\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program
Files\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program
Files\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program
Files\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology
Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTSvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Nero AG - C:\Program
Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. -
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA
Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

DD

pcbutts1 wrote:
> Go ahead and run it. It uses the "netsh" command to rebuild/reset your
> tcp/ip stack. Since you don't have a host file let it create one.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

DD wrote:

> I ran winsockxpfix and it created a hosts file for me but I still
> cannot get the computer to find the DNS automatically. I ran
> HighjackThis and this is what I got:-

<snip>

For future reference don't post HijackThis logs here. There are
specialty forums for that.

Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Your Hijackthis log is fine. The only other thing I can think of is that
there is a problem with the dns server itself, your MAC address could be
blocked. You will have to complain to your ISP tech support supervisors.
Regular tech support will not know what you are talking about. It could also
be a bad NIC it is probably quicker to replace that.

> I ran winsockxpfix and it created a hosts file for me but I still cannot
> get the computer to find the DNS automatically. I ran HighjackThis and
> this is what I got:-
>
> Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
> Scan saved at 7:47:01 PM, on 18/07/2005
> Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
> MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
>
> Running processes:
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

Nobody is asking you to look at it, I will do that and without having to go
to another forum. What are you promoting for them? There is absolutely
nothing wrong with posting the log here.

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> DD wrote:
>
>> I ran winsockxpfix and it created a hosts file for me but I still
>> cannot get the computer to find the DNS automatically. I ran HighjackThis
>> and this is what I got:-
>>

> <snip>
>
> For future reference don't post HijackThis logs here. There are specialty
> forums for that.
>
> Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:
>
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

dd

Rock wrote:
> DD wrote:
>
>> I ran winsockxpfix and it created a hosts file for me but I still
>> cannot get the computer to find the DNS automatically. I ran
>> HighjackThis and this is what I got:-
>>

> <snip>
>
> For future reference don't post HijackThis logs here. There are
> specialty forums for that.
>
> Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:
>
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

I think if you re-read the thread you will see that the log was part of
the problem solving process and if I had posted this to a forum the
people who have been so helpful would have been unable to follow through
without flitting around cyberspace. I was not aware that in such
circumstances, posting a log justified your comment.
If there is a rule that specifically bans the posting of logs please
provide the reference so that I can make myself aware of any other rules
that may affect what I post. If not, please advise the reason why such
logs should not be posted in this newsgroup, especially when it was part
of the fault finding procedure.
Incidentally, my computer will still not find the DNS automatically, if
you have something that is relevant to the posting I would be most
grateful for your advice.

DD

That's exactly my point. You said it better then I did.

> Rock wrote:
>> DD wrote:
>>
>>> I ran winsockxpfix and it created a hosts file for me but I still
>>> cannot get the computer to find the DNS automatically. I ran
>>> HighjackThis and this is what I got:-
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> For future reference don't post HijackThis logs here. There are
>> specialty forums for that.
>>
>> Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:
>>
>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
>> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
>> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
>>

> I think if you re-read the thread you will see that the log was part of
> the problem solving process and if I had posted this to a forum the people
> who have been so helpful would have been unable to follow through without
> flitting around cyberspace. I was not aware that in such circumstances,
> posting a log justified your comment.
> If there is a rule that specifically bans the posting of logs please
> provide the reference so that I can make myself aware of any other rules
> that may affect what I post. If not, please advise the reason why such
> logs should not be posted in this newsgroup, especially when it was part
> of the fault finding procedure.
> Incidentally, my computer will still not find the DNS automatically, if
> you have something that is relevant to the posting I would be most
> grateful for your advice.
>
> DD

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

pcbutts1 wrote:

> Nobody is asking you to look at it, I will do that and without having to go
> to another forum. What are you promoting for them? There is absolutely
> nothing wrong with posting the log here.

It is not appropriate as you have been told by several other people in
another thread. This is not the place for them. If you want to see it,
ask the OP to send it to you in email.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

DD wrote:

> Rock wrote:
>
>> DD wrote:
>>
>>> I ran winsockxpfix and it created a hosts file for me but I still
>>> cannot get the computer to find the DNS automatically. I ran
>>> HighjackThis and this is what I got:-
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> For future reference don't post HijackThis logs here. There are
>> specialty forums for that.
>>
>> Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:
>>
>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
>> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
>> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
>>

> I think if you re-read the thread you will see that the log was part
> of the problem solving process and if I had posted this to a forum the
> people who have been so helpful would have been unable to follow through
> without flitting around cyberspace. I was not aware that in such
> circumstances, posting a log justified your comment.
> If there is a rule that specifically bans the posting of logs please
> provide the reference so that I can make myself aware of any other rules
> that may affect what I post. If not, please advise the reason why such
> logs should not be posted in this newsgroup, especially when it was part
> of the fault finding procedure.
> Incidentally, my computer will still not find the DNS automatically,
> if you have something that is relevant to the posting I would be most
> grateful for your advice.
>
> DD

As I mentioned in my post to the pcbutts1 and as several others have to
him in another thread, this is not a place for hjt logs. HJT is
primarily directed toward malware removal, and there are specialty
forums for that. Though the issue often comes up here, it's not best
forum for it. If he wants to see your log, then send it to him in
private email.

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

dd

pcbutts1 wrote:
> Yes.

I have a hosts file now, as I mentioned, but it still has nothing in
it. Shouldn't it have accumulated some information by now?

DD