James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

Is there a limit to the maximum size of file that can be zipped using the
Send to > Compressed (Zipped) folder command?

I need to know if it can handle a file of 4.5GB.

Regards,

James

Yes, there is. Limit to the maximum size of file that can be zipped is
equal to 2 Gb.

--
pc_addicted

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"James" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there a limit to the maximum size of file that can be zipped using
> the Send to > Compressed (Zipped) folder command?
>
> I need to know if it can handle a file of 4.5GB.

You did not mention which file system you use, NTFS or FAT32. FAT32 has
a maximum file size of 4GB. If using NTFS, I didn't find a Microsoft KB
article that mentions a maximum file size for the the .zip file, so you
could just go ahead and experiment to see what happens.

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a limit to the maximum size of file that can be
> zipped using the
> Send to > Compressed (Zipped) folder command?
>
> I need to know if it can handle a file of 4.5GB.
>
> Regards,
>
> James

do you plan to write this 4.5GB file to a DVD? If so it seems fairly
pointless, why not just write them directly to the DVD?

There is a limite to the size of file that can be use, but this is
dependednt on what file system you use. If you use FAT32 the limite is
4GB if you use NTFS the only limite is the disk partion size.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Zip-files-WinXP-ftopict395285.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1302379

You can also make a spanned volume if you are trying to compress to fit on a
smaller medium

"Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a limit to the maximum size of file that can be
> > zipped using the
> > Send to > Compressed (Zipped) folder command?
> >
> > I need to know if it can handle a file of 4.5GB.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > James
>
> do you plan to write this 4.5GB file to a DVD? If so it seems fairly
> pointless, why not just write them directly to the DVD?
>
> There is a limite to the size of file that can be use, but this is
> dependednt on what file system you use. If you use FAT32 the limite is
> 4GB if you use NTFS the only limite is the disk partion size.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Zip-files-WinXP-ftopict395285.html

SYMPTOMS
When you create a compressed folder (ZIP file) that is larger than 4
gigabytes (GBs), the file may no longer be readable, and may become
corrupted. You do not receive any error message when you create the file,
but you cannot read the file after you create it.
CAUSE
This issue can occur because the size limit for compressed folders is
approximately 4 GB.
RESOLUTION
To work around this issue, make sure that you limit the size of a compressed
folder to 4 GB or less when you create a compressed folder.

"pc_addicted" <pc_addicted.1s4s60@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

> Yes, there is. Limit to the maximum size of file that can be zipped is
> equal to 2 Gb.
>

> --
> pc_addicted

"James" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there a limit to the maximum size of file that can be zipped using the
> Send to > Compressed (Zipped) folder command?
>
> I need to know if it can handle a file of 4.5GB.

Use a much better program than XP's built in Zipping ability if you are
doing stuff like that. WinRAR packs more efficiently and with less chance
of error. And you can spit the RAR files up to suit whatever you are trying
to do.

http://www.rarlabs.com/

ss.