Installing Fax Services

When trying to install the fax capability, the installer asks me to put the
XP SP2 disc in the drive so that it can find a file "FXSCOM.DLL" but there is
no file of that name on the CD so I can't install the fax services.

There are other "FAX*.* files on the CD, should I be pointing the setup
program to one of those and if so, which one?

Regards, James Baines
9 answers Last reply
More about installing services

    Try using the XP disc, not the SP2 disc.

    --
    Alias

    "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    > When trying to install the fax capability, the installer asks me to put
    > the
    > XP SP2 disc in the drive so that it can find a file "FXSCOM.DLL" but there
    > is
    > no file of that name on the CD so I can't install the fax services.
    >
    > There are other "FAX*.* files on the CD, should I be pointing the setup
    > program to one of those and if so, which one?
    >
    > Regards, James Baines

    The fax service isn't automatically installed in Windows XP. To install
    the fax component:
    Open Control Panel, and click Add or Remove Programs.
    Click Add/Remove Windows Components. Select the Fax Services check box,
    and then click Next.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    James wrote:

    > When trying to install the fax capability, the installer asks me to put the
    > XP SP2 disc in the drive so that it can find a file "FXSCOM.DLL" but there is
    > no file of that name on the CD so I can't install the fax services.
    >
    > There are other "FAX*.* files on the CD, should I be pointing the setup
    > program to one of those and if so, which one?
    >
    > Regards, James Baines

    Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read the OP's post again and
    ask yourself if you posted anything useful.

    --
    Alias

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote

    > The fax service isn't automatically installed in Windows XP. To install
    > the fax component:
    > Open Control Panel, and click Add or Remove Programs.
    > Click Add/Remove Windows Components. Select the Fax Services check box,
    > and then click Next.

    And then it asks for XP SP2 CD like the OP wrote.

    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >

    > James wrote:
    >
    >> When trying to install the fax capability, the installer asks me to put
    >> the XP SP2 disc in the drive so that it can find a file "FXSCOM.DLL" but
    >> there is no file of that name on the CD so I can't install the fax
    >> services.
    >>
    >> There are other "FAX*.* files on the CD, should I be pointing the setup
    >> program to one of those and if so, which one?
    >>
    >> Regards, James Baines

    Thanks Alias, at least your response showed that you had bothered to read the
    question. I'll try the original XP disc and see if that works

    James

    "Alias" wrote:

    > Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read the OP's post again and
    > ask yourself if you posted anything useful.
    >
    > --
    > Alias
    >
    > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >
    > "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote
    >
    > > The fax service isn't automatically installed in Windows XP. To install
    > > the fax component:
    > > Open Control Panel, and click Add or Remove Programs.
    > > Click Add/Remove Windows Components. Select the Fax Services check box,
    > > and then click Next.
    >
    > And then it asks for XP SP2 CD like the OP wrote.
    >

    > > regards,
    > > ssg MS-MVP
    > >

    > > James wrote:
    > >
    > >> When trying to install the fax capability, the installer asks me to put
    > >> the XP SP2 disc in the drive so that it can find a file "FXSCOM.DLL" but
    > >> there is no file of that name on the CD so I can't install the fax
    > >> services.
    > >>
    > >> There are other "FAX*.* files on the CD, should I be pointing the setup
    > >> program to one of those and if so, which one?
    > >>
    > >> Regards, James Baines

    It's worked for me on three computers.

    --
    Alias

    "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    > Thanks Alias, at least your response showed that you had bothered to read
    > the
    > question. I'll try the original XP disc and see if that works
    >
    > James
    >
    > "Alias" wrote:
    >
    >> Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read the OP's post again and
    >> ask yourself if you posted anything useful.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >>
    >> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote
    >>
    >> > The fax service isn't automatically installed in Windows XP. To install
    >> > the fax component:
    >> > Open Control Panel, and click Add or Remove Programs.
    >> > Click Add/Remove Windows Components. Select the Fax Services check box,
    >> > and then click Next.
    >>
    >> And then it asks for XP SP2 CD like the OP wrote.
    >>

    >> > regards,
    >> > ssg MS-MVP

    I do agree,before completing the post, I by mistake clicked the
    'send'button and all ended up in a mess.Since then my server was down
    so couldn't get a chance to rectify that bad post.It happens
    sometimes.Anyway regretted.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP
    Alias wrote:
    > Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read the OP's post again and
    > ask yourself if you posted anything useful.

    To S.Sengupta:

    OK, now that you have read about the problem, what advice do you have?
    "Alias" suggests using the original Win XP disc but I'm thinking Microsoft
    might have another answer since this seems to be a very common problem.

    James

    "S.Sengupta" wrote:

    > I do agree,before completing the post, I by mistake clicked the
    > 'send'button and all ended up in a mess.Since then my server was down
    > so couldn't get a chance to rectify that bad post.It happens
    > sometimes.Anyway regretted.
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    > Alias wrote:
    > > Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read the OP's post again and
    > > ask yourself if you posted anything useful.

    Have you tried the original XP disc yet? I bet it will work.

    --
    Alias

    "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    > To S.Sengupta:
    >
    > OK, now that you have read about the problem, what advice do you have?
    > "Alias" suggests using the original Win XP disc but I'm thinking Microsoft
    > might have another answer since this seems to be a very common problem.
    >
    > James
    >
    > "S.Sengupta" wrote:
    >
    >> I do agree,before completing the post, I by mistake clicked the
    >> 'send'button and all ended up in a mess.Since then my server was down
    >> so couldn't get a chance to rectify that bad post.It happens
    >> sometimes.Anyway regretted.
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >> Alias wrote:
    >> > Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read the OP's post again
    >> > and
    >> > ask yourself if you posted anything useful.

    Hi James,
    Do what Alias has suggested.FXSCOM.DLL is present in XP Cd,extract that
    from the original Cd-try manually extracting the file from the I386
    directory.Hope that will fix the problem.
    You may download the above dll file
    from:-http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?fxscom ,but I
    shall suggest you to extract from the original CD.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    James wrote:

    > To S.Sengupta:
    >
    > OK, now that you have read about the problem, what advice do you have?
    > "Alias" suggests using the original Win XP disc but I'm thinking Microsoft
    > might have another answer since this seems to be a very common problem.
    >
    > James
    >
    > "S.Sengupta" wrote:
    >

    >>I do agree,before completing the post, I by mistake clicked the
    >>'send'button and all ended up in a mess.Since then my server was down
    >>so couldn't get a chance to rectify that bad post.It happens
    >>sometimes.Anyway regretted.
    >>
    >>regards,
    >>ssg MS-MVP
    >>Alias wrote:
    >>
    >>>Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read the OP's post again and
    >>>ask yourself if you posted anything useful.

Fax CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP