Installing Fax Services

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When trying to install the fax capability, the installer asks me to put the
XP SP2 disc in the drive so that it can find a file "FXSCOM.DLL" but there is
no file of that name on the CD so I can't install the fax services.

There are other "FAX*.* files on the CD, should I be pointing the setup
program to one of those and if so, which one?

Regards, James Baines

Alias

Try using the XP disc, not the SP2 disc.

--
Alias

"James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> When trying to install the fax capability, the installer asks me to put
> the
> XP SP2 disc in the drive so that it can find a file "FXSCOM.DLL" but there
> is
> no file of that name on the CD so I can't install the fax services.
>
> There are other "FAX*.* files on the CD, should I be pointing the setup
> program to one of those and if so, which one?
>
> Regards, James Baines

The fax service isn't automatically installed in Windows XP. To install
the fax component:
Open Control Panel, and click Add or Remove Programs.
Click Add/Remove Windows Components. Select the Fax Services check box,
and then click Next.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

James wrote:

> When trying to install the fax capability, the installer asks me to put the
> XP SP2 disc in the drive so that it can find a file "FXSCOM.DLL" but there is
> no file of that name on the CD so I can't install the fax services.
>
> There are other "FAX*.* files on the CD, should I be pointing the setup
> program to one of those and if so, which one?
>
> Regards, James Baines

Alias

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read the OP's post again and
ask yourself if you posted anything useful.

--
Alias

"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote

> The fax service isn't automatically installed in Windows XP. To install
> the fax component:
> Open Control Panel, and click Add or Remove Programs.
> Click Add/Remove Windows Components. Select the Fax Services check box,
> and then click Next.

And then it asks for XP SP2 CD like the OP wrote.

> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>

> James wrote:
>
>> When trying to install the fax capability, the installer asks me to put
>> the XP SP2 disc in the drive so that it can find a file "FXSCOM.DLL" but
>> there is no file of that name on the CD so I can't install the fax
>> services.
>>
>> There are other "FAX*.* files on the CD, should I be pointing the setup
>> program to one of those and if so, which one?
>>
>> Regards, James Baines

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Alias, at least your response showed that you had bothered to read the
question. I'll try the original XP disc and see if that works

James

"Alias" wrote:

> Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read the OP's post again and
> ask yourself if you posted anything useful.
>
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
>
> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote
>
> > The fax service isn't automatically installed in Windows XP. To install
> > the fax component:
> > Open Control Panel, and click Add or Remove Programs.
> > Click Add/Remove Windows Components. Select the Fax Services check box,
> > and then click Next.
>
> And then it asks for XP SP2 CD like the OP wrote.
>

> > regards,
> > ssg MS-MVP
> >

> > James wrote:
> >
> >> When trying to install the fax capability, the installer asks me to put
> >> the XP SP2 disc in the drive so that it can find a file "FXSCOM.DLL" but
> >> there is no file of that name on the CD so I can't install the fax
> >> services.
> >>
> >> There are other "FAX*.* files on the CD, should I be pointing the setup
> >> program to one of those and if so, which one?
> >>
> >> Regards, James Baines

Alias

It's worked for me on three computers.

--
Alias

"James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Thanks Alias, at least your response showed that you had bothered to read
> the
> question. I'll try the original XP disc and see if that works
>
> James
>
> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read the OP's post again and
>> ask yourself if you posted anything useful.
>>
>> --
>> Alias
>>
>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
>>
>> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote
>>
>> > The fax service isn't automatically installed in Windows XP. To install
>> > the fax component:
>> > Open Control Panel, and click Add or Remove Programs.
>> > Click Add/Remove Windows Components. Select the Fax Services check box,
>> > and then click Next.
>>
>> And then it asks for XP SP2 CD like the OP wrote.
>>

>> > regards,
>> > ssg MS-MVP

I do agree,before completing the post, I by mistake clicked the
'send'button and all ended up in a mess.Since then my server was down
so couldn't get a chance to rectify that bad post.It happens
sometimes.Anyway regretted.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP
Alias wrote:
> Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read the OP's post again and
> ask yourself if you posted anything useful.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

To S.Sengupta:

OK, now that you have read about the problem, what advice do you have?
"Alias" suggests using the original Win XP disc but I'm thinking Microsoft
might have another answer since this seems to be a very common problem.

James

"S.Sengupta" wrote:

> I do agree,before completing the post, I by mistake clicked the
> 'send'button and all ended up in a mess.Since then my server was down
> so couldn't get a chance to rectify that bad post.It happens
> sometimes.Anyway regretted.
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
> Alias wrote:
> > Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read the OP's post again and
> > ask yourself if you posted anything useful.

Alias

Have you tried the original XP disc yet? I bet it will work.

--
Alias

"James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> To S.Sengupta:
>
> OK, now that you have read about the problem, what advice do you have?
> "Alias" suggests using the original Win XP disc but I'm thinking Microsoft
> might have another answer since this seems to be a very common problem.
>
> James
>
> "S.Sengupta" wrote:
>
>> I do agree,before completing the post, I by mistake clicked the
>> 'send'button and all ended up in a mess.Since then my server was down
>> so couldn't get a chance to rectify that bad post.It happens
>> sometimes.Anyway regretted.
>>
>> regards,
>> ssg MS-MVP
>> Alias wrote:
>> > Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read the OP's post again
>> > and
>> > ask yourself if you posted anything useful.

Hi James,
Do what Alias has suggested.FXSCOM.DLL is present in XP Cd,extract that
from the original Cd-try manually extracting the file from the I386
directory.Hope that will fix the problem.
You may download the above dll file
from:-http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?fxscom ,but I
shall suggest you to extract from the original CD.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP