BSOD on Windows 7 Booting from Disk

Last response: in Windows 7
September 14, 2012 4:06:13 PM

Computer Info:

CPU: 3.00GHz
Memory: 2.5 Gigs
Dell Dimension 4100

----------

When I boot from it after the "Starting Windows" Screen I get BSOD and it says "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA".

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8E7FFDF4, 0x00000001, 0x8BC7DE13, 0x00000000)

This is what I thought was important from the BSOD all the middle text says is disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing, and I have no idea how to do that and no idea if that would even fix this.

Can anyone help me? Can this be caused from a faulty hard drive or is this a problem with the install disk itself.
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
September 14, 2012 4:30:43 PM

Go in bios and make sure your memory voltage is set correctly. The proper voltage is listed on a sticker on the dimms. If you have 2.0v memory and it's defaulting to 1.8v, it would cause this problem.

Then you could try disabling caching/shadowing, although I've never heard of doing that.
m
l
September 14, 2012 4:47:54 PM

How do I set the voltage, the computer isn't one of the newer ones - the bios is Revision A10. Not sure if you can even do this lol.

I have two types of memory in my PC right now, I'll try removing the one that's not the same and see what happens.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 14, 2012 4:51:27 PM

Yup, mismatched memory could cause this, as could incorrect memory or faulty memory. 50 series stop codes typically point to memory as the problem.

Dell BIOS doesn't give any control over voltages.
m
l
September 14, 2012 5:05:35 PM

Alright I'm booting from the disk now and I have now gotten to the Install Windows Screen!

I guess the mismatched memory was the problem, but now I can't get my HDD to be recongnized, only my CD-Drive.

Can you help me with this too?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 14, 2012 5:09:16 PM

Is the drive properly identified in BIOS?

If so then there's no reason the installer won't see it.
m
l
September 14, 2012 5:22:40 PM

Okay guys, so many problems but it's like trial and error, got past the BSOD, but now I've gotten my Hard Drive to be recongnized in BIOS as Primary Master Drive which is exactly what I wanted, but NOW I can't get my CD-Drive to be recongnized, It's getting power because when I turn my computer on and go into BIOS I can open and close the drive.

But it's not getting recongnized.

Sorry for so many questions and problems..
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 14, 2012 5:29:48 PM

Make sure that if both devices are on the same cable you have one set for master and the other as slave. If using 80 wire IDE set both for CS (cable select).
m
l
September 14, 2012 5:32:45 PM

I'm using 40pin and the CD Drive is set as Slave and the Hard drive has no jumper because it says that's master.

EDIT: I have just realised that I need to put the jumper in the middle of the Hard drive to signifiy A master drive with a slave present. I booted and the drive is recongnized as master but still no CD-Drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 14, 2012 5:43:47 PM

I'm a bit hazy on that specific motherboard but if there's a second IDE interface put the CD on it as master and set the HD as master with no slave on the primary. The reality is that having both on the same cable will reduce performance as I/O is parallel between devices on separate channels, and serial between devices on the same channel.

Edit: You really should be using an 80-wire IDE cable on the HD if you want to use the fastest DMA modes.
m
l
September 14, 2012 5:44:00 PM

If they're both on separate IDE cables, you should have them both configured as Master.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
September 14, 2012 5:59:39 PM

Ok so your dell probably uses 1.8v memory, and that's what the bios is set to and yo attempted to use higher voltage memory, which failed to run at that voltage. Problem solved.
m
l
September 14, 2012 6:08:37 PM

Okay well here is my situation, I can get only one device to be recongnized as the Primary master at once, I can get the hard drive to be master, I can get the CD-ROM to be master, but not both of them at the same time.

I'm connecting them correctly with correct jumper settings too..Could it be the motherboard connectors are going bad?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 14, 2012 6:14:28 PM

Put the HD on primary. Get an 80-wire cable and use CS (Cable Select). Put the HD on the end of the cable (CS will make it the master)

Put the CD on secondary. Again, 80-wire cable and CS. Put it at the end of the cable.
m
l
September 14, 2012 6:17:36 PM

I do not have any 80 wire I don't think..Just 40.

Can I do cable select with a 40 wire?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 14, 2012 6:24:03 PM

CS only works on 80-wire.
m
l
September 14, 2012 6:47:14 PM

Guys I think it's the motherboard, There is a white connector on the mobo and a black one, I'm connecting a cable to the black one with the cd drive and the HDD.

But once again..only the CD-drive shows up in the bios because it's set to master.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 14, 2012 6:52:56 PM

Are both connectors 40-pin? If so get another cable, set both units to master and place each one at the end of a cable. Problem solved.
m
l
September 14, 2012 6:57:17 PM

Guys, great news - I got both of them to be hooked up and recongnized/configured at once!

But when I boot up on the disk, everything is messed up distorted, discolored and you can't see anything bcause of it. It's not the monitor because it's displaying everything else correctly.

The disk is fine and hasn't been messed with so what can cause this?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 14, 2012 6:59:34 PM

Video cable, video drivers, failed/failing video card. Just to name 3.
m
l
September 14, 2012 7:19:00 PM

Hm, replaced the cable and it works fine, I also found the harddrive I originally used a 80gig, already got it hooked up great. Gonna try booting up from the disk and installing.

Hope it works.

Btw any idea how I would install a bios update that's EXE from Dell without being able to login to an OS if the W7 fails?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 90 } Memory
September 14, 2012 7:54:54 PM

most bios updates from dell are a dos 3.5 boot disk you have to run it from another pc with a blank 3.5 inch floppy. it make a boot disk for you that you boot the dell you want to flash with.
m
l
!