xom

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

I heard microsoft allows one copy of windows xp on a laptop and a
desktop. Is this true OR do they only allow this with the retail
version.

--
Xom

That only applies only to Microsoft Office (Single App or Suites).

Xom wrote:
> I heard microsoft allows one copy of windows xp on a laptop and a
> desktop. Is this true OR do they only allow this with the retail
> version.

I heard that Microsoft is a consumer-friendly company and that
copy-protection is much better for the consumer.

I also heard that you are a Troll.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Xom wrote:

> I heard microsoft allows one copy of windows xp on a laptop and a
> desktop. Is this true OR do they only allow this with the retail
> version.

Not true for the XP OS or any MS OS for some time. One computer, one
license. Certain versions of office can be on a desktop and laptop.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

In news:Xom.1s3vpn@pcbanter.net,
Xom <Xom.1s3vpn@pcbanter.net> typed:

> I heard microsoft allows one copy of windows xp on a laptop and
> desktop. Is this true OR do they only allow this with the
> retail
> version.

Sorry, you heard wrong. It is *not* true--neither of the retail
version nor any other version.

It is however true of retail versions of Microsoft Office.

Please reply to the newsgroup

If it has been 120 days since first activation itll work fine.

Xom wrote:
> I heard microsoft allows one copy of windows xp on a laptop and a
> desktop. Is this true OR do they only allow this with the retail
> version.

Retail licenses of Office (and many other Microsoft products) permit
the installation of the software onto one desktop computer and one
portable computer, provided that the license owner is the primary user
of both machines, but this has never been the case with Microsoft
operating systems, such as Windows.

You need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer on
which you install it.

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
multiple installations using a single license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:50:56 -0500, "Brian Conner"
<donteventhinkaboutemailingme@nomail.com> wrote:

>If it has been 120 days since first activation itll work fine.
>"Xom" <Xom.1s3vpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I heard microsoft allows one copy of windows xp on a laptop and a
>> desktop. Is this true OR do they only allow this with the retail
>> version.
>>

>> --
>> Xom
>
>If it has been 120 days since first activation itll work fine.

This may be true, but it doesn't make it right...............

NobodyMan wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:50:56 -0500, "Brian Conner"
> <donteventhinkaboutemailingme@nomail.com> wrote:
>
>> If it has been 120 days since first activation itll work fine.
>> "Xom" <Xom.1s3vpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I heard microsoft allows one copy of windows xp on a laptop and a
>>> desktop. Is this true OR do they only allow this with the retail
>>> version.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Xom
>>
>> If it has been 120 days since first activation itll work fine.
>

> This may be true, but it doesn't make it right...............

Right to who? MS or the consumer?

--

Bruce Chambers wrote:

> Retail licenses of Office (and many other Microsoft products) permit
> the installation of the software onto one desktop computer and one
> portable computer, provided that the license owner is the primary user
> of both machines, but this has never been the case with Microsoft
> operating systems, such as Windows.
>
> You need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer on
> which you install it.
>
> Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
> systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and
> U.S. copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html),
> if not technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer
> on which it is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright
> law to determine final applicability in your locale.) <snip>

Yes, please consult a lawyer, if you cannot see for yourself that Bruce
is also a big fat liar. He uses a law that is a limitation on the
exclusive rights of the copyright owner, like Microsoft, and falsely
presents it as a limitation on you an owner of a copy of software.

http://tinyurl.com/hhjj - 314 times with your previous incarnation, "to
be in compliance with both the EULA and copyright laws."
http://snipurl.com/d81h - 146 times with your latest incarnation, "to be
in compliance with both the EULA and U.S. copyright."

The title of the Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 117 is "Limitations on
exclusive rights: Computer programs"

And under copyright law that only group that has "exclusive rights" are
COPYRIGHT OWNERS, like Microsoft.

But Brucey doesn't care about purposefully repeating his false
statements. He is a propagandist in the same mold as Goebels. Repeat
something often enough, and people will begin to believe, no matter how
much of a lie it really is.