inserting MN-720 cause notebook to lock-up

kenp

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

Hi,
I'm having trouble with my MN-700 basestation and MN-720
PCCard. It started with dropped connections. My wife
started unplugging and replugging the 720 to restore the
connection.

Now the computer (Compaq 2100, XP w/ SP1) locks up during
boot (at the roving eye screen) or when the card is
inserted (if already booted up). Sometimes the computer
does an power off then power on when the card is removed
from the locked up computer.

I've done all I can think of, any ideas??? How would one
know if the card has gone bad? I don't have another
computer to test it on.

Many thanks in advance,
Ken

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Dear KenP,

Yeowee! You and your wife are unplugging and re-plugging
a "hot" CardBus card (MN-720)!

If you've done this a number of time, I would almost
guarantee the card is bad. DO NOT try this in ANOTHER
PC! You may blow its port altogether.

Sorry

kenp

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

Part of the problem is that the card doesn't seem to stay
seated in the slot very well. That is to say there isn't
a card locking mechanism, it's like only the pins are
holding it in and it's a bit loose and if you use it in
your lap (a laptop right?) the slightest bump wiggles it
enough to cause a problem.

I did get it back sorta working by un-installing and re-
installing the Broadband utility, but it took 4 tries!

Any ideas welcome.
Thanks,
Ken