WinTADS compatibility

Last response: in Video Games
September 26, 2005 7:01:20 PM

I am trying to play a new TADS game with a copy of WinTADS from 2000.
I keep getting an error message "invalid type for built-in function".
Is this error because the WinTADS is five years old?

Thanks,

Ramona

More about : wintads compatibility

Anonymous
September 26, 2005 8:25:25 PM

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Ramona White wrote:
> > I am trying to play a new TADS game with a copy of WinTADS from 2000.
> > I keep getting an error message "invalid type for built-in function".
> > Is this error because the WinTADS is five years old?
>
> I can't think of any other reason. The VM included in WinTADS is quite old.

Aaahh. The poor author will be glad to hear it. I will download a
newer version. Thank you.

Ramona
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 5:41:50 AM

Ramona White wrote:
> I am trying to play a new TADS game with a copy of WinTADS from 2000.
> I keep getting an error message "invalid type for built-in function".
> Is this error because the WinTADS is five years old?

I can't think of any other reason. The VM included in WinTADS is quite old.
September 27, 2005 6:36:55 AM

Ramona White wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> The VM included in WinTADS is quite old.
>
> Aaahh. The poor author will be glad to hear it. I will download a
> newer version. Thank you.

Just download the HTML Tads player kit (http://tads.org). WinTADS has
been discontinued; there are no up-to-date versions available.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 4:34:51 PM

"Ramona White" <roama@hotmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to play a new TADS game with a copy of WinTADS from 2000.
> I keep getting an error message "invalid type for built-in function".
> Is this error because the WinTADS is five years old?

Yes. I haven't updated WinTADS to the latest VM in a long time, and am
extremely unlikely to do so now that the HTML TADS interpreter is
available. I'd suggest grabbing the HTML TADS Player's Kit from
http://mirror.ifarchive.org/if-archive/programming/tads...
instead.

Stephen

--