WinTADS compatibility

I am trying to play a new TADS game with a copy of WinTADS from 2000.
I keep getting an error message "invalid type for built-in function".
Is this error because the WinTADS is five years old?

Thanks,

Ramona

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Ramona White wrote:
> > I am trying to play a new TADS game with a copy of WinTADS from 2000.
> > I keep getting an error message "invalid type for built-in function".
> > Is this error because the WinTADS is five years old?
>
> I can't think of any other reason. The VM included in WinTADS is quite old.

Aaahh. The poor author will be glad to hear it. I will download a
newer version. Thank you.

Ramona

Ramona White wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> The VM included in WinTADS is quite old.
>
> Aaahh. The poor author will be glad to hear it. I will download a
> newer version. Thank you.

Just download the HTML Tads player kit (http://tads.org). WinTADS has
been discontinued; there are no up-to-date versions available.

"Ramona White" <roama@hotmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to play a new TADS game with a copy of WinTADS from 2000.
> I keep getting an error message "invalid type for built-in function".
> Is this error because the WinTADS is five years old?

Yes. I haven't updated WinTADS to the latest VM in a long time, and am
extremely unlikely to do so now that the HTML TADS interpreter is
available. I'd suggest grabbing the HTML TADS Player's Kit from
http://mirror.ifarchive.org/if-archive/programming/tads2/executables/htads_playkit_259.exe
instead.

Stephen

--