Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

From: "A.Pismo Clam" <Alaininvc@'86DASPAMnetscape.net>
>Can you recommend us to a mah jongg set that won't break the bank if she
>decides she doesn't like to play the game[!]; for $10 or so? Possible?
>Alain...San Diego

Alain, to buy a reasonable mah-jongg set, "the bank" needs to have at least
$30-$35 if you want to play Asian mah-jongg, and if you want to play
American mah-jongg, the bank needs more than that - like around $100. As
long as the bank has that much money in it, it won't break. (^_^)

If your maximum budget truly is $10, you can always buy a deck of mah-jongg
kards.... But it's very likely that your wife will not enjoy that nearly as
much as a regular set of tiles.

There DO exist extremely cheap sets, and you might be able to purchase a
ratty old used cheaply-made set on eBay. But a very large part of the
pleasure of mah-jongg comes from having nice tiles - tiles of a reasonable
size, with a reasonable heft, and of reasonable good looks and condition. If
you FIND a set that costs only $10, I don't recommend you buy it - buying it
would be like intentionally making sure that your wife won't enjoy the game.
If you want her to enjoy the game, I recommend spending what it costs for a
reasonable set.

The FAQs contain all the information about where to get sets, what kind of
set to get for the type of mah-jongg you are learning (even what type to
learn if you haven't started yet). See link below. May the tiles be with
you!

Tom

--

Tom Sloper -
- The Mah-Jongg FAQs. 100+ web pages of information and bulletin boards

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

On 2004-04-13 03:40:23 +0200, "A.Pismo Clam"
<Alaininvc@'86DASPAMnetscape.net> said:

> Hello All!
>
> My wife and I have been introduced to the game, but haven't played it yet.
>
> Can you recommend us to a mah jongg set that won't break the bank if
> she decides she doesn't like to play the game[!]; for $10 or so?
> Possible?
>
> Alain...San Diego

Dunno about San Diego, in my town (Nijmegen, The Netherlands) you buy a
good plastic set for just ?20 (some $23). And plastic sets are the
best! I think for $10 you can have an all-bamboo set, which is very
annoying to play with,
I would recommend to play it first with some other folks. You will need
them anyway, mahjong is done by four people. Then you know if you will
really like the game. And then you can buy a real good set, which will
last for the rest of your life (although I tend to buy a new one every
few years or so (^^)

Enjoy!
--

"Martin Rep" <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote in message
> On 2004-04-13 03:40:23 +0200, "A.Pismo Clam"
> <Alaininvc@'86DASPAMnetscape.net> said:
>
> > Hello All!
> >
> > My wife and I have been introduced to the game, but haven't played it
yet.

> > Can you recommend us to a mah jongg set that won't break the bank if
> > she decides she doesn't like to play the game[!]; for $10 or so?
> > Possible?
> >
> > Alain...San Diego
>
> Dunno about San Diego, in my town (Nijmegen, The Netherlands) you buy a
> good plastic set for just ?20 (some $23). And plastic sets are the
> best! I think for $10 you can have an all-bamboo set, which is very
> annoying to play with,
> I would recommend to play it first with some other folks. You will need
> them anyway, mahjong is done by four people. Then you know if you will
> really like the game. And then you can buy a real good set, which will
> last for the rest of your life (although I tend to buy a new one every
> few years or so (^^)

This is good advice to new comers: Play with others before you decide to
invest in the set of your own. Because other than cost of the set alone,
there could be a great deal of "hidden costs" - Game table, table light,
extra chairs, tea and snack holders, etc., etc.

Anyway, try it!

Cofa Tsui
www.iMahjong.com