User Accounts in XP Pro

Went to Control Panel/User Accounts to set up new account for my wife but
when name input, message appeared saying the the account (name) already
exists. It doesn't, there is no visible reference to it in Documents and
Settings and it is not already shown as an account under the control
panel/user accounts etc. If the account exists, how do I find it to delete
or make visible to use it.
17 answers Last reply
More about user accounts

    Using an account with Administrative privileges
    Go to Start...Run and type in

    control userpasswords2

    and hit Enter. A screen should show up with all accounts listed.

    "barrowhill" wrote:

    > Went to Control Panel/User Accounts to set up new account for my wife but
    > when name input, message appeared saying the the account (name) already
    > exists. It doesn't, there is no visible reference to it in Documents and
    > Settings and it is not already shown as an account under the control
    > panel/user accounts etc. If the account exists, how do I find it to delete
    > or make visible to use it.

    usasma,

    Thanks for reply...................The only accounts (user names) listed are
    for myself, Administrator, Guest and ASPNET. The wife's account name is not
    shown, though as previously stated, when trying to create account using her
    name system says already exists (!?!)

    "usasma" wrote:

    > Using an account with Administrative privileges
    > Go to Start...Run and type in
    >
    > control userpasswords2
    >
    > and hit Enter. A screen should show up with all accounts listed.
    >
    > "barrowhill" wrote:
    >
    > > Went to Control Panel/User Accounts to set up new account for my wife but
    > > when name input, message appeared saying the the account (name) already
    > > exists. It doesn't, there is no visible reference to it in Documents and
    > > Settings and it is not already shown as an account under the control
    > > panel/user accounts etc. If the account exists, how do I find it to delete
    > > or make visible to use it.

    Is your computer, by any chance, named after your wife? Windows will get
    pretty truculent if you try to name an account the same name as the computer
    (found this out on my kid's systems).

    Other than this, I'm out of ideas and we'll have to wait for someone with
    more experience in this issue.

    "barrowhill" wrote:

    > usasma,
    >
    > Thanks for reply...................The only accounts (user names) listed are
    > for myself, Administrator, Guest and ASPNET. The wife's account name is not
    > shown, though as previously stated, when trying to create account using her
    > name system says already exists (!?!)
    >
    > "usasma" wrote:
    >
    > > Using an account with Administrative privileges
    > > Go to Start...Run and type in
    > >
    > > control userpasswords2
    > >
    > > and hit Enter. A screen should show up with all accounts listed.
    > >
    > > "barrowhill" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Went to Control Panel/User Accounts to set up new account for my wife but
    > > > when name input, message appeared saying the the account (name) already
    > > > exists. It doesn't, there is no visible reference to it in Documents and
    > > > Settings and it is not already shown as an account under the control
    > > > panel/user accounts etc. If the account exists, how do I find it to delete
    > > > or make visible to use it.

    usasma,

    That's something to remember!!, but alas, no, I haven't a computer with the
    wife's name. Thanks for your help, hopefully somone else may be able to shed
    some light on the matter.

    On 13 Jul 2005, barrowhill <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for reply...................The only accounts (user names) listed are
    >for myself, Administrator, Guest and ASPNET. The wife's account name is not
    >shown, though as previously stated, when trying to create account using her
    >name system says already exists (!?!)

    It probably exists in a different workgroup. That is why you don't see it
    listed. If you go to the Documents and Settings folder is there a folder
    with her name?

    Don,

    No, I'd already checked and as stated in original post, there is no visible
    account in the documents and settings folder. This only folders are for
    myself, 'Administrator', 'Guest' and 'All Users'

    "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Went to Control Panel/User Accounts to set up new account for my wife but
    > when name input, message appeared saying the the account (name) already
    > exists. It doesn't, there is no visible reference to it in Documents and
    > Settings and it is not already shown as an account under the control
    > panel/user accounts etc. If the account exists, how do I find it to
    delete
    > or make visible to use it.

    Have you tried logging on to the account? The folders in Documents and
    settings aren't created until the first time the account is logged on to.

    Gorden,

    *** This may be second post...first didn't say it had been posted ***

    I'd like to if you can tell me how to log onto an account that appears to be
    invisibile.????

    The Welcome screens only ever shows two possible accounts; my own and
    'Guest' which was switched on via control panel/user accounts and used by my
    wife in the interim.

    > Don,
    >
    > No, I'd already checked and as stated in original post, there is no
    visible
    > account in the documents and settings folder. This only folders are for
    > myself, 'Administrator', 'Guest' and 'All Users'

    See my reply. The folders are not created until you log in to the account
    for the first time.

    > Gorden,
    >
    > *** This may be second post...first didn't say it had been posted ***
    >
    > I'd like to if you can tell me how to log onto an account that appears to
    be
    > invisibile.????
    >
    > The Welcome screens only ever shows two possible accounts; my own and
    > 'Guest' which was switched on via control panel/user accounts and used by
    my
    > wife in the interim.

    XP Pro or Home? In Pro, at the Welcome Screen press Ctl-Alt-Del twice, and
    the old W2K style log-in dialog box appears. In Home, log on as an Admin
    User, go to Control Panel-Users and change the way users log on.(ie without
    the welcome screen). Then log out, and try logging back in.

    HTH

    and that will achieve what exactly ????
    --
    there are no problems just challenges

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Gorden,
    > >
    > > *** This may be second post...first didn't say it had been posted ***
    > >
    > > I'd like to if you can tell me how to log onto an account that appears to
    > be
    > > invisibile.????
    > >
    > > The Welcome screens only ever shows two possible accounts; my own and
    > > 'Guest' which was switched on via control panel/user accounts and used by
    > my
    > > wife in the interim.
    >
    > XP Pro or Home? In Pro, at the Welcome Screen press Ctl-Alt-Del twice, and
    > the old W2K style log-in dialog box appears. In Home, log on as an Admin
    > User, go to Control Panel-Users and change the way users log on.(ie without
    > the welcome screen). Then log out, and try logging back in.
    >
    > HTH

    sGorden,

    Thanks for that, I'll remember tip for future. We are getting somehere.
    Under Documents and Settings, I now see the newlly created folder (account)
    for my wife, so that at least is something. However the Welcome screen on
    boot or logoff (my) account, still only shows my account and 'Guest'. Equally
    the run command suggested by usamsa also still doesn't show my wifes'
    account. I've rebooted to ensure any changed settings have been applied.

    So the account appears to be there now but not visible on welcome screen.
    Any sugesstions as what to do next ???

    As an aside; having changed back how one logs on/off, when I now log off an
    account, I get what appears to be the W2K "are you sure you want to log-off"
    window. I thought under the classic style, it just logged off and returned
    to the welcome screen without the requirement to confirm action ??

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Gorden,
    > >
    > > *** This may be second post...first didn't say it had been posted ***
    > >
    > > I'd like to if you can tell me how to log onto an account that appears to
    > be
    > > invisibile.????
    > >
    > > The Welcome screens only ever shows two possible accounts; my own and
    > > 'Guest' which was switched on via control panel/user accounts and used by
    > my
    > > wife in the interim.
    >
    > XP Pro or Home? In Pro, at the Welcome Screen press Ctl-Alt-Del twice, and
    > the old W2K style log-in dialog box appears. In Home, log on as an Admin
    > User, go to Control Panel-Users and change the way users log on.(ie without
    > the welcome screen). Then log out, and try logging back in.
    >
    > HTH

    Gorden,

    Further info............

    When I boot, I boot directly into my account. It doesn't go to welcome
    screen to let me choose my own account on 'Guest' account (perhaps that's
    normal ??)

    When I log off my account, the welcome screen will show my account as well
    as guest account.

    When I'm in the Guest account and I log off, I receive an unresponsive
    program window entitled "End Program - MOffice". I have to 'End Now' because
    it never responds. This is exactly the same if I'm in my wife's account
    (Ctl-Alt-Del x 2 and log-in from welcome screen) and I log out from that.

    All rather confusing I think ???!!!

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Gorden,
    > >
    > > *** This may be second post...first didn't say it had been posted ***
    > >
    > > I'd like to if you can tell me how to log onto an account that appears to
    > be
    > > invisibile.????
    > >
    > > The Welcome screens only ever shows two possible accounts; my own and
    > > 'Guest' which was switched on via control panel/user accounts and used by
    > my
    > > wife in the interim.
    >
    > XP Pro or Home? In Pro, at the Welcome Screen press Ctl-Alt-Del twice, and
    > the old W2K style log-in dialog box appears. In Home, log on as an Admin
    > User, go to Control Panel-Users and change the way users log on.(ie without
    > the welcome screen). Then log out, and try logging back in.
    >
    > HTH

    As regards the "aside", this resolved. For some reason the 'Fast User
    Switching' in user accounts under control panel had become unchecked.
    Probably my own doing.

    "steve.a" <stevea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > and that will achieve what exactly ????

    The OP said he couldn't see any folders for this account in C:\Documents and
    settings. My response was, that the folders are not created until that
    account is logged on to for the first time. THAT is what this will
    accomplish -- if the account has actually been created.

    the op stated that he could not create the account, you are asking him to log
    in to an account that he has been unable to create, the easiest way to check
    what accounts are there is control userpasswords2 this will list all
    accounts including hidden accounts
    --

    > the op stated that he could not create the account,

    Because he got the message that the account was already created!

Control Panel User Accounts Windows XP