User Accounts in XP Pro

July 13, 2005 9:40:02 AM

Went to Control Panel/User Accounts to set up new account for my wife but
when name input, message appeared saying the the account (name) already
exists. It doesn't, there is no visible reference to it in Documents and
Settings and it is not already shown as an account under the control
panel/user accounts etc. If the account exists, how do I find it to delete
or make visible to use it.

More about : user accounts pro

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:05:02 AM

Using an account with Administrative privileges
Go to Start...Run and type in

control userpasswords2

and hit Enter. A screen should show up with all accounts listed.

"barrowhill" wrote:

> Went to Control Panel/User Accounts to set up new account for my wife but
> when name input, message appeared saying the the account (name) already
> exists. It doesn't, there is no visible reference to it in Documents and
> Settings and it is not already shown as an account under the control
> panel/user accounts etc. If the account exists, how do I find it to delete
> or make visible to use it.

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:15:04 AM

usasma,

Thanks for reply...................The only accounts (user names) listed are
for myself, Administrator, Guest and ASPNET. The wife's account name is not
shown, though as previously stated, when trying to create account using her
name system says already exists (!?!)

"usasma" wrote:

> Using an account with Administrative privileges
> Go to Start...Run and type in
>
> control userpasswords2
>
> and hit Enter. A screen should show up with all accounts listed.
>
> "barrowhill" wrote:
>
> > Went to Control Panel/User Accounts to set up new account for my wife but
> > when name input, message appeared saying the the account (name) already
> > exists. It doesn't, there is no visible reference to it in Documents and
> > Settings and it is not already shown as an account under the control
> > panel/user accounts etc. If the account exists, how do I find it to delete
> > or make visible to use it.

July 13, 2005 10:33:20 AM

Is your computer, by any chance, named after your wife? Windows will get
pretty truculent if you try to name an account the same name as the computer
(found this out on my kid's systems).

Other than this, I'm out of ideas and we'll have to wait for someone with
more experience in this issue.

"barrowhill" wrote:

> usasma,
>
> Thanks for reply...................The only accounts (user names) listed are
> for myself, Administrator, Guest and ASPNET. The wife's account name is not
> shown, though as previously stated, when trying to create account using her
> name system says already exists (!?!)
>
> "usasma" wrote:
>
> > Using an account with Administrative privileges
> > Go to Start...Run and type in
> >
> > control userpasswords2
> >
> > and hit Enter. A screen should show up with all accounts listed.
> >
> > "barrowhill" wrote:
> >
> > > Went to Control Panel/User Accounts to set up new account for my wife but
> > > when name input, message appeared saying the the account (name) already
> > > exists. It doesn't, there is no visible reference to it in Documents and
> > > Settings and it is not already shown as an account under the control
> > > panel/user accounts etc. If the account exists, how do I find it to delete
> > > or make visible to use it.

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 11:07:06 AM

usasma,

That's something to remember!!, but alas, no, I haven't a computer with the
wife's name. Thanks for your help, hopefully somone else may be able to shed
some light on the matter.

"usasma" wrote:

> Is your computer, by any chance, named after your wife? Windows will get
> pretty truculent if you try to name an account the same name as the computer
> (found this out on my kid's systems).
>
> Other than this, I'm out of ideas and we'll have to wait for someone with
> more experience in this issue.
>
> "barrowhill" wrote:
>
> > usasma,
> >
> > Thanks for reply...................The only accounts (user names) listed are
> > for myself, Administrator, Guest and ASPNET. The wife's account name is not
> > shown, though as previously stated, when trying to create account using her
> > name system says already exists (!?!)
> >
> > "usasma" wrote:
> >
> > > Using an account with Administrative privileges
> > > Go to Start...Run and type in
> > >
> > > control userpasswords2
> > >
> > > and hit Enter. A screen should show up with all accounts listed.

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:15:03 PM

On 13 Jul 2005, barrowhill <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for reply...................The only accounts (user names) listed are
>for myself, Administrator, Guest and ASPNET. The wife's account name is not
>shown, though as previously stated, when trying to create account using her
>name system says already exists (!?!)

It probably exists in a different workgroup. That is why you don't see it
listed. If you go to the Documents and Settings folder is there a folder
with her name?

Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:15:04 PM

Don,

No, I'd already checked and as stated in original post, there is no visible
account in the documents and settings folder. This only folders are for
myself, 'Administrator', 'Guest' and 'All Users'

"Don Wiss" wrote:

> On 13 Jul 2005, barrowhill <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for reply...................The only accounts (user names) listed are
> >for myself, Administrator, Guest and ASPNET. The wife's account name is not
> >shown, though as previously stated, when trying to create account using her
> >name system says already exists (!?!)
>
> It probably exists in a different workgroup. That is why you don't see it
> listed. If you go to the Documents and Settings folder is there a folder
> with her name?
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).

July 13, 2005 7:20:40 PM

"barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Went to Control Panel/User Accounts to set up new account for my wife but
> when name input, message appeared saying the the account (name) already
> exists. It doesn't, there is no visible reference to it in Documents and
> Settings and it is not already shown as an account under the control
> panel/user accounts etc. If the account exists, how do I find it to
delete
> or make visible to use it.

Have you tried logging on to the account? The folders in Documents and
settings aren't created until the first time the account is logged on to.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:20:41 PM

Gorden,

*** This may be second post...first didn't say it had been posted ***

I'd like to if you can tell me how to log onto an account that appears to be
invisibile.????

The Welcome screens only ever shows two possible accounts; my own and
'Guest' which was switched on via control panel/user accounts and used by my
wife in the interim.

"Gordon" wrote:

> "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Went to Control Panel/User Accounts to set up new account for my wife but
> > when name input, message appeared saying the the account (name) already
> > exists. It doesn't, there is no visible reference to it in Documents and
> > Settings and it is not already shown as an account under the control
> > panel/user accounts etc. If the account exists, how do I find it to
> delete
> > or make visible to use it.
> >

> Have you tried logging on to the account? The folders in Documents and
> settings aren't created until the first time the account is logged on to.

July 13, 2005 7:31:18 PM

"barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D EB17025-272A-422B-AC43-B7ED32BE27AB@microsoft.com...
> Don,
>
> No, I'd already checked and as stated in original post, there is no
visible
> account in the documents and settings folder. This only folders are for
> myself, 'Administrator', 'Guest' and 'All Users'

See my reply. The folders are not created until you log in to the account
for the first time.
July 13, 2005 7:54:43 PM

"barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 7A52A67-D427-4096-9DE5-4B737CFD0CB0@microsoft.com...
> Gorden,
>
> *** This may be second post...first didn't say it had been posted ***
>
> I'd like to if you can tell me how to log onto an account that appears to
be
> invisibile.????
>
> The Welcome screens only ever shows two possible accounts; my own and
> 'Guest' which was switched on via control panel/user accounts and used by
my
> wife in the interim.

XP Pro or Home? In Pro, at the Welcome Screen press Ctl-Alt-Del twice, and
the old W2K style log-in dialog box appears. In Home, log on as an Admin
User, go to Control Panel-Users and change the way users log on.(ie without
the welcome screen). Then log out, and try logging back in.

HTH
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:54:44 PM

and that will achieve what exactly ????
--
there are no problems just challenges

"Gordon" wrote:

> "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 7A52A67-D427-4096-9DE5-4B737CFD0CB0@microsoft.com...
> > Gorden,
> >
> > *** This may be second post...first didn't say it had been posted ***
> >
> > I'd like to if you can tell me how to log onto an account that appears to
> be
> > invisibile.????
> >
> > The Welcome screens only ever shows two possible accounts; my own and
> > 'Guest' which was switched on via control panel/user accounts and used by
> my
> > wife in the interim.
>
> XP Pro or Home? In Pro, at the Welcome Screen press Ctl-Alt-Del twice, and
> the old W2K style log-in dialog box appears. In Home, log on as an Admin
> User, go to Control Panel-Users and change the way users log on.(ie without
> the welcome screen). Then log out, and try logging back in.
>
> HTH

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:54:44 PM

sGorden,

Thanks for that, I'll remember tip for future. We are getting somehere.
Under Documents and Settings, I now see the newlly created folder (account)
for my wife, so that at least is something. However the Welcome screen on
boot or logoff (my) account, still only shows my account and 'Guest'. Equally
the run command suggested by usamsa also still doesn't show my wifes'
account. I've rebooted to ensure any changed settings have been applied.

So the account appears to be there now but not visible on welcome screen.
Any sugesstions as what to do next ???

As an aside; having changed back how one logs on/off, when I now log off an
account, I get what appears to be the W2K "are you sure you want to log-off"
window. I thought under the classic style, it just logged off and returned
to the welcome screen without the requirement to confirm action ??

"Gordon" wrote:

> "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 7A52A67-D427-4096-9DE5-4B737CFD0CB0@microsoft.com...
> > Gorden,
> >
> > *** This may be second post...first didn't say it had been posted ***
> >
> > I'd like to if you can tell me how to log onto an account that appears to
> be
> > invisibile.????
> >
> > The Welcome screens only ever shows two possible accounts; my own and
> > 'Guest' which was switched on via control panel/user accounts and used by
> my
> > wife in the interim.
>
> XP Pro or Home? In Pro, at the Welcome Screen press Ctl-Alt-Del twice, and
> the old W2K style log-in dialog box appears. In Home, log on as an Admin
> User, go to Control Panel-Users and change the way users log on.(ie without
> the welcome screen). Then log out, and try logging back in.
>
> HTH

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:54:44 PM

Gorden,

Further info............

When I boot, I boot directly into my account. It doesn't go to welcome
screen to let me choose my own account on 'Guest' account (perhaps that's
normal ??)

When I log off my account, the welcome screen will show my account as well
as guest account.

When I'm in the Guest account and I log off, I receive an unresponsive
program window entitled "End Program - MOffice". I have to 'End Now' because
it never responds. This is exactly the same if I'm in my wife's account
(Ctl-Alt-Del x 2 and log-in from welcome screen) and I log out from that.

All rather confusing I think ???!!!

"Gordon" wrote:

> "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 7A52A67-D427-4096-9DE5-4B737CFD0CB0@microsoft.com...
> > Gorden,
> >
> > *** This may be second post...first didn't say it had been posted ***
> >
> > I'd like to if you can tell me how to log onto an account that appears to
> be
> > invisibile.????
> >
> > The Welcome screens only ever shows two possible accounts; my own and
> > 'Guest' which was switched on via control panel/user accounts and used by
> my
> > wife in the interim.
>
> XP Pro or Home? In Pro, at the Welcome Screen press Ctl-Alt-Del twice, and
> the old W2K style log-in dialog box appears. In Home, log on as an Admin
> User, go to Control Panel-Users and change the way users log on.(ie without
> the welcome screen). Then log out, and try logging back in.
>
> HTH

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:54:45 PM

As regards the "aside", this resolved. For some reason the 'Fast User
Switching' in user accounts under control panel had become unchecked.
Probably my own doing.

"barrowhill" wrote:

> sGorden,
>
> Thanks for that, I'll remember tip for future. We are getting somehere.
> Under Documents and Settings, I now see the newlly created folder (account)
> for my wife, so that at least is something. However the Welcome screen on
> boot or logoff (my) account, still only shows my account and 'Guest'. Equally
> the run command suggested by usamsa also still doesn't show my wifes'
> account. I've rebooted to ensure any changed settings have been applied.
>
> So the account appears to be there now but not visible on welcome screen.
> Any sugesstions as what to do next ???
>
> As an aside; having changed back how one logs on/off, when I now log off an
> account, I get what appears to be the W2K "are you sure you want to log-off"
> window. I thought under the classic style, it just logged off and returned
> to the welcome screen without the requirement to confirm action ??
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
> > "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 7A52A67-D427-4096-9DE5-4B737CFD0CB0@microsoft.com...
> > > Gorden,
> > >
> > > *** This may be second post...first didn't say it had been posted ***
> > >
> > > I'd like to if you can tell me how to log onto an account that appears to
> > be
> > > invisibile.????
> > >
> > > The Welcome screens only ever shows two possible accounts; my own and
> > > 'Guest' which was switched on via control panel/user accounts and used by
> > my
> > > wife in the interim.
> >
> > XP Pro or Home? In Pro, at the Welcome Screen press Ctl-Alt-Del twice, and
> > the old W2K style log-in dialog box appears. In Home, log on as an Admin
> > User, go to Control Panel-Users and change the way users log on.(ie without
> > the welcome screen). Then log out, and try logging back in.
> >
> > HTH

July 13, 2005 8:07:00 PM

"steve.a" <stevea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> and that will achieve what exactly ????

The OP said he couldn't see any folders for this account in C:\Documents and
settings. My response was, that the folders are not created until that
account is logged on to for the first time. THAT is what this will
accomplish -- if the account has actually been created.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:07:01 PM

the op stated that he could not create the account, you are asking him to log
in to an account that he has been unable to create, the easiest way to check
what accounts are there is control userpasswords2 this will list all
accounts including hidden accounts
--

"Gordon" wrote:

> "steve.a" <stevea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > and that will achieve what exactly ????
>
> The OP said he couldn't see any folders for this account in C:\Documents and
> settings. My response was, that the folders are not created until that
> account is logged on to for the first time. THAT is what this will
> accomplish -- if the account has actually been created.

July 13, 2005 8:41:25 PM

> the op stated that he could not create the account,

Because he got the message that the account was already created!
!