Sign in with
Your question

SATA + IDE in a RAID config possible?

Last response: in Storage
December 13, 2004 4:32:17 PM

Please forgive me if this question has been covered. I have read through the RAID FAQs and still can't seem to arrive at a solid conclusion.

I currently have 3 ATA133 HDs (40gb, 40gb, 60gb). I purchased a Raptor (SATA drive) and was wondering if I could throw these into a RAID array?

1. Would there be any benefits/drawbacks to mixing SATA & ATA?

2. The 3 ATA133 HDs are 7200rpm, while the Raptor is 10,000. What effects will this have? Good, bad?

3. If it's possible and beneficial, could anyone recommend what array I choose? Whether to mirror or not, etc...?

4. The mobo I have supports SATA drives. Are there any special cables I could use to increase performance?

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks a lot guys/gals.

Below are my system specs.

ABIT "AA8-DuraMAX" i925X
Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 530 3.0 GHz
Kingston HyperX 1GB DDR2 PC2-5400 KHX5400D2K2/1G
WD Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Model WD360GD
Thermaltake W0014 480W Xaser Edition

More about : sata ide raid config

December 14, 2004 2:24:37 AM

The only controller I know of that can mix SATA and IDE in a RAID array is nVidia's.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 14, 2004 3:15:57 AM

You "could" do a software raid in windows but I don't recommend it. Windows is decent and all but I wouldn't trust it with all my data in a software array :) 

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
December 14, 2004 8:12:20 AM

Dont put your raptor in a RAID array with those other drives. The raptors average seek time is waaaaaaaaay better than any of those 7200RPM drives, but if you put them in a RAID0 array the seek time becomes that of the slowest drive in the array. A RAID array is only usefull when handling huge files (video or large audio), otherwise you will not notice an increase in performance. In fact I think if you had the raptor as a stand alone drive and then put it in a RAID array you would actually notice a decrease in performance.
!