Sign in with
Your question

The End of Snail Mail?

Last response: in Tom's Guide
October 1, 2007 10:29:42 AM

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/2007/10/01/the_end_of_regular_mail/index.html

If email is the killer app of the Internet era then why do we all still have snail mail mailboxes? Thanks to a new service, that to may soon come to an end.

More about : end snail mail

October 1, 2007 2:57:01 PM

But would u really want any sensitive material ie. bank statements payslips, processed by a third party.

Would make me uneasy thats for sure, and these are the only things i really ever get via the snail.
October 2, 2007 7:57:21 AM

"Runs the gambit" ???!? WTF?

How about you try a REAL expression that means something, such as "Runs the gamut". Don't you guys proofread this stuff before you post it?

That's like people that say "Cut the mustard." Which is a RETARDED derivation from "cut muster" which is a badly mangled derivation of "pass muster." Geez!

lol
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 2, 2007 10:23:51 PM

I have two problems with this:

1) Same as the above poster. This is not good for sensitive info, which is pretty much the only stuff sent by snail mail anymore anyways.

2) The main purpose of this, as I see it, is to cut down on paper usage. I can't see anybody actually caring about paper cuts or having to recycle it. I can see people using it to try and save a few trees, but USPS will print out the electronic message and mail it to the recipient and that other company still receives paper copies of all of your mail, so no paper is saved using either of these tools.
January 29, 2009 9:55:37 AM

gm0n3y, I'm using PostalMethods (www.postalmethods.com) which are HIPAA compliant meaning only machines are "reading" my letters until they reach the recipient.

Regarding saving trees, you are right, the letter is printed and an envelope is being used. However, PostalMethods prints the letter in the nearest location they have to the recipient and so saving damage caused by transporting the letter. It's not much - but it's something.
July 13, 2009 2:28:58 AM

http://snailmailr.com is another to consider - it's got a nice interface - you don't have to create an account, and you can get right to sending your letter ...

Re the paper: there are some people I want to communicate with that don't use email. I suppose they will eventually die off, but in the meantime - I want to drop my uncle a line from time to time ...

Looks like Snailmailr tries to address the problem by buying some 'carbon offset' credits - at least that's something.
October 21, 2011 8:55:05 AM

I think postal mail is gathering a cult following. It has now become a cool and trendy hobby.

I am a member of Global Penfriends.. they have penpals all over the world that correspond by the written letter. They also offer a service to print, stamp and send letters to any of the penpals in their club.
November 10, 2011 9:41:15 AM

I never used snailmail.
!