Sign in with
Your question

Apple OSX Leopard: More Angry Customers

Last response: in Tom's Guide
October 24, 2007 11:35:51 AM

Apple's release of the OSX Leopard operating system brings back memories of the recent iPhone price reduction controversy. Is "iPhoning" customers a new policy at the company?

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/2007/10/24/apple_osx_leopard/index.html
October 24, 2007 12:38:08 PM

Ha I love it..all those Mac fanbois getting rogered by Apple...that's what you get for being a gimp and devoting your money to one company.
Even MS got it right by offering upgrades to vista for about 6 months before the consumer launch. (even though no one wants it now :)  )
October 24, 2007 12:58:16 PM

A free downgrade to Vista vs. an upgrade to leopard that you have to pay for.
October 24, 2007 1:20:47 PM

oldscotch said:
A free downgrade to Vista vs. an upgrade to leopard that you have to pay for.

It's only a downgrade if you have a crusty old computer, and I'm sure the Apple OS never crashes, gets viruses and your sh*t don't stink neither. :kaola: 
October 24, 2007 1:43:51 PM

Anyone with vista get a virus yet. I really don't think you Mac people can argue that till it happens. Anyway I say screw spending money, Ubuntu all the way. It's stabler than Microsoft (been running for 3 months without a restart) and it's free.
October 24, 2007 2:00:27 PM

"Apple's engineers appear to be right on the money with this new release", yet the headline reads "Apple OSX Leopard: More Angry Customers"?? Nice objective reporting!

Quote:
Ha I love it..all those Mac fanbois getting rogered by Apple...that's what you get for being a gimp and devoting your money to one company.

Come on, we've known for ages Leopard got pushed back to October. and the price, at $129 is at the very least, competitive with Vista. I don't see what the big deal is personally, I have both operating systems on my Macbook Pro.

October 24, 2007 2:15:00 PM

I know it's now good sport to kick Apple right now and deservedly so. They could have handled the iPhone PR a bit better. That said, I don't get where people's anger about the Leopard upgrade is coming from. Apple announced last Spring that Leopard would ship in October. They made absolutely no secret about that. I don't think people should complain about this issue. Five minutes on Apple's website (or a quick question to an Apple sales rep) would have let you know that when that OS upgrade was coming out. Besides, Apple isn't requiring you to upgrade. If it's working for you, then stick with it.

This situation is a bit different than Vista. MS announced that it wouldn't be available to customers until after Christmas. Instead of missing out on computer sales of people waiting during the Christmas holiday season, they decided to hand out the coupons.

October 24, 2007 2:50:49 PM

This is probably the worst article I've ever seen on THG. Can you list or quote one unhappy customer? I bought a new iMac in August, and never expected a free OS upgrade. In any case, Tiger is a great OS. I am free to walk into an Apple store and pay $130 for a new OS upgrade. As the article states, if I bought my iMac this month, I would get a free(ish) upgrade.
October 24, 2007 3:17:06 PM

I hate how people keep comparing things to the iphone fiasco. As far as I am concerned there was no fiasco, well not at least related to price. Does everyone scream foul when they buy an intel extreme processor for a high premium just to have it lowered two months later. People are just plain idiots. If you are on the bleeding edge of technology you are going to pay for it. Patience will save you a lot of money by choosing what to buy and when to buy it carefully.
October 24, 2007 3:19:57 PM

well, first off i will say that i am both a mac and pc user, so dont freak out and call me a fanboy. that said, i dont know why apple customers have come to expect that apple will give them rebates on EVERYTHING. why would you expect a handout from apple if you purchased a mac in august (which i did)? apple had not announced the release date then, it wasnt out yet, steve didnt personally promise you a free upgrade... so why is everyone complaining. for $130 i will probably just upgrade, its not like your paying $400 for vista.
October 24, 2007 3:48:03 PM

I also own both Mac's and PC's. I think Apple is really hurting their core enthusiast customer's with their cut-throat policy's. Anyone who bought the new line of Mac's recently released should get a free upgrade (period). People constantly accuse Microsoft of being greedy but Apple is exponentially worse in my opinion. They already jack up the prices on almost everything they sell. I'm glad to see the upgrade cost's less than $200 but so does Vista. In fact... I got a vista home premium copy for free. I love vista, no viruses, no crashes, no problems at all. I love tiger too, but if you think Mac's don't have viruses (think again) if you don't believe me I can send you one. Mac's are (prime) targets for hackers in my opinion since the user base is increasing, and mac users are careless with their security, because they are under the false impression that macs are virus free. I would also argue that leopard SHOULD be a lot cheaper than Vista. (Which it isn't) Apple only had to make their operating system compatible with Apple computers. Vista has to be compatible with millions of configurations. The complexity of this is mind boggling to me.
October 24, 2007 5:17:50 PM

"Does Steve Jobs have some secret business vision that none of us can comprehend, or has he just reached the point of being so successful that he's taking his most devoted customers for granted? Only time will give us the answer to that one, but in my opinion, it's the latter."

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Steve Jobs' "secret business vision" is not very secret, nor very hard to comprehend. It's called making a profit, which Apple is doing better than most computer makers right now. As far as taking his most devoted customers for granted...what a bunch of hooey. Anyone who has been one of Apple's "most devoted customers" has seen this before, knew it was coming, and is not one bit surprised or upset. And really, $130 for a complete operating system, with all the bells and whistles, and no activation process, is a steal when compared with Vista. Apple is offering a very inexpensive upgrade for anyone who bought a computer this month, which is a longer period of time than most retailers' return policies. I just don't understand what there is to be outraged about.
October 24, 2007 6:19:54 PM

noahjwhite said:
I also own both Mac's and PC's. I think Apple is really hurting their core enthusiast customer's (read: techno snobs) with their cut-throat policy's. Anyone who bought the new line of Mac's recently released should get a free upgrade (period). WHY? Why should they give you a free technology upgrade? I wouldn't. People constantly accuse Microsoft of being greedy but Apple is exponentially worse in my opinion. They already jack up the prices on almost everything they sell. ] If people are dumb enough to pay for the snob appeal....I would run the same buisness model. I'm glad to see the upgrade cost's less than $200 but so does Vista. In fact... I got a vista home premium copy for free. I love vista, no viruses, no crashes, no problems at all. I love tiger too, but if you think Mac's don't have viruses (think again) if you don't believe me I can send you one.

I think the big problem is the y'ers and millenial's sense of entitlement and hyperconsumerism, not Apple's buisness model.

October 24, 2007 6:22:52 PM

funkygmacman said:
I just don't understand what there is to be outraged about.

well the really funny thing is: its still OSX.

Yes its true mac fanboys!!! you have all been suckered. and its only $130???

this is the 6th "upgrade" to osx since it was originally released. that comes out to be $910 if you purchased every "upgrade". Vista doesnt sound so expensive anymore does it.

But of course the mac fanboys dont care!!! they are so loyal to steve!!! they will buy all apple stuff because they are tools!!!
October 24, 2007 7:16:25 PM

Yes it is funny watching the apple tools throw their money away. Why volunteer to get stevejobbed?

That said I will always hate micro$haft and billy weiner gates. Vista is a downgrade. More computer resources for the same or less performance? Less control of your computer because vista tells you what you can and can't do?

So glad I switched to Linux. Faster, better, and free. Also open source meaning I can trust it and know it doesn't contact the mothership.

apple and m$ fanboys are all tools.
October 24, 2007 7:28:26 PM

unfortunatally slyck, there are some things that linux just cant do. gaming and multimedia work for instance. and before you go and get all defensive...WINE is not the end all solution.

I personally dont buy windows at all, but it is necessary if you want to do something besides surf the internet and write a letter.
October 24, 2007 7:32:59 PM

You are correct skittle about the gaming. Actually I should have mentioned i keep a copy of XP on another drive. This is for games that don't run under wine. I don't game much though.

But that is all I need it for, games. Hoping that will change.

Windows was not stable for me even for just web browsing or running regular programs. And the difference in multitasking ability is something else. They running multiple programs in XP vs Ubuntu. Ubuntu stays responsive for me, XP does not. Don't know about Vista.

I mostly wrote because I don't understand how people pay hundreds of dollars for these OS's when for many it is unnecessary. Peace.
October 24, 2007 8:21:41 PM

I would love for Toms Hardware to stop talking about Apple anything. If I wanted to read Mac news, rumors, etc I would go to ilovestevejobsandallhismacsandipods.com or some other Apple related site. Please go back to writing about the stuff I originally started reading your site for. Thanks.
October 24, 2007 11:43:58 PM

What about Microsoft "Iphoning" us PC users?
I'm sure all of us who bought Vista Capable PCs got jipped after the OS launch.

Hell MS forces you to buy Vista if you want to run any app with DX10.
Besides, Leopard can run on anything from the past 5 years, Other than special features, Tiger runs just as well and is far from being outdated. Heck even panther is sufficient enough for standard OS needs.

and yea, A $130 full featured os, vs a $400 one? and whats with MS releasing a gazillion micro bundles of their OS? at least with Leopard you get a full complete version (not an upgrade disk, or a disabled features version) of an OS that already comes packed with more tools and apps than Vista.
October 25, 2007 12:01:17 AM

First off, anyone who bothered to ask/check, knew not to expect a free upgrade. Apple generally only gives a free upgrade to a new release for people who purchased in the last 15-30 days and they've said for 6 months that Leopard would be released in Oct. It's well known and established, so anyone who is surprised didn't bother to do any research or ask any questions.

Second, it's $129 for the full version, complete with all the updated applications. Need to upgrade 2-5 machines? Family pack is $199. How much is an upgrade to Vista?
Vista Home Basic upgrade = $99.95 (useless)
Vista Home Premium upgrade = $149.95
Vista Business upgrade = $159.95
Vista Ultimate upgrade = $259.95
Vista Ultimate Limited "Signature Edition" upgrade $319.95

Don't forget, the "Home" versions can't be used on most business networks, while Mac OS X can. Home Basic is nearly useless, so much so that I've never seen a machine running anything below Home Premium.

How about upgrades for the comparable applications that are included in Mac OS X? How much more do they cost?

How about upgrades to third party applications? Looks like most third party applications are either already compatible with Leopard, or are compatible with a free upgrade. Can you say the same about Vista?

Family pack for Vista? Not available, but you can buy additional upgrade licenses for $10 less than the above prices (at least for Home Basic, haven't actually seen availability on the others).

As for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) "still (being) OS X", that's like saying Windows Vista is "still NT 4". Sure, it's still called OS X, and it's still based upon the Unix core that was Mac OS X 10.0, but in both cases, so much of the underlying kernel, API, functionality, and applications have been completely redesigned and rewritten that it's absurd to make such a statement. Leopard is based upon (or derived from) 10.0, just as Vista is based upon (or derived from) NT 4.

Retraining costs? Leopard has added many enhancements to the user interface, but the way you install applications, access applications and files, and configure the system hasn't materially changed. You do have new options that may make it faster/easier than before, but nearly everything you learned for earlier versions still works resulting in little or no retraining cost. How much does it cost to retrain yourself and/or your users and support personnel to move from W2k/XP to Vista?

This is the 5th upgrade to OS X since it first shipped, but 10.1 was free, so it's only the 4th paid upgrade. $129 * 4 = $516 if you purchased all versions. But that's not possible, because no machine that shipped with 10.0/10.1 will run Leopard, so at most you've purchased 3 upgrades (machine came with 10.2, paid for 10.3, 10.4, &10.5). $129 * 3 = $387 maximum, if you bought each upgrade. Very few machines that shipped with 10.2 will run Leopard, so in reality, you've paid $129 * 2 = $258 maximum. In the same time-frame, Windows went from W2k/ME to XP to Vista. How much are those upgrades combined? Don't forget to add all the upgrades to applications and the retraining costs.

Which upgrade costs less overall? You can do the math, but it's clearly Mac OS X.

As for the free ($10) Vista upgrades the OEMs were offering for 3-6 months before Vista was released. I was supposed to get one with the Dell I purchased in January. Guess what, the link for the web page to download the order form was only shown BEFORE you make your purchase. There was no information about the upgrade included with the machine, nor in the confirmation email. I did find the link by googling for it, but that was in April and the form had to be postmarked by March 31, 2007. So much for the free upgrade. At least Apple's upfront about it.

Then there is Windows Genuine Advantage/Microsoft Product Activation. MS makes a mistake on their activation servers and hundreds of thousands of users machines are crippled for 18+ hours. It happened once already and it can (and likely will) happen again. Enjoy.

For those few of you who actually presented thoughtful viewpoints or comments (for or against) Windows and Mac OS X, thank you.

Geoff (Mac OS X and Windows user/consultant/developer) Strickler

The following is for the flamers/trolls/MS-fanboys only, everyone else can ignore it:

If money is an indicator, who are the "fanboys", those upgrading Windows or those upgrading OS X? Who are the one's "getting rogered" or "screwed"? Who are the ones "devoting all your money to one company"? I must be responding to a troll (or in the case of this forum, multiple trolls), who probably pirated all their MS software anyway so their not giving any company their money.

For the rest of the flamers/trolls/MS fanboys, get a life. You might actually want to try out OS X and/or do some research and get your facts straight before you start spouting nonsense.

Don't bother trying to spam or flame me, I'll probably never see your garbage. If by chance something does get through, I won't read it and I won't respond (but I may send it to the authorities).
October 25, 2007 1:35:54 AM

Since you cant install MacOSX on anything but a MAC (thats right aint it?) then in effect all the operating systems sold are upgrades. The price being asked seems very high for an upgrade. How much of the code of Leopard is really different to Tiger and how much labour has really gone in to the upgrade?
The price being asked by Apple for an upgrade looks like more than 50% of the price MS is asking for a full retail version of Vista (that can be installed on any number of PC's). When you factor in that MS does not get any profit from sales of hardware, that Apples operating system is based on free software that they did not write (FereeBSD, Mach, Safari, etc) then Apples price looks to me very high.
But then I guess of the punters will cough it up, why not charge it?
October 25, 2007 2:01:57 AM

skittle said:
unfortunatally slyck, there are some things that linux just cant do. gaming and multimedia work for instance. and before you go and get all defensive...WINE is not the end all solution.

I personally dont buy windows at all, but it is necessary if you want to do something besides surf the internet and write a letter.

Substantially correct I think. Although Linux can do some other things well too, such as audio recording/editing, etc.
October 25, 2007 2:05:22 AM

I would bet that MS does make money off hardware. Because of their crooked deals with PC retailers such as Dell, Gateway etc... It is a good guess that Dell, etc... pay M$ a fixed price for every computer sold whether it has winblows installed or not. Dell actually sells Ubuntu OS PCs for more than the cost of windoze machines. Talk about a ripoff! I look forward to the day that proprietary OS's are gone along with their monopolistic pushers.
October 25, 2007 2:11:30 AM

Apple didn't offer me a free upgrade to Leopard when I was looking at buying a mac .. so did I scream and carry on and put pins in a Steve Jobs voodoo doll .. nope .. I waited until the announcement was made.

October 25, 2007 2:13:14 AM

Looks like vista IMO.

slyck said:
Vista is a downgrade.

:lol:  :pfff: 
October 25, 2007 2:46:50 AM

wymer100 said:
Apple announced last Spring that Leopard would ship in October. They made absolutely no secret about that.

Exactly. That's why people buying in August or September thought they would get a freebie or a price break.

Phanboy said:
This is probably the worst article I've ever seen on THG. Can you list or quote one unhappy customer?

Yes, as a member of Apple's forums, I could. Except that every complaint posted on Apple's Leopard Forum is promptly deleted. But, praise from those that purchased after October 1st is not deleted. Coincidence, I'm sure...
October 25, 2007 4:08:49 AM

Everybody knows that's how Apple operates (at least in Australia). Ever gone into a Apple Dealer and ask for your best price? They don't deal, they lost 3 Generations of my family, in 92,93 when Apple Mac's were! clearly better, my father cashed up did his study then went to the Apple shop and said what's your best price for cash?
They weren't interested in dealing so he went down the road bought a IBM compatible and accessories with change to spare, then he went back to the Apple shop and told them they had lost a sale. To save money so we could share software, about 100 plus family members followed suit. :) 
That's a stupid greedy policy. :pt1cable: 
That's ultimately why Apple will never compete head to head cause theres heaps of people who are always after a good deal. :non: 
October 25, 2007 6:12:24 AM

Hee hee hee.... (laughs the Windows gamer and Linux user)
October 25, 2007 3:13:48 PM

I recently just tried switching to ubuntu to give it a chance and figured I would run the few things I needed through Wine/crossover. That part worked fine but it was the driver for my 2900xt that I could never get working. After trying 6 different methods of a lot of commands that I did not understand including the ubuntu built in one that it tells you about after the install I decided to switch back. I use te Windows command prompt all the time so am not against comand line. Thats why I though ubuntu would be a good fit as it has gui and then I can learn the command line as I go. Oh well back to Vista which has worked great for me for over a year.
October 25, 2007 5:27:56 PM

Uhh - I don't know what the big deal is?

Why are apple users always so damn whiney. See, we in the PC world get a$$ raped all the time without ANY post-sale incentives! You know what we do before we buy a something? Research a product's roadmap prior purchase and avoid this altogether!

You paid a premium to use (not even productively) a new OS - get over it.

Just take your crappy mac and keep acting like you're doing something productive at Starbucks.

And why the hell does Linux always always sneaks in a Mac vs. Windows discussion?
October 25, 2007 5:50:56 PM

Well iPhoning may be a new thing, but poorly-investigated stories by people that hope to flame Apple fans and sell a few more ads is an age-old Internet phenomenon. Hah!

"Tony Celeste", if that is your name, Apple has ALWAYS had this policy with product releases and upgrades. On a few occasions Apple has given a coupon discount for the upgrade, particularly when buying the products after the new update has been released, but two months? Never in the company's history have they given a discount over such a long period of time. In retail, the time period for a rebate on a product that receives a price cut shortly after is two weeks. Not two months, not even one month, but two weeks.

If you had bothered asking Apple watchers, or historians, you would have learned this in time to save face. Are you applying to Fox News to be an anchor by chance? You have the only necessary quality that Fox requires, you should consider it.
October 25, 2007 5:57:45 PM

As a brand new Apple customer in August it certainly has been an interesting few months. Being a Windows user for years I decided to make a switch. In the past 3 months since I got my MacBook Pro they have TWICE taken the "sketchy" road. No denying that.

Lets not forget Apple in a sense has done it the themselves constantly portraying themselves as the "friendly" company to Microsoft. Sure technology is an ever evolving business, but of all companies... you might expect Apple not to exploit this. Without getting into it too much... I don't see how some can have such an issue with the possibility of Steve Jobs building on Apple's momentum and now taking advantage of the loyal customers. This is the exact image that Apple tries to stick to Microsoft (commercials anyone?) while making themselves appear the non-evil company.

October 25, 2007 6:31:20 PM

They should have stuck with POWER architecture. Why waste thousands of power programmers' skills? Bad move on that one, more bugs /etc.
October 25, 2007 7:16:24 PM

They left Power because the PPC prcessors got left behind in the AMD vs Intel battle for supremacy. When they 1st switched they were claiming up to 4 times the PPC performance.

I've been a Windows user since 1993 and I also have Vista on both my Macs. To be honest, both Macs run Windows better and smoother than any Windows PC I've ever had. Just about every new feature Vista has introduced, OSX had with Tiger's release over 2 years ago. Leopard's features are going to leave Vista's in the dust, sorry: http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

Quote:
Why are apple users always so damn whiney. See, we in the PC world get a$$ raped all the time without ANY post-sale incentives! You know what we do before we buy a something? Research a product's roadmap prior purchase and avoid this altogether!

I don't see any Apple users whining. We were told Leopard's release was in October way back in April, anyone that didn't listen was probably a new buyer. The guy that wrote the article is a PC user.

October 25, 2007 9:14:36 PM

This article was obviously written to appeal to those who think they're entitled to a free ride throughout life, and everybody owes them something just because they spent some money somewhere. When you make a decision to purchase a product, you do so because you obviously think that product is worth what you're about to pay for it; if you don't think so, then you're awfully stupid and should be ashamed to admit it. There is no guarantee that you're somehow entitled to a better, or newer, version of that vendor's product just because it came out shortly after you made the decision. In Apple's case, they had the right to make the decision to cut off the free update discs to October, because it's been widely known that October was the month they were going to release Leopard.

The same thing applies to those who wined about the iPhone's price drop. When they stood in line to buy one early, those people obviously thought it was worth $599 to be an early adopter, and they're most certainly also cognizant of the fact that early adopters always pay more for new technology, and for stroking their egos so they can be the first on the block to have the latest gadget. That's the way it works, period.

Unfortunately, there are always those who will attempt to take advantage of someone, and want some cheese with their whine. For those, I would suggest calling a Waaaaaaaaaambulance! Get over it, folks!
October 25, 2007 10:54:03 PM

Apple folks just have smaller brains... That why they buy their childish products in the first place. Geoff above is a good example he couldn't find the $10 upgrade offer. I on the other hand a non-apple guy had no problem finding it, and not just on Dell's site but Lenovo's as well.

And to inthere sorry for the update but tiger interface was actually "inspired" from the Longhorn demo which predates tiger by 2 years but then again revisionism is popular these days so you get a pass. Also Apple did tweak it and bring it to market first, even if the idea was hi-jacked. It's cool in a Sponge Bob square pant kind of way...

More importantly when is Apple going to pay back the money the borrowed from us. Us US. tax payers paid millions of dollars to keep them from going under.
October 25, 2007 11:19:45 PM

neosoul I have an even better question. Why the hell does Fox News always get mentioned in these OS debates?
October 25, 2007 11:23:22 PM

If Steve Jobs was as smart as I am he would do what all retailers do on sales day. Jack up the price $10-$20, then give all current Tiger users $10-$20 off and let them think they saved something!
October 26, 2007 12:59:34 AM

bydesign said:
Apple folks just have smaller brains... That why they buy their childish products in the first place.

Most graphic and music professionals prefer Apple computers, I'm one and that's why I switched to Mac for compatibility. It's also a bonus that Macs run Windows natively.

bydesign said:
to inthere sorry for the update but tiger interface was actually "inspired" from the Longhorn demo which predates tiger by 2 years but then again revisionism is popular these days so you get a pass. Also Apple did tweak it and bring it to market first, even if the idea was hi-jacked. It's cool in a Sponge Bob square pant kind of way...

Speaking of hi-jacked ideas, Windows itself was a ripoff of Apple's GUI in the 1st place, so it's all good. Windows can have some beta with all of Leopards features now, but we probably won't see them for another 5 years. I'll buy Leopard and enjoy them now.

October 26, 2007 1:55:57 AM

Is it unfair? maybe
Are people going to be mad? yes
However, just compare the price of the 5 user license pack for Leopard vs. Vista Business/Ultimate/etc. Leopard gives 5 licenses for a very reasonable price point. Technology moves too fast to make this a fair situation for everyone. I'm sure most of you remember Business 101 in school - the number one reason companies are in business is to make money. Everyone will forget about the price in a matter of weeks.
October 26, 2007 5:26:09 AM

This is what you call "being grifted".

The funny thing is that I doubt you'll hear any mac users complaining. They like having the privilege of being bent over by Steve Jobs. They see it as an honor and brag that it just means that it's 'better than Vista'.

At this point, that's all it really boils down to. Because, if they were being honest with themselves, even they would have to admit new Mac hardware owners should get SOME kind of discount at the very least.

LOL.
October 26, 2007 11:08:53 AM

369671,35,85702 said:
They left Power because the PPC prcessors got left behind in the AMD vs Intel battle for supremacy. When they 1st switched they were claiming up to 4 times the PPC performance.

I've been a Windows user since 1993 and I also have Vista on both my Macs. To be honest, both Macs run Windows better and smoother than any Windows PC I've ever had. Just about every new feature Vista has introduced, OSX had with Tiger's release over 2 years ago. Leopard's features are going to leave Vista's in the dust, sorry: http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

Quote:

I don't see any Apple users whining. We were told Leopard's release was in October way back in April, anyone that didn't listen was probably a new buyer. The guy that wrote the article is a PC user./quotemsg]

AMEN!
October 26, 2007 1:01:25 PM

Hold up, so a company is trying to make money? All this time I thought apple was a charity giving stuff away. Apple is an expensive company to get anything from, get used to it.
October 26, 2007 2:40:08 PM

"...will get OSX Leopard for free, less a small ($9.95) service charge." My, my. I see the words "free" and "service charge" in the same sentence. Sounds like one more oxymoron to me.
October 26, 2007 11:54:47 PM

inthere said:
Most graphic and music professionals prefer Apple computers...

You must have a real life version of Apple's Time Machine, because that hasnt been true since 1998, maybe earlier.
October 29, 2007 1:03:49 PM

Well, it's true in my case. Out of the 23 people I work with on a regular basis, 21 are on Macs, which is why I switched. Now I'm not saying Windows is an inferior platform for graphics and music, in fact, I've had fewer compatibility problems with Windows than Mac OSX as far as plugins are concerned.

I'm just saying that every time I meet someone in the industry, they're usually using Macs.
October 29, 2007 10:51:49 PM

5 user license pack. That's just a good marketing ploy, my guess is only about 5 to 10% of MAC users will ever use all 5 licenses.
Just like Microsoft Office 2007 Academic packs, they have up to 3 machine licenses. When I mention that to my customers (and we have sold a few) Most say "I've only got 1 machine"
It's a safe bet!
November 2, 2007 3:02:15 PM

I also own both Mac's and PC's. I think Apple is really hurting their core enthusiast customer's with their cut-throat policy's. Anyone who bought the new line of Mac's recently released should get a free upgrade (period). People constantly accuse Microsoft of being greedy but Apple is exponentially worse in my opinion. They already jack up the prices on almost everything they sell. I'm glad to see the upgrade cost's less than $200 but so does Vista. In fact... I got a vista home premium copy for free. I love vista, no viruses, no crashes, no problems at all. I love tiger too, but if you think Mac's don't have viruses (think again) if you don't believe me I can send you one. Mac's are (prime) targets for hackers in my opinion since the user base is increasing, and mac users are careless with their security, because they are under the false impression that macs are virus free. I would also argue that leopard SHOULD be a lot cheaper than Vista. (Which it isn't) Apple only had to make their operating system compatible with Apple computers. Vista has to be compatible with millions of configurations. The complexity of this is mind boggling to me.
November 4, 2007 12:03:07 PM

pmr said:
369671,35,85702 said:

Quote:

I don't see any Apple users whining. We were told Leopard's release was in October way back in April, anyone that didn't listen was probably a new buyer. The guy that wrote the article is a PC user./quotemsg]

AMEN!
said:

you don't see any because of censorship! Apple deletes anything negative about their products. :pt1cable: 

Not only are apples users snobs, but with this new information appear to be naive and gullible.

But it's ok sit back listen to some itunes on your iphone and watch some ivideo on your imac... wouldn't want to stress you out with a Leopard BSOD let alone another $130 bill for your newly paid for imac.
!