Change logical drive

July 13, 2005 12:07:23 PM

Hi,

My Maxtor hard drive broke in my Sony VAIO desktop. I pulled a hard
drive (ONLY 1.5 GB) from my old PC, mounted to VAIO, and installed
Windows XP Professional while I'm waiting for new hard drive to arrive.

When my new hard drive arrived, I replaced this one with the broken
one. I kept the jumper (plastic cover)as it is on my new hard drive,
and removed the jumper on my temp. hard drive. After installing XP on
the new hard drive, the system thinks I have two XP, which is fine.

However, the system treated my XP of my bigger/new hard drive as
logical drive F. The temp. hard drive as C and followed by DVD and CD
drive. Is there an easy way to make my new hard drive as C drive? I
ordered the hard drive from web and there is no instruction on jumper
setting. I tried some combination of jumper setting witout luck. Should
I unplug my temp. hard drive and install XP again?

Thanks,

Andrew

More about : change logical drive

July 13, 2005 12:44:51 PM

andyho99 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My Maxtor hard drive broke in my Sony VAIO desktop. I pulled a hard
> drive (ONLY 1.5 GB) from my old PC, mounted to VAIO, and installed
> Windows XP Professional while I'm waiting for new hard drive to arrive.
>

> When my new hard drive arrived, I replaced this one with the broken
> one. I kept the jumper (plastic cover)as it is on my new hard drive,
> and removed the jumper on my temp. hard drive. After installing XP on
> the new hard drive, the system thinks I have two XP, which is fine.
>
> However, the system treated my XP of my bigger/new hard drive as
> logical drive F. The temp. hard drive as C and followed by DVD and CD
> drive. Is there an easy way to make my new hard drive as C drive? I
> ordered the hard drive from web and there is no instruction on jumper
> setting. I tried some combination of jumper setting witout luck. Should
> I unplug my temp. hard drive and install XP again?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

The reason it assigned F to the new drive is because you booted up with
both the old drive and new drive installed. Now there is no way to
change this other than by removing the old drive and installing XP as a
clean install on the new drive. It's odd the drive didn't come with
documentation of some form, floppy, CD with a readme or *.pdf file to
explain the jumper settings. Go to the drive manufacturer's web site
for this info.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

You can do that.

let me make it clear what i understand, now you have a C drive (your
temprorary 1.5GB HDD) and a F drive ( your new drive from internet).
you want to assign the new drive the letter C and forget about F drive ?

if yes, then boot from your F drive. go to Computer Management in Control
Panel --> Administrative Tools.
Once there, go to Disk Management, and right click on Lower half of Right
hand side ... (the one with lines across it and Drive Size and File System
Information)
select C drive and right click, select change drive letter. and now change
it to whatever you want except c. Restart your machine.

now repeat the same procedure for your F drive and this time assign it
letter C and restart your machine. now u have your laptop's new drive as C.

you can also remove the link to the External hard drive's OS so it wouldnt
show you 2 options in the beginning asking for what option you want.

let me know how it worked !

Hasaan

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o i7MTH8hFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> andyho99 wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My Maxtor hard drive broke in my Sony VAIO desktop. I pulled a hard
>> drive (ONLY 1.5 GB) from my old PC, mounted to VAIO, and installed
>> Windows XP Professional while I'm waiting for new hard drive to arrive.
>>

>> When my new hard drive arrived, I replaced this one with the broken
>> one. I kept the jumper (plastic cover)as it is on my new hard drive,
>> and removed the jumper on my temp. hard drive. After installing XP on
>> the new hard drive, the system thinks I have two XP, which is fine.
>>
>> However, the system treated my XP of my bigger/new hard drive as
>> logical drive F. The temp. hard drive as C and followed by DVD and CD
>> drive. Is there an easy way to make my new hard drive as C drive? I
>> ordered the hard drive from web and there is no instruction on jumper
>> setting. I tried some combination of jumper setting witout luck. Should
>> I unplug my temp. hard drive and install XP again?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> The reason it assigned F to the new drive is because you booted up with
> both the old drive and new drive installed. Now there is no way to change
> this other than by removing the old drive and installing XP as a clean
> install on the new drive. It's odd the drive didn't come with
> documentation of some form, floppy, CD with a readme or *.pdf file to
> explain the jumper settings. Go to the drive manufacturer's web site for
> this info.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 13, 2005 4:53:58 PM

In news:o FKei28hFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Macho Man <NOSPAM_h.b@usask.ca_NOSPAM> typed:

> You can do that.

Sorry, but no he can't. See below.

> let me make it clear what i understand, now you have a C drive
> (your
> temprorary 1.5GB HDD) and a F drive ( your new drive from
> internet).
> you want to assign the new drive the letter C and forget about
> drive ?
> if yes, then boot from your F drive. go to Computer Management
> in
> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools.

You can change any drive letter there, except for the one Windows
is installed on.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> [...]
>>> drive? I ordered the hard drive from web and there is no
>>> instruction on jumper setting. I tried some combination of
>>> jumper
>>> setting witout luck. Should I unplug my temp. hard drive and
>>> install XP again? Thanks,
>>>
>>> Andrew
>>>

>> The reason it assigned F to the new drive is because you
>> booted up
>> with both the old drive and new drive installed. Now there is
>> no
>> way to change this other than by removing the old drive and
>> installing XP as a clean install on the new drive. It's odd
>> the
>> drive didn't come with documentation of some form, floppy, CD
>> with a
>> readme or *.pdf file to explain the jumper settings. Go to
>> the
>> drive manufacturer's web site for this info.

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:00:46 PM

Thanks you all for your advice. I did find jumper setting instructions
on the manufacturer (Western Digital) web site yesterday. Both the
drived are made by WD. I'm going to try to use Administrative Tools to
change logical drive name. If it does not work, I'll follow Rock's
advice. I got my hard drive in a sealed plastic bag without any
document (not even with order item). I hope this is a new one. Most of
online retailer would specify the item is new or refurnished. I didn't
see anything like that when I ordered from katroindustries.com. I'll
post my results later. Thanks. Andrew
July 14, 2005 3:20:54 PM

andyho99 wrote:

> Thanks you all for your advice. I did find jumper setting instructions
> on the manufacturer (Western Digital) web site yesterday. Both the
> drived are made by WD. I'm going to try to use Administrative Tools to
> change logical drive name. If it does not work, I'll follow Rock's
> advice. I got my hard drive in a sealed plastic bag without any
> document (not even with order item). I hope this is a new one. Most of
> online retailer would specify the item is new or refurnished. I didn't
> see anything like that when I ordered from katroindustries.com. I'll
> post my results later. Thanks. Andrew

Ok good luck and post back with the outcome.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

It wouldn't allow me to change the drive name from Administrative
Tools. I just followed the manufacturer's web site to set up the
jumpers (one master, one slave) and reinstalled XP. It treated my new
hard drive as C drive. And, there is a chance to let me partition
before install. I'd like OS in one logical drive and the other stuff in
another logical drive. All my problems have been resolved.

BTW, I'm trying develope a backup plan. I was spending a lot time to
recover files from my broken drive. Fortunately, I was able to recover
the stuff I wanted. Is the the backup tool in XP adequate? Andrew.
July 18, 2005 6:04:54 PM

andyho99 wrote:

> It wouldn't allow me to change the drive name from Administrative
> Tools. I just followed the manufacturer's web site to set up the
> jumpers (one master, one slave) and reinstalled XP. It treated my new
> hard drive as C drive. And, there is a chance to let me partition
> before install. I'd like OS in one logical drive and the other stuff in
> another logical drive. All my problems have been resolved.
>
> BTW, I'm trying develope a backup plan. I was spending a lot time to
> recover files from my broken drive. Fortunately, I was able to recover
> the stuff I wanted. Is the the backup tool in XP adequate? Andrew.

Thanks for posting back and glad you have it sorted. As to your
question on backup, ntbackup is a legacy app from NT, that runs best
with tape drives. It's also ok with network drives, or other
internal/external hard drives though saving a backup on a second
internal hard drive is not as safe as saving to external media.
Ntbackup can't backup to CD unless 3rd party CD burning software is
installed, and even then will only backup to a single CD, it can't span
CDs.

Better is a drive imaging program. This makes an exact image of the
partition which can be saved on CD/DVD or to another drive - internal or
external. [I recommend an external USB 2.0 hard drive.] Restores can
be done of the entire partition or individual files / folders. These
work well and make it easy to recover from a drive crash. Examples of
this are:

Norton Ghost 9.0
Drive Image 7 (still available in some places; the maker - Powerquest -
was bought out by Symantec and is now Norton Ghost 9 with some changes)
Acronis True Image
Terabyte Unlimited's Image for Windows
Terabyte Unlimited's BootIt Next Generation (BING)

Another option is a traditional backup program such as Stompsoft's
Backup My PC. This is an excellent tool. It is the evolution of
ntbackup. There are other good backup programs out there as well. This
can do a complete backup or backup individual files and folders to
DVD/CD and other drives.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks for your advice.

Just like to share some of my experience to recover from a failure
drive. Hopefully, it'll save you some time should you need it.

First of all, have a good backup plan so that you can recover your data
easily. See previous posting for suggestions. In my case, I couldn't
boot my Sony VAIO desktop. I saw something like "Smart failure
....". The next step is to find a way to boot the PC and SEE the hard
drive. I think the easiest way is to use your original Windows CD to
boot. You'll have a chance to go to Repair Console. You may run
chkdsk with repair option. You may solve the problem if you're lucky.
In my case, it said "it's not recoverable". And, I could not SEE
anything on C drive.

The easiest way would be to get a second drive, install Window, and
boot from there. Then, you may see your original hard drive again. In
my case, I still only see one logical drive (D drive) but not C drive
from my original hard drive. I've moved all my stuff to D drive but
not my wife's stuff (her stuff is more important. She kept her
client's data in C drive). And all the pictures were in "My
Pictures" under C drive. Actually, you may change this setting. Just
right click "My Documents", choose Property, and change the
location (other than C drive).

You may try freeware to recover. However, I found the tool
"GETDATABACK" could serve my need. This is not freeware. I think
the price is okay. Of course, there are many software are available.
Hopefully, this is helpful for people have similar problem. BTW, the
original hard drive died finally. I could hear grinding noise when pc
was booting.

Andrew
!