Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What can cause computer to reboot while burning or even re..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:26:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have observed this since i had my PC, while burning a CD, my computer
would suddenly restart as is the reset button had been pushed,
sometimes even while reading a CD (even tho i havent observed this in a
while) and even sometimes as soon as i was in the BIOS (that was quite
unconvenient for trying to reinstall Windows I admitt)

The problem is that, since that problem appeared (that's indeed since
i've had this homemade PC), i changed the CPU, the motherboard, the
burner, the alimentation, the RAM, the graphical card, the modem, i
mean, everything besides the floppy disk reader thing, i also installed
another Windows XP (SP1 indeed, even tho it was badly burnt so whenever
i install it there is dll's that won't be installed) and in spite of
all these changes, i still get those reboots while burning, and that's
quite annoying mostly that it kills your CD's.

so what can it be due to? i'd really appreciate an answer from anyone
who might have one, cuz i've had this problem for 2 years now and now
that i'm getting out of room on my hard disk and need to back up lots
of things on CD's, i'm in trouble, so thanks in advance
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:52:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You didn't mention the Power Supply.........an 'under rated' or failing PS
can cause the issues you mentioned. Over heating can cause this, as well,
but, I would rule that out since your problem has happened at boot (not
enough time to overheat, unless your cpu fan is not operating or the heat
sink was not properly applied).
Also, the following Google results may be of help:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Me+random+restarts...
I think you will find that most of the results will point toward the PS or
heat sink on the cpu.......
Heirloom, old and needs to restart


"CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
news:1121268367.636158.166880@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>I have observed this since i had my PC, while burning a CD, my computer
> would suddenly restart as is the reset button had been pushed,
> sometimes even while reading a CD (even tho i havent observed this in a
> while) and even sometimes as soon as i was in the BIOS (that was quite
> unconvenient for trying to reinstall Windows I admitt)
>
> The problem is that, since that problem appeared (that's indeed since
> i've had this homemade PC), i changed the CPU, the motherboard, the
> burner, the alimentation, the RAM, the graphical card, the modem, i
> mean, everything besides the floppy disk reader thing, i also installed
> another Windows XP (SP1 indeed, even tho it was badly burnt so whenever
> i install it there is dll's that won't be installed) and in spite of
> all these changes, i still get those reboots while burning, and that's
> quite annoying mostly that it kills your CD's.
>
> so what can it be due to? i'd really appreciate an answer from anyone
> who might have one, cuz i've had this problem for 2 years now and now
> that i'm getting out of room on my hard disk and need to back up lots
> of things on CD's, i'm in trouble, so thanks in advance
>
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 11:14:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote:

>I have observed this since i had my PC, while burning a CD, my computer
>would suddenly restart as is the reset button had been pushed,
>sometimes even while reading a CD (even tho i havent observed this in a
>while) and even sometimes as soon as i was in the BIOS (that was quite
>unconvenient for trying to reinstall Windows I admitt)
>

Do you have the "restart on failure" option enabled? Check this by
opening Control Panel - System - Advanced and clicking on the Settings
button in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. If the checkbox
for "automatically restart" is selected then click on it to clear it.
Click on Apply and OK as needed to exit.

You can also check into the cause of previous restarts. Right-click
on "My Computer" and select Manage. Expand the Event Viewer category
(click on the +) and then browse through each of the 3 subcategories
looking for red-flagged error records whose date and time stamps
correspond to your restarts. Double-click on an error record to see
the details of that error.

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Related resources
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 9:07:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> Do you have the "restart on failure" option enabled? Check this by
> opening Control Panel - System - Advanced and clicking on the Settings
> button in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. If the checkbox
> for "automatically restart" is selected then click on it to clear it.
> Click on Apply and OK as needed to exit.

yes it was checked, and i just unchecked it. well you can understand
that i'm not very willing to try to burn a CD again, but i've turned it
off in the past and i dont remember weather it stillw as rebooting
instantly or if it was causing a blue screen with code 0x77 on it

> You can also check into the cause of previous restarts. Right-click
> on "My Computer" and select Manage. Expand the Event Viewer category
> (click on the +) and then browse through each of the 3 subcategories
> looking for red-flagged error records whose date and time stamps
> correspond to your restarts. Double-click on an error record to see
> the details of that error.

havent checked for last times it happens,cuz i dont remember the time,
but, usually, there is no entry anywhere matching the error, just
sometimes it says before that some IMAPI service is being started. i
tried desactivating that service, but it didnt change anything. still
cant lead to an explanation to how it coul do that by reading a CD in
the BIOS...
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 1:10:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote:


>
>havent checked for last times it happens,cuz i dont remember the time,
>but, usually, there is no entry anywhere matching the error, just
>sometimes it says before that some IMAPI service is being started. i
>tried desactivating that service, but it didnt change anything. still
>cant lead to an explanation to how it coul do that by reading a CD in
>the BIOS...

That is why it is so important to get the full details of the actual
error messages that are produced by Windows. It is only by checking
out those details that you can identify what is causing the problem.

Some of the conflicts that arise between application programs, device
drivers, and Windows components have end results that appear quite
incongruous, at least until you identify the underlying cause.


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:16:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

well, i recreated that read-CD-in-BIOS-and-crash thing. i put a CD in
the player when starting the computer, and as soon as it displayed
"Boot from CD :" it reboots. then i did some tests, so i can conclude
this :

-my problem is OS independant (since it happens even in the BIOS)
-none of my two RAMs are involved (i tried takin one of then the other,
and still had the problem)
-it's motherboard-independant (had the same problem with my MSI as with
my ASUS)
-it's CPU-independant (changed of CPU an had the same problem)

now, i'm not sure, but it seems that when the player/burner is runnin
at low speed (like 8x) it hardly ever crashes, as it seems that its
when it reaches which speed (like 52x) that it crashes.

knowing all that, i still cant conclude to how to fix such a problem

Ron Martell wrote:
> "CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
>
> >
> >havent checked for last times it happens,cuz i dont remember the time,
> >but, usually, there is no entry anywhere matching the error, just
> >sometimes it says before that some IMAPI service is being started. i
> >tried desactivating that service, but it didnt change anything. still
> >cant lead to an explanation to how it coul do that by reading a CD in
> >the BIOS...
>
> That is why it is so important to get the full details of the actual
> error messages that are produced by Windows. It is only by checking
> out those details that you can identify what is causing the problem.
>
> Some of the conflicts that arise between application programs, device
> drivers, and Windows components have end results that appear quite
> incongruous, at least until you identify the underlying cause.
>
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>
> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:25:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Check the Optical recorder's website for a Firmware Flash update.

"CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
news:1121440615.133580.112480@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> well, i recreated that read-CD-in-BIOS-and-crash thing. i put a CD in
> the player when starting the computer, and as soon as it displayed
> "Boot from CD :" it reboots. then i did some tests, so i can conclude
> this :
>
> -my problem is OS independant (since it happens even in the BIOS)
> -none of my two RAMs are involved (i tried takin one of then the other,
> and still had the problem)
> -it's motherboard-independant (had the same problem with my MSI as with
> my ASUS)
> -it's CPU-independant (changed of CPU an had the same problem)
>
> now, i'm not sure, but it seems that when the player/burner is runnin
> at low speed (like 8x) it hardly ever crashes, as it seems that its
> when it reaches which speed (like 52x) that it crashes.
>
> knowing all that, i still cant conclude to how to fix such a problem
>
> Ron Martell wrote:
>> "CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>>
>>
>> >
>> >havent checked for last times it happens,cuz i dont remember the time,
>> >but, usually, there is no entry anywhere matching the error, just
>> >sometimes it says before that some IMAPI service is being started. i
>> >tried desactivating that service, but it didnt change anything. still
>> >cant lead to an explanation to how it coul do that by reading a CD in
>> >the BIOS...
>>
>> That is why it is so important to get the full details of the actual
>> error messages that are produced by Windows. It is only by checking
>> out those details that you can identify what is causing the problem.
>>
>> Some of the conflicts that arise between application programs, device
>> drivers, and Windows components have end results that appear quite
>> incongruous, at least until you identify the underlying cause.
>>
>>
>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
>
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:36:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

just did it and it didn't change anything. we also gotta remember that
I had such problems (at burning only) with another burner, a long time
ago...

anyways, that's where its confusing, cuz i changed so anything in my
computer, and it still happens...

R. McCarty wrote:
> Check the Optical recorder's website for a Firmware Flash update.
>
> "CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> news:1121440615.133580.112480@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > well, i recreated that read-CD-in-BIOS-and-crash thing. i put a CD in
> > the player when starting the computer, and as soon as it displayed
> > "Boot from CD :" it reboots. then i did some tests, so i can conclude
> > this :
> >
> > -my problem is OS independant (since it happens even in the BIOS)
> > -none of my two RAMs are involved (i tried takin one of then the other,
> > and still had the problem)
> > -it's motherboard-independant (had the same problem with my MSI as with
> > my ASUS)
> > -it's CPU-independant (changed of CPU an had the same problem)
> >
> > now, i'm not sure, but it seems that when the player/burner is runnin
> > at low speed (like 8x) it hardly ever crashes, as it seems that its
> > when it reaches which speed (like 52x) that it crashes.
> >
> > knowing all that, i still cant conclude to how to fix such a problem
> >
> > Ron Martell wrote:
> >> "CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >> >
> >> >havent checked for last times it happens,cuz i dont remember the time,
> >> >but, usually, there is no entry anywhere matching the error, just
> >> >sometimes it says before that some IMAPI service is being started. i
> >> >tried desactivating that service, but it didnt change anything. still
> >> >cant lead to an explanation to how it coul do that by reading a CD in
> >> >the BIOS...
> >>
> >> That is why it is so important to get the full details of the actual
> >> error messages that are produced by Windows. It is only by checking
> >> out those details that you can identify what is causing the problem.
> >>
> >> Some of the conflicts that arise between application programs, device
> >> drivers, and Windows components have end results that appear quite
> >> incongruous, at least until you identify the underlying cause.
> >>
> >>
> >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> >> --
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> On-Line Help Computer Service
> >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> >>
> >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> >
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:36:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote:

>just did it and it didn't change anything. we also gotta remember that
>I had such problems (at burning only) with another burner, a long time
>ago...
>
>anyways, that's where its confusing, cuz i changed so anything in my
>computer, and it still happens...
>

Still waiting for you to provide the complete *verbatim* text of the
actual error messages that you are getting with respect to this
problem.

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 12:31:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

no error message... like i said, its happening directly in the bios,
without Windows to be even startin loadin... it's just.. restartin..

Ron Martell wrote:
> "CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
> >just did it and it didn't change anything. we also gotta remember that
> >I had such problems (at burning only) with another burner, a long time
> >ago...
> >
> >anyways, that's where its confusing, cuz i changed so anything in my
> >computer, and it still happens...
> >
>
> Still waiting for you to provide the complete *verbatim* text of the
> actual error messages that you are getting with respect to this
> problem.
>
> Good luck
>
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>
> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 4:18:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Just for grins...........try unplugging all external USB devices and see if
the problem remains. I had a problem during the loading of BIOS, prior to
the POST beep, however, in XP it resulted in a long delay for boot. It
turned out that there was a conflict between my new printer that has a card
reader built in and an internal floppy/card reader in the machine. Changing
the plug arrangement solved the issue. I was just thinking that this
'delay' in XP might manifest itself differently in Me. No longer having my
Me box....I can't check this.
Have you added any new hardware lately....that is, prior to the problem
starting??
Heirloom, old and
grabbing for straws


"CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
news:1121614313.515887.286650@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> no error message... like i said, its happening directly in the bios,
> without Windows to be even startin loadin... it's just.. restartin..
>
> Ron Martell wrote:
>> "CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>>
>> >just did it and it didn't change anything. we also gotta remember that
>> >I had such problems (at burning only) with another burner, a long time
>> >ago...
>> >
>> >anyways, that's where its confusing, cuz i changed so anything in my
>> >computer, and it still happens...
>> >
>>
>> Still waiting for you to provide the complete *verbatim* text of the
>> actual error messages that you are getting with respect to this
>> problem.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>>
>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
>
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 6:36:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

you think there may be a conflict with some USB device? i'll try that
next time i reboot.

and as for new hardware, yeah i always add new hardware, and you know,
i've had this problem for more or less 2 years now, well as for
burning, cuz as for reading it's more recent (but i couldnt tell since
when i've had it). now i'm startin to realize that at last it has
nuthin to do in a Windows XP, so i'll ask about my problem in some
hardware group i guess

Heirloom wrote:
> Just for grins...........try unplugging all external USB devices and see if
> the problem remains. I had a problem during the loading of BIOS, prior to
> the POST beep, however, in XP it resulted in a long delay for boot. It
> turned out that there was a conflict between my new printer that has a card
> reader built in and an internal floppy/card reader in the machine. Changing
> the plug arrangement solved the issue. I was just thinking that this
> 'delay' in XP might manifest itself differently in Me. No longer having my
> Me box....I can't check this.
> Have you added any new hardware lately....that is, prior to the problem
> starting??
> Heirloom, old and
> grabbing for straws
>
>
> "CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> news:1121614313.515887.286650@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > no error message... like i said, its happening directly in the bios,
> > without Windows to be even startin loadin... it's just.. restartin..
> >
> > Ron Martell wrote:
> >> "CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> >>
> >> >just did it and it didn't change anything. we also gotta remember that
> >> >I had such problems (at burning only) with another burner, a long time
> >> >ago...
> >> >
> >> >anyways, that's where its confusing, cuz i changed so anything in my
> >> >computer, and it still happens...
> >> >
> >>
> >> Still waiting for you to provide the complete *verbatim* text of the
> >> actual error messages that you are getting with respect to this
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> Good luck
> >>
> >>
> >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> >> --
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> On-Line Help Computer Service
> >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> >>
> >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> >
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:00:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

CFran,
Don't take all I said to heart, it was just a swag on my part.
There are much more knowledgeable folks in this NG. I was just relating
what happened to me after installing the printer. The only reason I brought
it up is because it would not hurt anything to remove the USB hardware and
then boot up to see if it makes a difference.........I uncovered my problem
by unplugging the printer and did this because it was the only new thing I
had done to the computer since I noticed the issue. Even if you seek out
another group, I, for one, would be real interested in what you find. Best
wishes......
Heirloom, old and going to bed now


"CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
news:1121636210.360330.274400@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> you think there may be a conflict with some USB device? i'll try that
> next time i reboot.
>
> and as for new hardware, yeah i always add new hardware, and you know,
> i've had this problem for more or less 2 years now, well as for
> burning, cuz as for reading it's more recent (but i couldnt tell since
> when i've had it). now i'm startin to realize that at last it has
> nuthin to do in a Windows XP, so i'll ask about my problem in some
> hardware group i guess
>
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 9:28:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

thx, well, now, since i'm runnin out of theories to explain the origin
of my problems, ill just exchange my CD-ROM drive with another computer
and see what happen, to see if i have anything to blame on my CD-ROM
drive..

Heirloom wrote:
> CFran,
> Don't take all I said to heart, it was just a swag on my part.
> There are much more knowledgeable folks in this NG. I was just relating
> what happened to me after installing the printer. The only reason I brought
> it up is because it would not hurt anything to remove the USB hardware and
> then boot up to see if it makes a difference.........I uncovered my problem
> by unplugging the printer and did this because it was the only new thing I
> had done to the computer since I noticed the issue. Even if you seek out
> another group, I, for one, would be real interested in what you find. Best
> wishes......
> Heirloom, old and going to bed now
>
>
> "CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> news:1121636210.360330.274400@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > you think there may be a conflict with some USB device? i'll try that
> > next time i reboot.
> >
> > and as for new hardware, yeah i always add new hardware, and you know,
> > i've had this problem for more or less 2 years now, well as for
> > burning, cuz as for reading it's more recent (but i couldnt tell since
> > when i've had it). now i'm startin to realize that at last it has
> > nuthin to do in a Windows XP, so i'll ask about my problem in some
> > hardware group i guess
> >
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:36:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Keep us informed............
Heirloom, old and curious


"CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
news:1121732889.002731.199240@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> thx, well, now, since i'm runnin out of theories to explain the origin
> of my problems, ill just exchange my CD-ROM drive with another computer
> and see what happen, to see if i have anything to blame on my CD-ROM
> drive..
>
> Heirloom wrote:
>> CFran,
>> Don't take all I said to heart, it was just a swag on my part.
>> There are much more knowledgeable folks in this NG. I was just relating
>> what happened to me after installing the printer. The only reason I
>> brought
>> it up is because it would not hurt anything to remove the USB hardware
>> and
>> then boot up to see if it makes a difference.........I uncovered my
>> problem
>> by unplugging the printer and did this because it was the only new thing
>> I
>> had done to the computer since I noticed the issue. Even if you seek out
>> another group, I, for one, would be real interested in what you find.
>> Best
>> wishes......
>> Heirloom, old and going to bed now
>>
>>
>> "CFran" <Michel0528@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
>> news:1121636210.360330.274400@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> > you think there may be a conflict with some USB device? i'll try that
>> > next time i reboot.
>> >
>> > and as for new hardware, yeah i always add new hardware, and you know,
>> > i've had this problem for more or less 2 years now, well as for
>> > burning, cuz as for reading it's more recent (but i couldnt tell since
>> > when i've had it). now i'm startin to realize that at last it has
>> > nuthin to do in a Windows XP, so i'll ask about my problem in some
>> > hardware group i guess
>> >
>
!