Sign in with
Your question

USB Moust doesn't stay initialized

Last response: in Windows XP
July 17, 2002 3:53:11 AM

I have a Kensington USB Optical wheel mouse. Whenever the computer reboots or is turned back on, I have to unplug the mouse from the USB port and plug it back in before it will work. Now when I do this it doesn't reinstall any drivers or say "New device detected," it just starts working. It won't do this in PS/2 mode, but it performs like crap in PS/2 mode (small movements cause that stupid optical jerk crap), so I have to use USB. I've tried using the generic MS drivers, and the manufacturers, but nothing works. Has anyone else had this problem or know a work a round?

"Trying is the first step towards failure."
July 17, 2002 6:14:57 AM

Only thing I can think of is have you enabled USB support in the BIOS or tried another USB port?
See if there is an updated driver for Win XP.
Other than that I dunno.

Good luck.

<A HREF="http://www.koalanet.com/australian-slang.html" target="_new">Aussie slang</A>
July 18, 2002 5:22:43 AM

i had this problems too with other brand of mouse except MS optical mouse. please wait for 5 seconds or more before pluging back the mouse to the usb port again. plug it back to the mobo usb port not to any external usb hub. i guess you have to do it often everytime you reboot. this can be eliminated by getting a USB 2.0 PCI card and plug the mouse to the USB 2.0 port.
Related resources
July 18, 2002 7:08:51 AM

You may have a conflict with another device, like the video card or an NIC card. I have seen NIC cards conflict with a video card, which in turn caused conflicts with other devices, like a USB mouse or a USB joystick. This might not even affect the display, or cause a BSOD, but simply render the device inactive during the boot until reconnected after the GUI is loaded. These kind of conflicts are not always visible from the Device Manager, but may show up as a series of unusual and/or consistent errors in the Event Viewer System log, which is located under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel. If one device in particular seems to be coming up with errors, uninstall it from the Device Manager, and physically remove it from the system. If this corrects the problem with the mouse, you've found the source of the problem. Fixing this might be as simple as shifting the cards around in the PCI slots, and updating the drivers for all the devices. Or if the video card is a GeForce4 card ... installing an older card. There have been some conflicts with GF4 cards and the BIOS versions on various mainboards (especially with the Intel 850 chipset), which causes some problems with ACPI power management and IRQ sharing.

If you have two devices in one hub (2 USB ports), you might consider adding an external powered hub for the mouse. The power demands for a passive USB hub shouldn't exceed 500mA, which is the basically the power drain for the combination of one low-powered device (i.e. a mouse) and a one high-powered device (a scanner). However, on many VIA mainboards, the hub can really only support one device per hub, even if the power limitations have not been exceeded.

You might also try disabling USB error detection. This is found under the Properties for the USN Universal Host Controllers and the Advanced tab. Select the check box for "Don't tell me about USB errors".

You may find the solution would be in updating the chipset drivers for the mainboard.

Finally, you should check to see if USB support is enabled in the BIOS, especially for legacy devices.

I wouldn't suggest adding an additional PCI card, even one that is USB 2.0, until you verify that there is no conflict with another device. If a conflict exists, forcing the system to allocate or share another IRQ address is not necessarily the best solution. I'm not saying that it won't work ... anything is possible. But that would not be my first choice for troubleshooting the issue.

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>
July 18, 2002 11:13:28 PM

The only errors in the event log are for network related stuff (I think internet, like trying to connect to a website if it isn't connected). There are not any resource conflicts, and the only IRQ that is shared is 11, which is with the GeForce4 graphics card and the nForce audio codec, and there is no way to change that. The USB controller is all by itself on IRQ 10. One thing I noticed though, is that if restart the computer without using the Windows shutdown, like by just pressing the restart button on the case, the mouse will come back up when Windows comes back up. But, if I use Windows shutdown or restart, it won't. It's almost like when Windows shuts down, it disconnects the device. I don't know what's up... All the drivers for all the hardware are the most recent versions, and I just ran Windows update a couple days ago.

July 18, 2002 11:34:49 PM

An idea:

Go to Properties for the USB Root Hubs in the Device Manager, and look under the Power Management tab. Check to see if ACPI is turning off the Hubs to save power. Clear the check boxes, if they are selected.

... T

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>
July 19, 2002 1:50:43 AM

The boxes were selected, and I did deselect them. That solved the problem with it not coming back when the computer restarts, but if I shutdown the system and turn it back on, I still have to unplug and replug the mouse. Well, that's half the problem solved, thanks!

!