HP ML370 G4 SERVER

PHYSC

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Hi i am new here and need some advice i was gifted an older model hp server the hp proliant ml370 g4 to be exact and was wondering if anyone knows which dual core xeon processors are the ones i need to install i have flashed the rom so that it recognizes dual core processors x2 of but when inquiring on web page after webpage i find noone puts which model ie. the model type of the processors used they just put at most socket 604 but as i looked on ebay it comes up with more than 1 type of socket 604 xeon dual core i realy would like to know which version it is i'm supposed to use i don't want to buy an incompatible processor type. Another good question is does anyone know if a pci-express x4 to x16 adapter will run a pci-express x16 card at full or peak of pci-express x4 slot which it's for but can go to x8 apparently or will it work at full x16 speeds? if it is kept at x8 would it be any good using a ddr5 graphics card on it i want to convert this ugly old monster into a 16gb ram, ddr5 1gb graphics, x2 dual core zeon processor beauty or am i going for to older tech for the job at hand? any help would be an advantage at this point in time. thanks in advance

G

IT'S ME PHYSC AGAIN HAVE BOUGHT AND SUCCESSFULY RUN 2 XEON 3.02GHZ PROCESSORS GOT OFFICIAL 64BIT WINDOWS 7 ON IT NOW JUST ORDERED A DDR5 1GB RADEON 5670 FOR £64.95 ON EBAY, HAVE GOT IT RUNNING 2GB RAM SO FAR AND BOUGHT A X8 TO X16 PCI EXPRESS RISER (CONVERTER) WHICH IS CURRENTLY RUNNIG SOME CRAPPY 128MB RADEON CARD TILL THE NEW CARD COMES SO IS A SIGN THAT THE CARDS X16 EXPRESS RUN. HOPING SOMETIME SOON OR IN THE NOT TO DISTANT FUTURE TO GET ME 4X 2GB STICKS OF RAM AND BUMP IT UP TO 10GB RAM TO FINISH THE PROJECT OFF I'LL MESSAGE HERE IN A FEW DAYS TO TELL ABOUT THE LEVEL OF GAMING IT CAN PRODUCE ONCE THE CARDS FITTED. IT SOUNDS LIKE A HERCULES BOMBER THOUGH AS CAN'T USE THE SYSTEM HEALTH UTILITY FOR THE WINDOWS 7 64BIT SO MY PLAN IS RUN IT BEHIND THE SOPHA TO DRONE IT OUT A BIT GOING TO REQUIRE A LONG HDMI CABLE TO REACH THE TV AND WILL NEED TO USE MY 2 20M AUDIO CABLES TO RUN A HEADSET OR SPEAKERS ON IT HEADSET IS THE MAIN PRIORITY FOR ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON