Dell XPS 410 and Geforce 8800 GTX Horror Story

Daves255

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
So I'm hoping that anyone who is considering buying a XPS 410 with an 8800 GTX reads this before they buy it. I recently bought an XPS 410 computer with an 8800 GTX and 4GB RAM. I'll save the details and say that I was experiencing random lockups in games. After hours spent on the Dell support lines, we figured out the problem was the 375 watt power supply. In fact, most of the people we talked to were even surprised it worked at all. So after lots of trying to find a solution, they recommended we downgrade the graphics card to an 8600 or 7800. We decided that since we bought the computer for the 8800, we would ask for a new power supply. Went to Best Buy and, despite what the guy from Dell support told and reassured us, the power supplies that Best Buy had wouldn't work because the Dell computer's power supply was a non-standard size. So now they decided to send us an XPS 710 with similar components, but with the 1000W power supply. Of course, this was acceptable, but today we found out the order had been cancelled by Dell. Not looking forward to more time on the phones with them.

Moral of the story, check the power supply before buying a premade computer and research every component as if you were building it yourself to avoid problems =/.

Can you pass this on to the company who built your computer. It's basic common knowledge.

Power Requirements for 8800GTX:

475W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 32A or more
Minimum system power requirement based on a typical PC configured with an Intel Core2 Extreme X6800 processor
Two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
-or-
Four 4-pin Molex supplementary power connectors

Daves255

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007

Dell = stupid :pfff:

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004

It's fairly well known that dell doesn't use good enough power supplies for stuff other than their XPS 700s and workstations, it's not so profitable for them to do so. But Im glad you noticed how retarded and shitty Dell is. :kaola:

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

Sorry to hear you've had bad luck, but you're definitely in the minority on this one.

Any aftermarket power supply with physically fit and plug into the connectors inside your PC. The only difference between the factory Dell PSU and aftermarket is that the Dell PSU is slightly taller, causing about a 1/2" gap at the bottom of the replacement PSU. That gap can be easily covered with tape if you desire. Really....this isn't that hard to figure out, but then again Geek Squad is severely retarded. You would be better served asking for help at the Dell forums, unless of course you were actually aiming for a Dell-bashing circle jerk instead of any real help from this forum.

Daves255

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Well, I would agree with doing a home fix, but you have to remember that this computer IS under warranty. I can only do what they let me do under their warranty. I don't really need help, but I want to pass this on to anyone who is thinking of getting a 410 XPS...it's not a matter of minority or not, the power supply simply won't work with the 8800 GTX. If anyone is interested in an update...they accidently sent another 410 XPS...now they have to send it back and get the 710 sent out. Dell has, however, been very nice about it, and they are replacing it with a 710 XPS (with an upgraded processor) for free.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
That's exactly what I mean when I say that you're in the minority. The 375 wat PSU in that Dell has many satisfied users with the 8800GTX. It's possible your particular PSU may be weaker than it should be. Of course, it would be nice if dell put the higher watt PSU in the 410 everytime someone ordered the 8800GTX, just to give the end user a little piece of mind. Anyway, I'm glad Dell is making it right with you.