need help in buying a couple of cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
I am in the market for a new camera(s). So far, no one camera will do all I want it to do, so I am now considering buying more than one. I am undecided between Canon and Sony. I have Canon lenses from as old T50, which I wouldn't mind using again, but it's not imperative.
I need a camera for:
Band performances (very very bad lighting)
Cross Country/Track
(I do not take continuous pictures,
just one of my son crossing the finish line.
I would like a movie mode here, but)
Indoor portraits, ones of my children/dogs (sometimeslighting is an issue)
Outdoor portrait, also of my children (just being kids: playing, shoveling snow, swimming)
also some indoor action ones (some in a gym, or in an indoor pool, also

I do not print larger than 8x10.
I have looked at: Canon xt, xti, G9, and S5 IS. Sony H9 and A100. (listed in no particular order)
I have to admit I love the Sony name, and would buy their camera just for the name, but I am trying to buy what I need this time and not buy on impulse. I really do like the menu configuration the the H9, but the movie mode was not as good as the S5 IS.
I almost bought a Fuji (never had a fuji) for the low light recommendations, but it never came to the US last xmas.
I really would like a camera with movie mode on it, as sometimes my husband can not go with us, and I just can't carry our camcorder, also. But then the times he is with us, I want a camera that will take great pictures! The low-light situation seems to be constant at indoor functions! My pictures are dark and not clear.
I have also ruined a camera because of being by the water so much. one for water would be good!

There is no one camera so far that I have been able to figure out that can:
shoot great pics in low-light
take action shoots
movie mode
waterproof
battery life

thanks
suzy

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I own the Canon XTi but for most of the time I use my wife's camera Fuji F31fd. because it's light and take good pictures. Xti is great as long as you pair them with more expensive lenses than the camera itself.

I too am in the market for prosumer camera and leaning towards the G9 due to its compactness. But if you don't have a good photo editing software, for the price of Canon G9, Fuji S8000fd + LightZone from Lightcrafts is a better choice. That’s just my opinion.

Shoot great pics in low-light - Canon slight advantage
Take action shoots - Canon Optical Image Stabilizer
- Fuji CCD-shift Image Stabilizer
Movie mode - Canon • 1024 x 768 @ 15fps
• 640 x 480 @ 30 / 15fps
- Fuji 640 x 480 pixels, 30 frames/sec.
Waterproof - Canon with Waterproof Case WP-DC11
Battery life - Canon proprietary battery, 250 pictures
- Fuji 400 pictures on a single set of Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. Cheaper and easier to replace.
Warranty - Canon 1 year warranty.
- Fuji 3 years warranty after internet registration.
Compact - Canon

Equal Price @ $400: Fuji S8000fd vs Canon S5 IS. Fuji Wins

Can't say much on sony and S5 IS. I Haven't check them out yet.

danmarhk

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
rexter gives some much details...
I have not much else to say...
From my experience, Canon and Fuji are good at tackling dark scences.
In particular, the face detection of Canon helps a lot, while the scene modes of Fuji are very useful for beginners.
In contrast, Casio, Nikon, and Samsung are not too good. They do a bad job for noise reduction when the ISO value is very high.
Does my reply help, Suzy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS