Problems installing windows XP

July 13, 2005 1:31:07 PM

I was given an Athlon 64 3400 socket 754 Clawhammer and I recently
bought a Asus K8N4-E Deluxe (link to it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.asp?Item=N82E168131315 33)

Now I installed everything, I'm using a copper Zalman HSF, and I have a
500w PSU ... When I went to boot from the windows (Windows XP 64bit) cd
so that I could reformat + reinstall (update the HAL), the CD would
boot up, get to the blue screen when it starts loading everything, it
would hang and freeze after it says Setup is Starting Windows (or
something to that extent).

(Yes I have enabled OS2 in bios)

Now when I tried to do the same thing with a regular 32-bit windows xp
(home edition) cd, it would restart after loading a few things instead
of hanging, and it'd just keep doing that.

I have tried to boot up another cd that has partition magic on it, and
I was able to do that and reformat my main partition ... however
afterwards I tried to boot up windows xp (64 bit and 32 bit) and it
does the same thing.

Any one know what could possibly be wrong?
July 13, 2005 8:09:53 PM

k. tran wrote:

> I was given an Athlon 64 3400 socket 754 Clawhammer and I recently
> bought a Asus K8N4-E Deluxe (link to it:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.asp?Item=N82E168131315 33)
>
> Now I installed everything, I'm using a copper Zalman HSF, and I have
> a 500w PSU ... When I went to boot from the windows (Windows XP 64bit)
> cd so that I could reformat + reinstall (update the HAL), the CD would
> boot up, get to the blue screen when it starts loading everything, it
> would hang and freeze after it says Setup is Starting Windows (or
> something to that extent).
>
> (Yes I have enabled OS2 in bios)
>
> Now when I tried to do the same thing with a regular 32-bit windows xp
> (home edition) cd, it would restart after loading a few things instead
> of hanging, and it'd just keep doing that.
>
> I have tried to boot up another cd that has partition magic on it, and
> I was able to do that and reformat my main partition ... however
> afterwards I tried to boot up windows xp (64 bit and 32 bit) and it
> does the same thing.
>
> Any one know what could possibly be wrong?

Usually problems installing an operating system stem from hardware
failures. Test your RAM, make sure your motherboard can handle the
processor you put in it, make sure your heat sink is properly attached.
Reseat everything. To test the RAM, I like Memtest86+ from
www.memtest.org. Obviously, you have to get the program from a working
machine. You will either download the precompiled Windows binary to
make a bootable floppy or the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want
to use the latter, you'll need to have third-party burning software on
the machine where you download the file - XP's built-in burning
capability won't do the job. In either case, boot with the media you
made. The test will run immediately. Let the test run for an extended
period of time - unless errors are seen immediately. If you get any
errors, replace the RAM.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers