Windows Vista & Canon 20D problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelli_d

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
OK..I am really getting frustrated with all the downloads I have had to do with this new Window Vista. I have gotten everything to work except for my Canon 20D. Windows Vista will NOT even recognize that I have plugged the cable in & turned the camera on. It isn't listed on the My Computer screen. I have gone to Canon.com & downloaded what it told me to download & still nothing. I also have a problem that when I do plug the camera in & turn it on it "boots up" my scanner toolbox. The only options on my scanner toolbox is for copying &scanning...there is no options for opening my camera. Can you help? OH...I have Windows Vista 32 not that 64. I noticed they have no download for the 64. Both discs I received with my camera were both installed. I also want to note that I have a Canon PowerShot A570IS that I haven't even put the software into the computer & it is accepted...but the 20D is not..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jeff1212

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Set the D20 camera communications setting on PTP instead of NORMAL. Vista will then recognize it as a device and give you more options for starting up transfer software. Windows Photo Gallery will handle jpg file transfers.

pbgrediguana

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Jeff, you are the man. It works. You have no idea how thankful I am that you solved this problem for me. Why don't those Canon punks just put this quick fix on their stupid website and help a girl out??? Instead they let hundreds probably thousands of people suffer with this stupid ass Vista product!
Anyway, you should charge for this fix and you'd be rich!

sighthound

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
I am glad I found this forum and your solution to change communication to PTP worked for me as well. Oddly, the camera's manual specifically states that PTP is NOT for download to a PC, that it does not work. So much for that. I have always used a card reader but went through 2 in the past 7 uses with bent pins (one melted and could have caused a fire) because they are engineered so poorly they don't line up cleanly, at least in my opinion. I will continue to search for a good one though, prefer that to doing the direct camera download.

G

Thanks Jeff
Communication to PTP worked for me as well and ended hours of frustration.
Georgina

daveymac

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Thanks Jeff I jus got a new laptop and couldn't get it to link up with my 20d. I'm running windows 7. now it works great. Thanks for saving me a headache.

curbster

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I also was having the same problem with my EOS 20D with Windows 7. Your suggestion worked for me as well, thanks Jeff!

G

i was having the same problem too....thanks a lot Jeff...spent hours before I read this downloading lots of patches and drivers....that is great thanks steve

G

I don't know how you found this answer, but thanks a lot.
i have been frustrated since installing software for the 5D MK11 and had to pull the media card from the 20D and use a reader, now that has failed and eureka!!! you have the answer.

where do i send the Cheque ? :)

eric

BigDog_51

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Jeff,
You should go to work for Canon since their web page didn't help at all. Spent the better part of the day trying to get a driver to work. Your fix took me approx 10 seconds! Thanks for the help!!!!
Scuber

DaGreekGeek

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

Don't blame Vista. Canon chose to drop support for the 20 D and from your description the Vista drives published by Canon don't work or at least install properly (on top of old drivers).

If Microsoft didn't change it's OS to ADVANCE (granted Vista was a pain to get use to but it was a good OS if you were patient to learn what the changed, and Windows 7 is near excellent to perfect) then we'd still be using Windows 3.1.

Same thing happens on Mac when Mac OS has major changes. you can't take a driver for Mac OS 8 and expect it to work with Snow Leopard... As with Windows it may work but it may not. This happens all the time on Linux. Count yourself lucky...

G

PTP mode works great even on Vista x64

I was a little scared when they didn't have a driver on there website for a 64 bit operating system

gobler123

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010

I had the same problem, canon will talk you through it, if you ring them, although I got so frustrated with it all I sold my canon and bought an olympus E3 ! they say they have all the drivers for vista on their site ! but it is a bit of a maze to find them. give them a ring

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Perhaps this is a dumb question, but why aren't people using card readers to transfer images rather than connecting the camera directly? I have a 20D and I have never found the need to connect it directly to any computer because I don't like taking it out of my camera bag. I also keep a card reader in my bag in case I am elsewhere.

myxo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

I wonder which is worst were out a card slot or the USB connector? Personally I regularly control my 20D remotely (Time laps and studio shots) so need the USB to work. The solution suggested here does not work for me!

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Well if you don't have a USB port you couldn't connect the camera let alone a card reader. It would be a moot point then.

G

Tethered shooting. When doing portraits I can't get a feel for the image quality on a 2" LCD, nor display it well for the client to decide.

payne_jess

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Thank you Thank you thank you! I was totally having the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.