Newbie Question - Can DVD-Rs record music CDs?

julielou2

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
I'm currently researching for a new PC and have been very left behind by new technology. My last new PC was built for me back in '98 by a friendly techie I worked with.

I'm noticing that most PC bundles come with a DVD recorder instead of CD recorder. I understand that I will fit far more data on a DVD than a CD but will I still be able to burn music CDs with a DVD recorder? Would I be better off having the DVD recorder that comes with the bundle and paying the extra for a CD recorder too?

Thank you.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, all DVD writers can also write to CDRs, including writing audio CDs.

Right now the only advantage of dedicated CD writers is that most of them have somewhat higher DAE speeds, CD burning speeds, and are better at backing up protected game CDs than DVD writers. The last is becoming less of an issue as copy protection is getting better and making backups more difficult. CD speed is a big issue either. If you are shooting for quality you want to use lower speeds anyway.

For most people a DVD writer is all they need.

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You burn CD's to blank CD disks, you burn DVD's to blank DVD-R disks, the writer does both, you just need to buy the blanks for the format you're recording.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>