Please help resolving hardware problem....

SoundWave

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
A few days ago i was playing 9Dragons and got a gameguard error. Clicked ok and it started to close the game. All of the sudden instant reboot and windows wouldn´t start. Kept getting a BSOD with error:
STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80550211, 0xBA876B94, 0x00000000)
Sometimes it would be before the welcome screen others it would go all the way to desktop and then BSOD. Tried safe mode and it started ok, but i kept getting errors in every program i tried to run until i got the BSOD.
So i formetted and reinstalled windows xp pro sp2. Scanned for virus and spyware and it was clean. For 3 days it worked fine, but then i started getting errors in every app (firefox, messenger, etc...). First it was a few minutes after i executed the program, but then it started to be right at start of application. Some files would even give me a error for being corrupted (firefox installer, spybot...). Until i got the same BSOD and windows didn't start again.
Left it turned off for the night and in the morning turned it on and it worked fine. The files that were supposed to be corrupted worked fine and all.

I then ran memtest86+ for 1+ hour and it found 80.000+ errors in pass 7 (GOOD 00000000 BAD 00000020) and 9000+ errors on pass 8.
Removed 1 stick of 512MB and re-ran memtest and this time no errors were found.

The day after i got infected with a spyware and when i was trying to get rid of it... i got two page_fault_in_nonpaged_area (stop 0x00000050 (0xE1440000...)) bsod and then the same BSOD (tried restarting 2 times and it would BSOD at the same spot, right before the welcome screen, so i'm thinking this time the BSOD was related to the spyware).

But now i'm afraid it's a bigger hardware failure than a ram stick.
What do you guys think?

It's a HP Pavilion 3720 5 months old.

Worked great until now (didn't get BSOD for 5 months). I don't overclock, didn't add hardware (not changed drivers for at least 1 month).

I really need the pc for school work and have an exam in two weeks, so i don't want to send the pc back for repair if it's just a bad ram stick.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

CAUSE

This behavior may occur if one of the following conditions is true: • One or more of the random access memory (RAM) modules that are installed on your computer are faulty.
• The RAM configuration is incompatible with Windows XP.

SoundWave

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
The thing is, the page_fault_in_nonpaged_area bsod only happend to me when i was fighting the spyware and after i removed the supposed faulty ram. The ram i have now passed the memtest tests with 0 errors.
And i never had a bsod during install or a bsod that showed any filename on the message.

What intrigues me the most is that when i have the bsod, if i put the winxp cd and reinstall the system works at least for some time. If it really is the ram then why didn't it give problems in the 3 days between the bsod problems. I played a couple of games in that time some of them very memory hungry (mostly 9Dragons and lineage2).
I'm really starting to lose my mind with this.