re-install XP without losing applications or associated re..

I would like to re-install XP on my PC without losing the installed
applications and associated registry information. How would I do this?
Thanks
--
techy613
7 answers Last reply

    techy613 wrote:

    > I would like to re-install XP on my PC without losing the installed
    > applications and associated registry information. How would I do this?
    > Thanks

    A repair install should retain programs and data. There is no way to do
    a clean install and retain installed programs.

    Clean Install Windows XP

    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    In news:1FDDF616-7BC5-408E-82D3-165F23DC0EB4@microsoft.com,
    techy613 <techy613@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I would like to re-install XP on my PC without losing the
    > installed
    > applications and associated registry information. How would I
    > do this?

    Why do you want to do a reinstallation? What problem are you
    having?

    There is no way to literally do a reinstallation without losing
    all of the above. However you can do what is called a "repair"
    installation, which may meet your needs. See "How to Perform a
    Windows XP Repair Install" at

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    techy613

    "Rock" wrote:

    > techy613 wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to re-install XP on my PC without losing the installed
    > > applications and associated registry information. How would I do this?
    > > Thanks
    >
    > A repair install should retain programs and data. There is no way to do
    > a clean install and retain installed programs.
    >
    > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >
    > Clean Install Windows XP
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
    > techy613
    Thanks for the info. Do you know which system files I would lose? Should I
    save the orignal ones and replace the new ones after the installation?

    techy613

    In news:9294C8D3-FCD0-40CC-A943-904C549AC95D@microsoft.com,
    techy613 <techy613@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    >> In news:1FDDF616-7BC5-408E-82D3-165F23DC0EB4@microsoft.com,
    >> techy613 <techy613@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> I would like to re-install XP on my PC without losing the
    >>> installed
    >>> applications and associated registry information. How would I
    >>> do this?
    >>

    >> Why do you want to do a reinstallation? What problem are you
    >> having?
    >>
    >> There is no way to literally do a reinstallation without
    >> losing
    >> all of the above. However you can do what is called a "repair"
    >> installation, which may meet your needs. See "How to Perform a
    >> Windows XP Repair Install" at
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    >> thanks for the info. My PC started to slow down (5 minutes to
    >> start
    >> an application). I tested for virus, spyware etc. and
    >> defragged, All
    >> I found was a suspicous process called DefWatch, which I
    >> stopped via
    >> msconfig. Have you heard of this process? How can I eliminate
    >> it
    >> forever, if its malware? So I thought it would be a good idea
    >> re-install.

    "defwatch.exe is a part of Norton Antivirus Corporarte Edition,
    and is responsible for monitoring the virus definition files and
    ititiating procseses to bring them upto date if they aren't." See
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/defwatch/

    Randomly stopping processes or programs is *not* a good idea
    unless you know what they are. Google can help you get
    information like this. In this case, stopping this process
    apparently reduced your protection.

    In my view, reinstalling is usually a mistake. With a modicum of
    care, it should never be necessary to reinstall Windows (XP or
    any other version). I've run Windows 3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows
    95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP, each for the period
    of time before the next version came out, and each on two
    machines here. I never reinstalled any of them, and I have never
    had anything more than an occasional minor problem.

    It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
    support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
    almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
    "reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
    It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
    doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
    most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

    But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You
    have to restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all
    your programs, you have to reinstall all the Windows and
    application updates,you have to locate and install all the needed
    drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows and all
    your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome,
    you may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
    application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes?
    Do you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
    customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
    everything work the way you like?

    Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
    that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
    far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
    troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
    after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
    have failed.

    Note that a repair installation isunlikely to solve this kind of
    problem, and there is no way to do a full installation "without
    losing the installed applications and associated registry
    information."

    You say that you have "tested for virus, spyware etc." Exactly
    how have you done that? What products have you run, and are they
    up to date? When it comes to anti-spyware software, you want to
    be sure to run more than one product, since no single one is good
    enough.

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

> [...]
    > everything work the way you like?
    >
    > Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
    > that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
    > far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
    > troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
    > after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
    > have failed.
    >
    > Note that a repair installation isunlikely to solve this kind of
    > problem, and there is no way to do a full installation "without
    > losing the installed applications and associated registry
    > information."
    >
    > You say that you have "tested for virus, spyware etc." Exactly
    > how have you done that? What products have you run, and are they
    > up to date? When it comes to anti-spyware software, you want to
    > be sure to run more than one product, since no single one is good

    I ran nortorn and Mcafee anti-virus, and microsoft beta and aol antispyware.
    I also noticed an unknown service in msconfig called Netropia HK server. Have
    you heard of this one? If its malware, how do I get rid of it? You mentioned
    that I should reply to the newsgroup. I hope my method of reply was correct
    (I hit the "post button").
    Thanks again for your excellent help.

    techy613 wrote:

    I really don't understand what you are asking. You don't save system
    files prior to doing a repair install. After doing a repair install you
    will need to reapply all updates from the WU site. But I see that you
    are getting help from Ken Blake on cleaning your system. Keep with that
    part of the thread.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User