How do i install os 64-bit on my laptop when i have 32-bit on my laptop

xIronhidePro

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Your OS is 32bit, meaning your processor can only handle 32bit Operating Systems, it's impossible to install a 64bit OS on a 32bit Processor/Computer.

But it doesn't really matter, all 64bit does is have bigger limits for memory.

64 bit extensions have been standard on all x86 processors since about 2005. Many OEMs still ship laptops with 32 bit versions of Windows for completely unknown reasons.

There's more to it than just having a bigger memory limit, 64 bit versions are up to 20% more efficient and far more secure.

xIronhidePro

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Yes excuse me, I'm half asleep right now :p. It's also good for gaming I've heard, but I thought if your processor is 32bit that means it can't support 64bit..

I got an error message or even a BSOD before saying something like this so that's why.

Sorry for my false information :p.

Your information wasn't wrong. It's possible to install a 32 bit operating system on a processor with 64 bit extensions. Similarly, it's still possible to install a 16 bit real mode operating system on any processor after the 80x86. It is not however possible to install a 64 bit OS on a processor that does not have 64 bit extensions. 64 bit binaries tend to use larger data types, QWORDs instead of DWORDs for most computations and definitely for addressing. As a result, 64 bit binaries have a larger memory footprint. In the age of Windows Vista this meant that it was inadvisable to run a 64 bit OS on a computer with less than 2GiB of memory, with 4GiB being preferable.

64 bit OSes aren't any worse for gaming than 32 bit operating systems because very few games ship with 64 bit binaries. However, many games are compiled with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag which squeezes the shared memory into a 1GiB chunk of the virtual address space rather than the usual 2GiB. This allows the application to use 3GiB of its virtual address space rather than the usual 2GiB. On 32bit consumer Windows machines the maximum amount of physical memory is limited to 4GiB even though the kernel supports up to 128 GiB through PAE; Microsoft restricts this for marketing reasons in order to push people onto the 64 bit platforms. Despite having the exact same codebase, the 32 bit server versions of Windows do not have this limitation. This effectively allows a single application to use up to 75% of the total logically addressable memory with the rest reserved for the kernel and shared memory, and thus it's a bit of a hack.

So yeah, I suppose that 64 bit operating systems are pretty good for gaming too.

Angrynerds

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
thrasher32 it's your CPU that will tell you if you can use a 64bit OS. If you're not sure if your CPU has the extensions use CPUZ this will give you all the extensions your processor supports. AMD it's pretty easy they've supported it since the original Athlon 64, Intel I think it was the P4 but I could be wrong for Intel. You're looking for EMT64 on Intel, AMD I can't remember what it is.

If you're trying to put a 64bit OS on your computer, and you're currently running a 32bit version you will have to install the 64 bit as there is no upgrade path from 32 to 64 on Windows Vista/7/Server 2008. Preferably do a clean install, back up all your data including any 64bit drivers you'll need, wipe the drive and install a clean copy of windows. You can wipe the drive during the installation process, or using your Hard drive makers apps. Before you begin always check the manufacturer's site of your computer/laptop to see if there might be any issues using a 64bit OS and get the updates for your hardware.

If you have further issues or concerns ask here again someone will help you.