Sign in with
Your question

Cannot Install Windows (Can't create a partition?)

Last response: in Windows 7
September 15, 2012 1:00:36 AM

When I try to install Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit onto my Hard Drive it says that it can't create a partition on it, so Installation cannot continue.

The hard drive was formatted and cleared and ready to go...How can I solve this problem?

I'm in the BIOS right now, but keep in mind that this is a Dell Dimension 4600 so the BIOS isn't all that advanced like nowaday computers.

Any help is deeply appreciated!
September 15, 2012 1:29:47 AM

So...Does this desktop not support Windows 7?

m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2012 1:55:27 AM

download and burn gpart, boot to gpart, fix HDD UUID and format in gpart, then try again.
m
l
September 15, 2012 2:03:33 AM

Okay, I'll try this, but what is UUID?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2012 2:07:48 AM

There's no need to pre-partition or format the drive, this can be accomplished as part of the install. If you choose the advanced option when asked where you want to install Windows you have the option to delete existing partitions and create new ones (only 4 primary allowed per drive). The installer will format on the fly.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2012 2:11:11 AM

windows 7 and windows 8 looks for a non partion drive. it needs to make two partion when you start the install. the system partion and a data partion. with the drive partion it cant do that so the install fails.
m
l
!