Sign in with
Your question

Looking for help choosing a monitor!

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 22, 2007 8:20:16 PM

I'm currently looking for a LCD monitor that fits my needs as an active computer user, the main things I use my computer for are:

1.) Games - I play a lot of them, usually RPG, but also FPS and RTS games.
2.) Browsing the Internet - Lots of text, images, and even video. I do this very often.
3.) Communication - Between the forums and messaging programs, I see text quite a bit.
4.) Video - I like to watch movies and play high quality videos, not nearly as much as I game, but I'd still like to have a monitor with high capability to play such videos.

I would like a monitor with the ability to do all of these well, but my main focus is gaming.

These are the models I've been looking at:

Samsung 226BW 22"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

D ell 2407WFP-HC 24"
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c... ; ;s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5647

From my understanding the Samsung is a very popular model, which will be good for gaming and work well enough for the rest of my needs.

Of course the Dell is also common, and I believe it's more of a media monitor, rather then a gaming one.

I don't have much experience with either of these brands, or even monitors, so I definitely need some help!

The price is not a large issue, but I'm not interested in wasting. I want to get a quality monitor that's not a rip off! I don't need the biggest, best, or most expensive!

I'm not sure what else to add at the moment. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

All responses are welcome! Thank you for reading! :D 

Edit: Forgot to mention my computer Specs!

6600 @ 2.40GHz
2.00 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX
Seasonic 700W PSU
150GB 10K RPM Raptor HD
250GB 7.2k RPM Caviar HD
NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI

More about : choosing monitor

August 5, 2007 3:03:16 PM

i wanted the dell's 27" but all dell's lcd comes with 89 deg view. i woudnlt recommend that...
try lg l245wp or l246wp for 24" 1920... better then the Sam.

EDIT:
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=... 9&p1=2117&ma2=35&mo2=189&p2=1815&ph=1

go to this link... & continue from there, great reviews & comparison... you'll know what i'm talking about when you'll enter...
August 6, 2007 4:47:06 PM

I use the following for HDTV and as my computer monitor.. it is absolutely awesome.. you do need a high powered VC for your PCF to get max benefit.

ViewSonic's N3260w high-definition 32" widescreen LCD TV provides the ultimate high-definition visual experience by combining DNX™ IMAGE PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY with a super-fast 8ms video response time. WATCH OFF-THE-AIR BROADCASTS on true HDTV with 1366x768 resolution, high brightness and contrast ratio, the N3260w delivers rich, saturated color for DVDs, movies and sports. SRS TRUSURROUND XT AUDIO DELIVERS CLEAR DIGITAL AUDIO to the integrated dual 10-watt speakers or to your home stereo system. Multiple connectors including HDMI with HDCP digital input provide connections for DVD players, set-top boxes, game consoles and more. Enjoy the ultimate in visual entertainment with the elegantly designed, high-performance N3260w.

MSRP: $799.00 US
Your Price: $775.00 US *

The price on this model in Canada, available only at Costco Canada is $649.00 Cdn
Related resources
a c 193 C Monitor
August 7, 2007 12:00:15 AM

I'll take the Dell over the Samsung any day of the week.

Better color accuracy, sharper images and text, wider viewing angles and true support for 1080i/p HD video.

HD video resolution is 1920 x 1080. All 22" LCD monitors have 1680 x 1050 resolution. All 24" - 28" LCD monitors have 1920 x 1200 resolution.
!