Can I password Protect a folder?

It there any way where I can require a password to be entered when I go into
a specific folder?

If this doesn't make sense, Is there anyway I can make it so you will have
to enter a password before you can open up a certain file?

I know you can do this with office documents, but how about just a normal
folder?
Any help? Thanks!
10 answers Last reply
More about password protect folder

    brandon_05mn wrote:

    > It there any way where I can require a password to be entered when I go into
    > a specific folder?
    >
    > If this doesn't make sense, Is there anyway I can make it so you will have
    > to enter a password before you can open up a certain file?
    >
    > I know you can do this with office documents, but how about just a normal
    > folder?
    > Any help? Thanks!

    In XP without 3rd party software access is controlled by permissions.
    Go to Start | Help and Support and type in permissions in the search box.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Public Folder, only with some third party util. You could ZIP it and
    password protect it that way or make it a "Private folder" and only when
    logged on as you, would it be accessable.

    brandon_05mn <brandon_05mn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >It there any way where I can require a password to be entered when I go into
    >a specific folder?

    XP doesn't provide password protection for files, but in XP (Pro,
    anyway) you can decide which users of your computer can use which
    files, and how they can be used. You can then - if you are the
    administrator - force all users to log in with a userid and password.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    brandon_05mn wrote:
    > It there any way where I can require a password to be entered when I go into
    > a specific folder?
    >
    > If this doesn't make sense, Is there anyway I can make it so you will have
    > to enter a password before you can open up a certain file?
    >
    > I know you can do this with office documents, but how about just a normal
    > folder?
    > Any help? Thanks!

    Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
    allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    and/or groups.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
    can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
    uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "brandon_05mn" <brandon_05mn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It there any way where I can require a password to be entered when I go
    > into
    > a specific folder?
    >
    > If this doesn't make sense, Is there anyway I can make it so you will have
    > to enter a password before you can open up a certain file?
    >
    > I know you can do this with office documents, but how about just a normal
    > folder?
    > Any help? Thanks!

    If I right click on a directory name, choose properties, advanced button on
    the general tab there is an encrypt contents checkbox. Is this sufficient
    for your purposes? There's a help system built in to Windows to give you
    more info. There are also several third party utilities that can password
    protect directories/files- a Google search will bring up options.

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:20:40 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
    wrote:

    >"brandon_05mn" <brandon_05mn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> It there any way where I can require a password to be entered when I go
    >> into
    >> a specific folder?
    >>
    >> If this doesn't make sense, Is there anyway I can make it so you will have
    >> to enter a password before you can open up a certain file?
    >>
    >> I know you can do this with office documents, but how about just a normal
    >> folder?
    >> Any help? Thanks!
    >
    >If I right click on a directory name, choose properties, advanced button on
    >the general tab there is an encrypt contents checkbox. Is this sufficient
    >for your purposes? There's a help system built in to Windows to give you
    >more info. There are also several third party utilities that can password
    >protect directories/files- a Google search will bring up options.

    Encryption has nothing to do with keeping users out of folders.

    "NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:20:40 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"brandon_05mn" <brandon_05mn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> It there any way where I can require a password to be entered when I go
    >>> into
    >>> a specific folder?
    >>>
    >>> If this doesn't make sense, Is there anyway I can make it so you will
    >>> have
    >>> to enter a password before you can open up a certain file?
    >>>
    >>> I know you can do this with office documents, but how about just a
    >>> normal
    >>> folder?
    >>> Any help? Thanks!
    >>
    >>If I right click on a directory name, choose properties, advanced button
    >>on
    >>the general tab there is an encrypt contents checkbox. Is this sufficient
    >>for your purposes? There's a help system built in to Windows to give you
    >>more info. There are also several third party utilities that can password
    >>protect directories/files- a Google search will bring up options.
    >>

    > Encryption has nothing to do with keeping users out of folders.

    The subject is password protection, password protection can do that - far
    better than any solution you have given too.

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 04:26:25 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
    wrote:

    >"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:20:40 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"brandon_05mn" <brandon_05mn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >>>If I right click on a directory name, choose properties, advanced button
    >>>on
    >>>the general tab there is an encrypt contents checkbox. Is this sufficient
    >>>for your purposes? There's a help system built in to Windows to give you
    >>>more info. There are also several third party utilities that can password
    >>>protect directories/files- a Google search will bring up options.
    >>>

    >> Encryption has nothing to do with keeping users out of folders.
    >>

    >The subject is password protection, password protection can do that - far
    >better than any solution you have given too.

    Why attack me? I was just pointing out that encryption wasn't the
    solution to the original post! Geez!

    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 04:26:25 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message

    >>> Encryption has nothing to do with keeping users out of folders.
    >>>

    >>The subject is password protection, password protection can do that - far
    >>better than any solution you have given too.
    >>

    > Why attack me? I was just pointing out that encryption wasn't the
    > solution to the original post! Geez!

    encryption needs a password to decrypt the data. You can encrypt a folder
    and need the password to decrypt it. That seems closer to what was asked
    than the solution you gave. Or didn't give- you've avoided that part again.

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 01:11:58 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
    wrote:

    >"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 04:26:25 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message

    >>>The subject is password protection, password protection can do that - far
    >>>better than any solution you have given too.
    >>>

    >> Why attack me? I was just pointing out that encryption wasn't the
    >> solution to the original post! Geez!
    >>

    >encryption needs a password to decrypt the data. You can encrypt a folder
    >and need the password to decrypt it. That seems closer to what was asked
    >than the solution you gave. Or didn't give- you've avoided that part again.

    Boy are you off. Encryption has nothing to do with "a password to
    protect a folder." EFS relies on the user LOGON password. Oh, and
    you are never asked for that password to decrypt once you log on.
    Once sucessfully logged on, the encryption is transparent.

    So I didn't avoid the question, smarty-man. EFS has nothing to do
    with keeping users out of folders.

Microsoft Windows XP