  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    From: the_novikovs@hotmail.com (Combo)

    >Dear newsgroupers,
    >
    >Recently I played a hand with "Four Winds".
    >To be short I risked to get Knitted Straight ...
    >with a hand: B1455599 D 369 C 258 I was
    >waiting for B7 (hand was entirely concealed so far).
    >
    >On B7 I claim "out" (Knitted Straight 12 pts. + Concealed Hand 2 pts.
    >+ No Honors 1 pt. = 15 pts.). Instead I received from computer -30
    >pts. for Faulty Declaration ?!
    >
    >Is it fair enough? It looks like there are still some bugs in 4W
    >software.

    Vitaly, as much as I like you, I really think it's best, when you think a
    software program has a bug, to go to the software's creator. As a software
    producer/designer myself, I would prefer that someone who found a bug in my
    game would come directly to me with it, rather than post it publicly. If you
    did find a bug, he can fix it and later announce that a bug was found and
    fixed. (In the case of the mah-jongg games I produced, there's nothing I can
    do to fix them, but I'd still prefer that bug reports of my games go through
    Activision and me first.)

    It does seem that the example you cited was one that you should have been
    permitted to win. But maybe there was something else going on that I don't
    know about. I think you should ask Arto. You can contact him via the Four
    Winds website (his address is given there).

    Good luck! - Tom
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    "Tom Sloper" <tomster@sloperamaNOSPAM.com> writes:

    > From: the_novikovs@hotmail.com (Combo)

    >> [ bug in Four Winds ]

    > Vitaly, as much as I like you, I really think it's best, when you think a
    > software program has a bug, to go to the software's creator. As a software
    > producer/designer myself, I would prefer that someone who found a bug in my
    > game would come directly to me with it, rather than post it publicly. If you

    Aw, diddums. If you sell (or give away, as in my case) buggy software,
    you should expect the fact to be public. It's information that
    customers and might-be customers should be entitled to have.
    Moreover, as a software producer/designer myself, I would much prefer
    that people confirm with the community that there is a bug before they spend
    my time on it. About half of the "bug reports" I receive are actually
    a failure to RTFM.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    "Julian Bradfield" <jcb@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote :
    > Moreover, as a software producer/designer myself, I would much prefer
    > that people confirm with the community that there is a bug before they
    spend
    > my time on it.

    I was wondering about your views. Interesting.

    > About half of the "bug reports" I receive are actually
    > a failure to RTFM.

    That's for sure! (^_^)
    Cheers - Tom
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    Hi Vitaly

    On 2004-05-30 21:18:26 +0200, the_novikovs@hotmail.com (Combo) said:

    > Dear newsgroupers,
    >
    > Recently I played a hand with "Four Winds". To be short I risked to get
    > Knitted Straight having B1 D369 C258. I
    > managed to draw B4. Finally, with a hand: B1455599 D 369 C 258 I was
    > waiting for B7 (hand was entirely concealed so far).
    >
    > On B7 I claim "out" (Knitted Straight 12 pts. + Concealed Hand 2 pts.
    > + No Honors 1 pt. = 15 pts.). Instead I received from computer -30
    > pts. for Faulty Declaration ?!
    >
    > Is it fair enough? It looks like there are still some bugs in 4W
    > software.
    >
    > Vitaly

    If your hand was fully concealed, then your claim seems valid to me.
    What version of 4W2.0 do you have? Software author Arto Tenkanen has
    published a number of bug repairs, I think the current version is
    2.05A. I remember I sent him one or two bug reports on the Knitted
    Straight; according to me, he repaired them all.

    --

    |Martin Rep
    |The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
    |Mahjong News:
    |www.mahjongnews.com
    |The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
    |www.riichi.tk
    |The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
    |www.gouden-draak.nl
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    Greetings:

    Concerning the Knitted Straight, Martin Rep mentions...

    > If your hand was fully concealed,

    I would like to note that the Knitted Straight does not
    need to be fully concealed (you can claim one grouping).

    So Vitaly's hand would have been valid in any case
    (since it will always have at least 12 points).

    Ryan Morris
    Mahjong Museum
    Kindai Mahjong Magazine
    Tokyo

    Martin Rep <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote in message news:<40bb81f7$0$559$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>...
    > Hi Vitaly
    >
    > On 2004-05-30 21:18:26 +0200, the_novikovs@hotmail.com (Combo) said:
    >
    > > Dear newsgroupers,
    > >
    > > Recently I played a hand with "Four Winds". To be short I risked to get
    > > Knitted Straight having B1 D369 C258. I
    > > managed to draw B4. Finally, with a hand: B1455599 D 369 C 258 I was
    > > waiting for B7 (hand was entirely concealed so far).
    > >
    > > On B7 I claim "out" (Knitted Straight 12 pts. + Concealed Hand 2 pts.
    > > + No Honors 1 pt. = 15 pts.). Instead I received from computer -30
    > > pts. for Faulty Declaration ?!
    > >
    > > Is it fair enough? It looks like there are still some bugs in 4W
    > > software.
    > >
    > > Vitaly
    >

    > If your hand was fully concealed, then your claim seems valid to me.
    > What version of 4W2.0 do you have? Software author Arto Tenkanen has
    > published a number of bug repairs, I think the current version is
    > 2.05A. I remember I sent him one or two bug reports on the Knitted
    > Straight; according to me, he repaired them all.
    >
    > --
    >

    > |Martin Rep
    > |The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
    > |Mahjong News:
    > |www.mahjongnews.com
    > |The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
    > |www.riichi.tk
    > |The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
    > |www.gouden-draak.nl

Bug Video Games