Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

From: the_novikovs@hotmail.com (Combo)

>Dear newsgroupers,
>
>Recently I played a hand with "Four Winds".
>To be short I risked to get Knitted Straight ...
>with a hand: B1455599 D 369 C 258 I was
>waiting for B7 (hand was entirely concealed so far).
>
>On B7 I claim "out" (Knitted Straight 12 pts. + Concealed Hand 2 pts.
>+ No Honors 1 pt. = 15 pts.). Instead I received from computer -30
>pts. for Faulty Declaration ?!
>
>Is it fair enough? It looks like there are still some bugs in 4W
>software.

Vitaly, as much as I like you, I really think it's best, when you think a
software program has a bug, to go to the software's creator. As a software
producer/designer myself, I would prefer that someone who found a bug in my
game would come directly to me with it, rather than post it publicly. If you
did find a bug, he can fix it and later announce that a bug was found and
fixed. (In the case of the mah-jongg games I produced, there's nothing I can
do to fix them, but I'd still prefer that bug reports of my games go through
Activision and me first.)

It does seem that the example you cited was one that you should have been
permitted to win. But maybe there was something else going on that I don't
know about. I think you should ask Arto. You can contact him via the Four
Winds website (his address is given there).

Good luck! - Tom

"Tom Sloper" <tomster@sloperamaNOSPAM.com> writes:

> From: the_novikovs@hotmail.com (Combo)

>> [ bug in Four Winds ]

> Vitaly, as much as I like you, I really think it's best, when you think a
> software program has a bug, to go to the software's creator. As a software
> producer/designer myself, I would prefer that someone who found a bug in my
> game would come directly to me with it, rather than post it publicly. If you

Aw, diddums. If you sell (or give away, as in my case) buggy software,
you should expect the fact to be public. It's information that
customers and might-be customers should be entitled to have.
Moreover, as a software producer/designer myself, I would much prefer
that people confirm with the community that there is a bug before they spend
my time on it. About half of the "bug reports" I receive are actually
a failure to RTFM.

"Julian Bradfield" <jcb@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote :
> Moreover, as a software producer/designer myself, I would much prefer
> that people confirm with the community that there is a bug before they
spend
> my time on it.

I was wondering about your views. Interesting.

> About half of the "bug reports" I receive are actually
> a failure to RTFM.

That's for sure! (^_^)
Cheers - Tom

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

Hi Vitaly

On 2004-05-30 21:18:26 +0200, the_novikovs@hotmail.com (Combo) said:

> Dear newsgroupers,
>
> Recently I played a hand with "Four Winds". To be short I risked to get
> Knitted Straight having B1 D369 C258. I
> managed to draw B4. Finally, with a hand: B1455599 D 369 C 258 I was
> waiting for B7 (hand was entirely concealed so far).
>
> On B7 I claim "out" (Knitted Straight 12 pts. + Concealed Hand 2 pts.
> + No Honors 1 pt. = 15 pts.). Instead I received from computer -30
> pts. for Faulty Declaration ?!
>
> Is it fair enough? It looks like there are still some bugs in 4W
> software.
>
> Vitaly

If your hand was fully concealed, then your claim seems valid to me.
What version of 4W2.0 do you have? Software author Arto Tenkanen has
published a number of bug repairs, I think the current version is
2.05A. I remember I sent him one or two bug reports on the Knitted
Straight; according to me, he repaired them all.

--

|Martin Rep
|The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
|Mahjong News:
|www.mahjongnews.com
|The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
|www.riichi.tk
|The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
|www.gouden-draak.nl

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

Greetings:

Concerning the Knitted Straight, Martin Rep mentions...

> If your hand was fully concealed,

I would like to note that the Knitted Straight does not
need to be fully concealed (you can claim one grouping).

So Vitaly's hand would have been valid in any case
(since it will always have at least 12 points).

Ryan Morris
Mahjong Museum
Kindai Mahjong Magazine
Tokyo