Update

Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

Hi

Just to let you know I have restyled my website. I finally decided to
put away tons of old stuff (probably with lots of dead links... ;-)
A greater section about the forthcoming Open European Mahjong
Championship. With a movie of John O'Connor, the#2 at Tokyo 2002.
--

|Martin Rep
|The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
|Mahjong News:
|www.mahjongnews.com
|The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
|www.riichi.tk
|The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
|www.gouden-draak.nl
14 answers Last reply
More about update
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    where did you get the infos on the italian mahjong championship ?
    i am from italy and i play at dragorosso's club.
    "Martin Rep" <mrep@mahjongnews.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Hi
    >
    > Just to let you know I have restyled my website. I finally decided to
    > put away tons of old stuff (probably with lots of dead links... ;-)
    > A greater section about the forthcoming Open European Mahjong
    > Championship. With a movie of John O'Connor, the#2 at Tokyo 2002.
    > --
    >

    > |Martin Rep
    > |The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
    > |Mahjong News:
    > |www.mahjongnews.com
    > |The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
    > |www.riichi.tk
    > |The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
    > |www.gouden-draak.nl

  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    Hi

    On 2004-06-02 23:53:05 +0200, "dbrn" <doc.brain@tin.it> said:

    > where did you get the infos on the italian mahjong championship ?
    > i am from italy and i play at dragorosso's club.

    Well, to be honest: I subscribed to that tournament, along with three
    of my friends. I was only because of family circumstances that my wife
    and I had to cancel this trip at the very last moment. The three other
    members of our Golden Dragon Club did participate.
    The info about the championship was published on the website of the
    Federazione Italiana Mah-Jongg (www.fimj.it). Besides, I have a good
    contact with its president, Marco Mordenti. Just six months earlier, we
    had a training session about the OEMC-rules at the Kong's club (Forlì).
    (See: http://mahjongnews.com/ecmjnewsltr.htm)

    Greetz

    --

    |Martin Rep
    |The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
    |Mahjong News:
    |www.mahjongnews.com
    |The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
    |www.riichi.tk
    |The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
    |www.gouden-draak.nl
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    i met mordenti last week during the four seasons tournament in Varese; tell
    me when you'll come again in italy ;)
    bye
    Andrea
    > Hi
    >
    > On 2004-06-02 23:53:05 +0200, "dbrn" <doc.brain@tin.it> said:
    >
    > > where did you get the infos on the italian mahjong championship ?
    > > i am from italy and i play at dragorosso's club.
    >
    > Well, to be honest: I subscribed to that tournament, along with three
    > of my friends. I was only because of family circumstances that my wife
    > and I had to cancel this trip at the very last moment. The three other
    > members of our Golden Dragon Club did participate.
    > The info about the championship was published on the website of the
    > Federazione Italiana Mah-Jongg (www.fimj.it). Besides, I have a good
    > contact with its president, Marco Mordenti. Just six months earlier, we
    > had a training session about the OEMC-rules at the Kong's club (Forlì).
    > (See: http://mahjongnews.com/ecmjnewsltr.htm)
    >
    > Greetz
    >

    > > "Martin Rep" <mrep@mahjongnews.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> Just to let you know I have restyled my website. I finally decided to
    > >> put away tons of old stuff (probably with lots of dead links... ;-)
    > >> A greater section about the forthcoming Open European Mahjong
    > >> Championship. With a movie of John O'Connor, the#2 at Tokyo 2002.
    > >> --

    > --
    >

    > |Martin Rep
    > |The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
    > |Mahjong News:
    > |www.mahjongnews.com
    > |The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
    > |www.riichi.tk
    > |The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
    > |www.gouden-draak.nl

  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    Martin Rep <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote in message news:<40be279b$0$93324$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>...
    > Just to let you know I have restyled my website. I finally decided to
    > put away tons of old stuff (probably with lots of dead links... ;-)
    > A greater section about the forthcoming Open European Mahjong
    > Championship. With a movie of John O'Connor, the#2 at Tokyo 2002.

    Great update. Here are some comments:
    (1) In spite of what the Chinese/Japanese called them, the two
    "Chinese Official Rules" (or "Official International Rules" in English
    and Japanese) are not the complete rules, they were only the scoring
    summary.
    (2) It would be a lot better if the readers don't have to tilt their
    heads (or their computer monitors) 90-degrees to read the text.

    Great work, as usual. Thanks.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    On 2004-06-03 17:22:05 +0200, d_lau@my-deja.com (Dee) said:

    > Martin Rep <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote in message
    >> Just to let you know I have restyled my website. I finally decided to
    >> put away tons of old stuff (probably with lots of dead links... ;-)
    >> A greater section about the forthcoming Open European Mahjong
    >> Championship. With a movie of John O'Connor, the#2 at Tokyo 2002.
    >
    > Great update. Here are some comments: (1) In spite of what the
    > Chinese/Japanese called them, the two
    > "Chinese Official Rules" (or "Official International Rules" in English
    > and Japanese) are not the complete rules, they were only the scoring
    > summary.
    Agreed. Perhaps the JMOC will publish a new version; I do hope this
    will happen well before the OEMC.

    > (2) It would be a lot better if the readers don't have to tilt their
    > heads (or their computer monitors) 90-degrees to read the text.

    You mean the text is too small? I try to make it as readable for any
    browser, so I am a bit surprised. Can more NG-members give me some
    feedback, please?

    > Great work, as usual. Thanks.

    Thanks. I am a bit proud of the John O'Connor-movie ;-) Finally
    editing the footage I shot in Tokyo 2002...

    --

    |Martin Rep
    |The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
    |Mahjong News:
    |www.mahjongnews.com
    |The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
    |www.riichi.tk
    |The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
    |www.gouden-draak.nl
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    >d_lau@my-deja.com (Dee) said:
    > > (2) It would be a lot better if the readers don't have to tilt their
    > > heads (or their computer monitors) 90-degrees to read the text.

    "Martin Rep" <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote
    > You mean the text is too small? I try to make it as readable for any
    > browser, so I am a bit surprised. Can more NG-members give me some
    > feedback, please?

    I haven't been all through the whole thing, but I didn't see anything
    rotated 90 degrees...

    New site organization looks great, Martin. My site needs an overhaul too.
    Someday...

    Tom
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    "Tom Sloper" <tomster@sloperamaNOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<lqOvc.39353$3x.30998@attbi_s54>...
    > I haven't been all through the whole thing, but I didn't see anything
    > rotated 90 degrees...

    Hmmmm... I tried it on several computer and it always come out rotated
    90-degrees by default (heading on the left). But then all the
    computers were running Windows with the MS Internet Explorer. I have
    to manually rotate them with the Acrobat reader. No big deal, just a
    little unexpected. Readability is not a problem because one can
    always zoom in with Acrobat.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    Dee wrote:

    >> (2) It would be a lot better if the readers don't have to tilt their
    >> heads (or their computer monitors) 90-degrees to read the text.

    http://www.its2.uidaho.edu/help_docs/images/pdf/rotate_view_tools.gif
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    "Dee" <d_lau@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > "Tom Sloper" <tomster@sloperamaNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > I haven't been all through the whole thing, but I didn't see anything
    > > rotated 90 degrees...
    >
    > Hmmmm... I tried it on several computer and it always come out rotated
    > 90-degrees by default (heading on the left). But then all the
    > computers were running Windows with the MS Internet Explorer. I have
    > to manually rotate them with the Acrobat reader. No big deal, just a
    > little unexpected. Readability is not a problem because one can
    > always zoom in with Acrobat.

    I believe what Dee meant was the Complete English rulebook in Adobe Acrobat
    file, URL:
    http://www.mahjongnews.com/pdf/Official%20International%20Rulebook%20English.pdf
    It is linked from the "How to play..." page
    (http://www.mahjongnews.com/chineseofficial.htm). Other PDF files for Part
    1, Part 2, etc., on this page are horizontally displayed. And all HTML pages
    I visited look OK.

    Hi Martin, congratulations to your redone site! I have had a quick tour of
    the site with this quick comment to make (hope you don't mind receiving it
    via this public NG ^_^):

    Since your site is about mahjong news, it would be much helpful for readers
    if you provide a list of all archived articles. I mean a *list* that
    displays the titles/topics of articles, in comparison to your existing
    "Search" section.

    Keep up your work!

    Cofa Tsui
    www.iMahjong.com
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    > I believe what Dee meant was the Complete English rulebook in Adobe
    Acrobat
    > file, URL:

    http://www.mahjongnews.com/pdf/Official%20International%20Rulebook%20English.pdf

    Yes, I see, that's rotated 90 degrees. I imagine Martin didn't mean for it
    to be read on the computer screen, but rather it's laid out this way to
    facilitate printing.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:31:07 GMT, "Tom Sloper"
    <tomster@sloperamaNOSPAM.com> wrote:

    >> I believe what Dee meant was the Complete English rulebook in Adobe
    >Acrobat
    >> file, URL:
    >>
    >http://www.mahjongnews.com/pdf/Official%20International%20Rulebook%20English.pdf
    >

    >Yes, I see, that's rotated 90 degrees. I imagine Martin didn't mean for it
    >to be read on the computer screen, but rather it's laid out this way to
    >facilitate printing.

    Tom is right: it's fit to print.
    Thanks for all the feedback, esp. the idea of some archive is great
    (thanks Cofa ;-)
    Of course some items will return, esp. the section with the rules. But
    the general idea is to go back to the roots: being a *newspaper* about
    mahjong on the internet. So the website shall have more actualities,
    while the older pieces will disappear after a given time. After all,
    we don't have Tom's FAQ's for nothing (~_^)

    Greetz

    |Martin Rep
    |The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
    |Mahjong News:
    |www.mahjongnews.com
    |The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
    |www.riichi.tk
    |The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
    |www.gouden-draak.nl
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    Martin Rep <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote in message news:<gjucd0dpapllheg9d0172pp6277nivuuqc@4ax.com>...
    > On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:31:07 GMT, "Tom Sloper"
    > <tomster@sloperamaNOSPAM.com> wrote:
    >
    > >> I believe what Dee meant was the Complete English rulebook in Adobe
    > Acrobat
    > >> file, URL:
    > >>
    > >http://www.mahjongnews.com/pdf/Official%20International%20Rulebook%20English.pdf
    > >

    > >Yes, I see, that's rotated 90 degrees. I imagine Martin didn't mean for it
    > >to be read on the computer screen, but rather it's laid out this way to
    > >facilitate printing.
    > >

    > Tom is right: it's fit to print.

    But you can have it both ways. Your pages are set to fit portrait
    mode printing, so the contents are rotated to fit the page. But if
    you set the paper orientation to landscape, then you can have it be
    both readable on the screen AND be able to print them out on paper.
    There is no reason to restrict yourself to portrait mode paper
    orientation.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    > Martin Rep <mrep@mahjongnews.com> wrote in message

    > > Acrobat
    > > >>

    >http://www.mahjongnews.com/pdf/Official%20International%20Rulebook%20Englis
    h.pdf

    > > >Yes, I see, that's rotated 90 degrees. I imagine Martin didn't mean for
    it
    > > >to be read on the computer screen, but rather it's laid out this way to
    > > >facilitate printing.
    > > >

    > > Tom is right: it's fit to print.

    But it is not necessary because the program will actually do this for you -
    see also below...

    > But you can have it both ways. Your pages are set to fit portrait
    > mode printing, so the contents are rotated to fit the page. But if
    > you set the paper orientation to landscape, then you can have it be
    > both readable on the screen AND be able to print them out on paper.
    > There is no reason to restrict yourself to portrait mode paper
    > orientation.

    I have viewed and printed files with both horizontal and vertical pages in
    the same documents. When I need the pages printed they will come out the
    same way it was created. No setup is needed before printing. (By the way, I
    use Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5 under Windows 98.)

    Martin, all you need is time to rotate those pages and post it back again, I
    believe ^_^

    Cofa Tsui
    www.iMahjong.com
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.mahjong (More info?)

    On 2004-06-21 17:19:07 +0200, "Cofa Tsui" <cofatsui@hotmail.com> said:

    > Martin, all you need is time to rotate those pages and post it back again, I
    > believe ^_^

    Time, that exactly what I am running out of... But it's on my ToDo
    list from now (~_^)
    --

    |Martin Rep
    |The Independent Internet Mahjong Newspaper
    |Mahjong News:
    |www.mahjongnews.com
    |The Dutch Championship Riichi Mahjong:
    |www.riichi.tk
    |The Golden Dragon Hong Kong Mahjong Club:
    |www.gouden-draak.nl

Video Games