THG forgot a good 5.1 headset

masked

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2005
The Zalman ZM-RS6F
http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=110

They make a headset box too but it's sold separately. The end of the cord is split into center, front, and rear 1/8" jacks, so I just plugged it right into my sound card.

I have gamed with it for a while now, it's great. I got mine for $80, I'm sure the price has gone down a little, so it fits with the others. Just putting it out there that it's another great gaming headset. THG should have included it!!!

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Funny enough I actually did a review of the Zalman's a fair while back, which is probably why I forgot to them this time... soz m8 etc. However being the cool and popular guy that I am (...please be my friend...XD) and having copyright on the review, for your viewing pleasure may I present one Zalman headset review. We'll see about sticking it onto the main review, but copyright is a sticky thing when it comes to reprinting articles.

(Do excuse the drivelling btw, this was done at a time when 5.1 headsets really were new…)

Cheers,

Aaron

Zalman Theatre 6 5.1
Price: £39 Manufacturer: Zalman

A 5.1 surround sound pair of headphones? Are you gone completely bonkers?! Well, apparently not… and what’s more, Zalman seem to have provided us with the real deal here. Alright, so yes, maybe they do look just a tad too futuristic, but I mean, come on, 5.1 in headphones, it’s bound to look a little 70’s Sci-Fi on its first run.

Stick these babies on during a game of Thief: Deadly Shadows, Doom III or any other recent game however and you will notice the difference. These babies can pick up noises that other headphones simply wouldn’t have had a chance with, and what’s more we found positional awareness heightened to levels before only achieved with a full surround sound speaker system and destructo DIY cabling job to boot.

Outside of games however they do have problems with things like DVD’s and music, though some tweaking with the equaliser should set you straight. The major problem with the Zalman is that after an hour or so of wearing them you’re ears will begin to feel like they’re being cooped up in a condom (And you know how it feels to be cooped up in a condom, how? –Ed)

Add to that then the fact that you have to shell out an extra £8 for a clip on microphone and you’ll look the right Uhura at LAN parties and we could forgive gamers for looking to give the Zalman a miss, though on balance they are well worth the buy.

Aaron McKenna

masked

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2005
you know now that I think about it, I think I read the review and that's what made me buy the headphones...

I guess the only criticism I have about these headphones, and possibly an unavoidable one, is that they are heavy and take some getting used to.

But yea, thanks!