A HP workstation and a problem with dual displays

darth_coffee

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hello, I'm a new member here and what's a better way to start a monday than with a problem?

I've got a HP Compaq 8000 Elite workstation with a NVidia GeForce 310 gpu with a DVI and Display port. I have a display attached to the DVI-port, but I'd like to attach another display to the motherboard's vga port (the other display being slightly older with no other ways to connect it).

The problem is that I can't get any picture to the display connected to the motherboard. Is this because the NVidia gpu? Is there any way to get a picture to the second display without having to buy any adapters or so on?

darth_coffee

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Yes I have, but the NVidia controlpanel doesn't recognize my second display. Is this problem caused by the fact that I have a separate gpu and it overrides the one on the motherboard?

ShadeTreeTech

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Yes.

When you install a discrete graphics card into a computer, the mainboard recognizes this and turns off the on-board video. Not many mainboards will let you run the on-board with a video card.

nigelren

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

You probably need to buy something like http://store.nvidia.com/store/nvidia/en_US/pd/productID.219270700?resid=Tgeq6QoHAtcAAAzud3QAAAAN&rests=1309125352585 to allow you to connect the VGA monitor to the Displayport connection on your graphics card.

I can verify ShadeTreeTech. The onboard on these is disabled. However, I recommend NOT using a displayport to VGA adapter. They SUCK badly. We have stopped buying them due to stability issues.

On your setup, what you need to do is connect a DVI to VGA adapter to the VGA monitor and Displayport to DVI to your other monitor.

Bob Matteson

Honorable
May 27, 2013
Yes, this is an old thread, but I do know the answer.

On your computer, there are likely 2 DisplayPorts. One on the main chassis, and one on the DVI add-on card. If you have the add-on card, the motherboard DisplayPort is disabled. The one on the card is live, however. Plug into it (you'll have both displays plugged into the card with different interfaces) and it will work. Every time.