streaking monitor

My monitor has started showing lines lines that gray out the screen with
streaks. If there is a word on the white screen, there will be a gray
background blur all the way accross the screen. If there is a paragraph or
wide shaded area, there is a gray steak for each line. The line moves with
the print as I scoll. This does this in all programs. Brightness, contrast,
degauze, on the other settings on the monitor have no effect on the problem.

How old is this monitor?

Has it been ever repaired?

Check to make sure that:

1) All monitor cables are correctly connected (power and VGA signal) and
secured to the connectors.

2) Check for viruses (anti-virus) and spywares.

3) Update to the latest drivers, video card and motherboard chipset
drivers.

4) If they exist, make sure that you install the monitor's drivers.

5) Check in Display Properties and make sure that the settings are correct
for you monitor and video card.

If all the above does not solve you problem, it is more than likely the the
monitor is "beginning" the fail and you should consider replacing it.

"ScttLee" <ScttLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My monitor has started showing lines lines that gray out the screen with
> streaks. If there is a word on the white screen, there will be a gray
> background blur all the way accross the screen. If there is a paragraph
> or
> wide shaded area, there is a gray steak for each line. The line moves
> with
> the print as I scoll. This does this in all programs. Brightness,
> contrast,
> degauze, on the other settings on the monitor have no effect on the
> problem.

SERVO

ScttLee wrote:
> My monitor has started showing lines lines that gray out the screen with
> streaks. If there is a word on the white screen, there will be a gray
> background blur all the way accross the screen. If there is a paragraph or
> wide shaded area, there is a gray steak for each line. The line moves with
> the print as I scoll. This does this in all programs. Brightness, contrast,
> degauze, on the other settings on the monitor have no effect on the problem.

Time for a new monitor! It'll most likely cost more to fix that one than
the price of a nice new LCD!

--
Servo
"Heh, heh! Giggidy, giggidy, giggidy! Heh!" Glen Quagmire, Quahog, R.I.

In news:qqeBe.1139$dX5.718@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com,
Servo <SPAMMERS@getcancer.nuts.anddie> typed:

>> My monitor has started showing lines lines that gray out the
>> screen
>> with streaks. If there is a word on the white screen, there
>> will be
>> a gray background blur all the way accross the screen. If
>> there is
>> a paragraph or wide shaded area, there is a gray steak for
>> each
>> line. The line moves with the print as I scoll. This does
>> this in
>> all programs. Brightness, contrast, degauze, on the other
>> settings
>> on the monitor have no effect on the problem.
>
> Time for a new monitor! It'll most likely cost more to fix that
> one
> than the price of a nice new LCD!

As a general rule, repairing a monitor usually costs more than
the monitor is worth and it's not cost-effective to even try.
However, I wouldn't be so quick to state "Time for a new monitor"
without knowing more about what it is and how old it is.

If the monitor is new enough and/or large enough, it sometimes
*is* cost-effective to repair rather than replace it.

Please reply to the newsgroup

sicuro

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I was having the same issues *sorry to revive an old topic* and it was the cables after all. LCD monitor btw.

DanaNicole76

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I just wanted to add that the cables was the problem for my LCD monitor streaking problem AND for my screen moving its position.
So to anybody that may have doubted that it could be the wires, just check to make sure. I almost didn't even bother checking that before ordering myself a new monitor!
Glad I checked!

So thank you to the original poster and all the people who replied! My problem is fixed!!

3fishes

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
The cables was the fix for me too, unplugged them and plugged them back in and all was good.
Thanks to everyone who posted.