Please Help Resolve a Problem

rejavanation

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I have a Dell XPS 500 running windows XP Media Edition Service Pack 2. Pentium D, 2.80 G. I recently started having a major problem.

My computer will just just off unexpectedly. It doesn't even power down, it just shuts off and the yellow blinking light on my CPU comes on. I checked the event log and I keep getting the same two errors: Event ID 7023 - The Uninterruptible Power Supply service terminated with the following error: The UPS service could not access the specified Comm Port and Event ID 2482 The UPS service could not access the specified Comm Port. Could you please tell me what I can do to fix this?

Sometimes I can work for days without this happening and other times it happens several times in a hour where I cannot even get my computer back up and running.

Thank you.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you're running a UPS, have you tried connecting the computer directly to the wall plug or a new battery? Very possible your PSU is dying.

rejavanation

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I believe the UPS is internal. When I go to the power setting from my control panel I see UPS from APC but it does not provide any information other than that. It is really annoying me. I've spent money on surge protectors etc...I just cannot identify the problem. The event log just says this:

The UPS service could not access the specified Comm Port.

The Uninterruptible Power Supply service terminated with the following error: The UPS service could not access the specified Comm Port.

These two errors are in the event log back to back. They happen periodically. Sometimes once in a few hours, sometimes literally every 5 minutes. I don't know what to do about it and my warranty on my systems has expired.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
A UPS, Uninterruptable Power Supply, is an external box that has a battery so if there is an interruption in your power, surge, it goes out, whatever, your computer and monitor will stay on so you can shut it down and not damage anything and save data. Usually there are 3 plugs, could be more, that are connected to the battery and several surge protector plugs. What you are referring to in the Control Panel is how Windows can link to a UPS. I currently have APC UPSs for my computers but don't use the settings you're referring to in the Control Panel because the UPSs came with software so in the Control Panel I have it set to None. If you haven't done so, change the setting to None and see if that corrects the problem. A Surge Protector is not the same as a UPS, it is only meant to protect devices from surges and is not a battery backup

TRENDING THREADS