LockMate

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004
I just got a new computer and apparently the shop had chosen to use raid1. I have 2 200GB MaxtorDiamond10s.
I understand that raid1 mirrors (copy) its data to the other harddrive. I bought two 200GB to increase the storage potential. However this is lost by raid1.
So my question is: What do I have to do to get back to the classical master-slave configuration? Can I just reconnect the harddrives into the SATA connectors?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You will have to go into the raid bios for the raid controller that the drives are connected to and delete the raid. Sata doesn't have master/slave, only one drive can be connected to each channel so it is not needed.
I believe maxtor diamond 10 drives are ide though. If your drives are sata they are probably maxtor 8mb cache drives, I think it is the ultra series or something.

Either way you will need to go into the raid bios and delete the raid. Watch for what key you need to hit during bootup to enter the raid bios.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

pat

Expert
Remember, raid 1 is supposed to be safe..so, remove both drive and install just one on a standard IDE connector, either ATA or SATA. If the drive boot, and all your data is there, then take the other drive to the next connector, format it and use it. If it fail, then put it back in the array and use the drive you did not play with to rebuilt the array. Once there, you will have to backup you data, then remove and format and reinstall your software.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

LockMate

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004
Alright, Ill try that.
Is it true that there is a performance gain even with raid1? Since the two harddrives are identical it is possible to read from both - lower read time?
One more thing, I have the "safe removal of hardware" icon on my status bar. It indicates my two harddrives are now removable... The icon was there since i bought the computer.
Anybody know how to get rid of it?

pat

Expert
Well, I dont know. but for me, RAID 1 is a good way to waste HDD space...SATA is hot swappable, meaning that if you had a external case or a drawer, you could remove your device without shutting down the computer. Just like USB or firewire removable device. As for removing it, well I dont know...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!