dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
Hello guys,
I have 2 maxtor 20gb hdd wired on to my onboard Raid controller in Raid 0 config. My RAID is formatted into a C: and D:, both in NTFS with Windows XP. However, recently I started "cleaning up" my C: disk space, I found out that, even though I deleted some really big folders (like maybe 200mb), the deleted disk space do not reflect when I check my availible disk space in My Computer.

So, I restarted a few times and deleted more, this time these free space were reflected finally. But still, the "free space" from the delted files on my first attempt still do not show up.

Now, I just deletd a huge folder of 2GB, and this 2GB does not show up again. I have already used Norton Disk Doctor and the chkdsk to scan my C:, but no error shows up. I restarted and still the space is not back. Well, I am only left with 900MB and I seriously need this space back, and the last thing I want is to reformat.

Oddly enough, this PC and HDD are not new. This problem has never occured before in the past. One thing to note though, when I delete these files, the files seem to be deleted instantly. No need to wait at all. Even the 2GB folder was gone in a second. Any ideas?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like they're simply being sent to the recycle bin.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

I was thinking that, but decided not to post as, surely no one can be <b>that</b> stupid :tongue:

<A HREF="http://www.moviewavs.com/MP3S/TV_Shows/Simpsons/flanderssong.mp3" target="_new">Audio Sig</A>|<A HREF="http://community.tomshardware.com/images/logo_black_xmas2.gif" target="_new">I made this!</A>

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
lol, of course they aren't. Just checked it to make sure anyway, and sure my recycle bin is empty. Does this smell of harddisks going down? Or perhaps my Raid array is going mad?

Anyway, I am using windows XP pro with SP1. Onboard RAID controller is HPT370.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's probably XP's System Restore. It automatically creates files from time to time so that Windows can be restored when needed.
Check the folder named <b>System Volume Information</b> (it's a hidden file) to see how big it is (it stores all info that needs for System Restore). Sometimes, mine could get it big as 4GB so I had to delete old files in there to get my space back.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.