HDD Not Detected...

ojmyster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, I've got a few technical questions about the power on and detectino sequence of hard disks.
I have a hard drive (I'm sure everyone else has one of those too...). On turning on my PC, the hard drive spins up and the read write head seeks position apparantly correctly. There are no adverse clicking sounds from the hard drive. Everything seems normal.... however. BIOS is unable to detect the drive. The screen says... 'Detecting Primary Master (Press F4 to Skip)'. After about 4 seconds it comes up saying 'Primary Master - None'.
I do not think there is a problem with the controller as I have previously and since used the controller to run hard disks and CD/DVD drived of the same channel.
Can anyone suggest a reason my hard disk is not being detected?
Also... at bios detection, is there any information read off the platter for example containing information on the hard drive? At detection is any information such as thepartition table been loaded into the HDD's controller card that woudl stop it being detected were the information corrupted?
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanx Josh

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check your HD's jumper is set correctly and BIOS (Standard CMOS) to see the Primary Master is not being set as NONE.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.