Sign in with
Your question

KVM question

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 18, 2005 3:31:18 PM

Just wondering if using a KVM switch creates mouse lag? (or any type of lag for that matter)

More about : kvm question

July 18, 2005 10:56:55 PM

I've never heard of or experienced lag. I have 2 kvm switches on both my bench and my server desk (both 4 ports). One's a zonenet and the other is a linksys. I would recommend them to anyone.

One of my friends has one that has a floor stomp pedal which is really cool. I can't think of the name but yea.

Back to the original query, kvm switches are very simple by design and do no processing of signals. If the one you're looking at does, then it's not worth it. Just out of curiosity, is this for gaming?
July 19, 2005 2:56:06 PM

Hehe yes, this is a gaming question :)  I'm thinking of building a separate rig for games, but I don't really want to get rid of my current one. jw if anyone has ever noticed any sort of lag while using one during games. Also, I've been reading that some KVMs dont support multimedia mice- as in scroll wheels or extra buttons. Is this true for all KVMs?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by adrums63 on 07/19/05 01:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 22, 2005 8:09:52 PM

I doubt it is true for all kvms. I'm sure a usb kvm passes through those functions. The Avocent kvm I'm on right (only ps2 and vga ports) now supports my scroll wheel, if this mouse had extra buttons I'd try them as well. Some of those fancy mouse buttons wont work unless you use usb so you should be safe if you get a usb kvm :) 

The only time I've seen mouse lag on a kvm is when we had 3 Cybex kvms daisy chained at work, lol.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Folken on 07/22/05 01:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!